Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   VAX or NO???? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16080)

quixb 06-21-2006 12:44 AM

VAX or NO????

Ok mamas spam me with info!! I have seen sooooooo much info out there and I talk to my dr and I am torn about vax. I have a 4 year old who has had it all INCLUDING chck pox.........and my 5 mth old is on schedlue, but at her 4 mth they gave her 4 shots and she got sick and was vomiting :yuck: I hate it!!

I have heard that by giving your child the chkn pox vax so then they dont get chkn pox it is bad. That your child should get chkn pox because it helps to build other immunitys to other illness????

SO I am asking for moms to tell me what they do..either way. I want both sides and why you do what you do :)

Everyone I know vax on schedlue without question so you mamas are the only ones who will tell me different :)

Thanks

PLEASE *keep it nice* even if you disagree with someone else! Feel free to PM me too :goodvibes:

Lucky Child 06-21-2006 12:52 AM

Re: VAX or NO????

I am just now in the process of deciding what I want to do. So I have stopped vaxing altogether until I can make an educated decision. I bought three books off of amazon and am starting to read through them. All the websites are really overwhelming for me, so I thought books would be a better route...
These are the ones I bought:
What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children's Vaccinations
The Vaccine Guide: Risks and Benefits for Children and Adults
Vaccinations: A Thoughtful Parent's Guide: How to Make Safe, Sensible Decisions about the Risks, Benefits, and Alternatives
HTH a little :)

comfybuns 06-21-2006 06:36 AM

Rachel recommended some great boks for you to look at. I have hard time telling someone what they should do because each family is different.
We had originally planned on selectively vaxing but when we broke down what we were afraid of the most it seemed unreasonable for us to vax at all.
Measles, mumps and rubella were once common childhood diseases. Chickenpox...imagine in 20 years. None of those children will probaly have witnessed chicken pox and therefor it will be a scary thing for them. We consider it a part of childhood, and just went through it with our 3rd child a few weeks ago.
Tetanus, dipthera, pertussis- tetanus is NOT a common disease, nor will you likely see it in a child. Tetanus is a disease of the sick elderly and more commonly of IV drug users...NOT healthy children who step on nails. Diptheria, when was the last time you heard of someone havg diptheria? Pertussis is a scary thing BUT vaccination is not foolproof. In areas where pertussis goes through many of the cases are in fully vaccinated children. My now 4 year old had pertussis and was vaccinated against it. His younger brother who had NO vaccinations for it never caught it.
Polio is obviously a scary disease BUT the only cases of Polio in a long long time in the US have originated frn the vaccine! Figure that one out!
Prevnar, also known as the ear infection vaccine, obviously unneccessary.
HTH
Jenn

MamaZ 06-21-2006 07:01 AM

I'm not going to get the chicken pox vax for my DD (or any future DC). My DS had it but I see no reason for it. I had the chicken pox and I'm fine.

I also had rubella as a child and menangitis runs rampid in NJ so gosh knows what else we have over here. That's the main reason I chose to vax. But the chicken pox vax just seems silly to me. I think if I lived in a different state I probably wouldn't vax my DC.

keegans_mommy 06-21-2006 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comfybuns
Polio is obviously a scary disease BUT the only cases of Polio in a long long time in the US have originated frn the vaccine! Figure that one out!

I mention this every vax'ing thread but Polio has been renamed so be aware ladies! Polio has NOT been erradidated but it's now called Spinal Menengitis.

This coming from my girls doctor, she had Polio/spinal menengitis as a teenager so she's seen it first hand.

Anyway, both of my girls (11 and 7) are fully vax'd including the chicken pox vax and Tiffany had a vax (can't recall the name of it) but it was recalled and they stopped giving it due to bad reactions. My boys (4 and 2) are not finished. Keegan stopped at 3 years and Nate stopped at 18 months.

We stopped just recently when our family all had mercury ladened flu shots in January. Tiffany already had Asperger's (high functioning autisim) and claire has ADHD. But what got us into the act of investigating is AFTER we had the vax's and Tiffany's Aspie symtoms sky rocketed. It was so obvious, day and night! We put ALL vax's on hold until we investigated further.

When we investigated and didn't like what the ingredients of all the vax's were and asked "why the HECK do they put that in there?" We looked at statistics for people in general getting diseases as opposed to who gets what after a vax. Most cases come from getting the vax's themselves and most of the diseases and illness's you vax for were once common childhood illness's. The only one that scares me is Polio but it's still around anyway :headscratch:

We didn't make our final decision to not vax anymore until we had a back up plan to keep our kids healthy and safe and we were already using homeopathy as our major source of healthcare so it was an easy choice. We know where to get everything from and are getting these remedies a bit at a time to have on hand.

As for telling our docs: we haven't been back as of yet and now that we are moving, we won't have to. When we do move, we are going closer to natural minded medical doctors so we will seek them out and it will be absolutely no problem mentioning to them that our kids will not be finishing their vax's.

earthybirthymom 06-21-2006 08:55 PM

This is such a personal subject and each decision is 100% up to each and every parent, i believe. With that being said, our family no longer vaccinates. There are so many reasons i could go into. The personal experience of 3 months of recurrent rashes, my daughter stopping growing at 9 months of age, the tests after test for leukemia and the skin biopsies she had performed that have left a scar on her leg. But those are just a few reasons. Our number one reason for not vaccinating is because the goverment and health care professionals have not yet come out with vaccinations that actually benefit my children.

Everyone has different genes and dna, we learn that so early. Therefor every single child can react to a vaccination differently. The problem withour current vaxes are that they are made to react to the cookie cutter dna. In other words unless you have your child tested at infancy to know exactly what traits they carry, you have no garuntee that they will NOT have bad reactions to the vaxes.

Take for example our family. 6 months ago i was diagnosed with Graves disease, an immune deficiency. This is genetic as well as hereditary. Both my girls could inherit it or carry the gene for it, but unless we test their dna we have no way of knowing. Vaccinations are meant ONLY for those with up to par immune systems. Unbeknowest to us, our eldest daughter carried my traits for the immune disorder and thus she had a life-threatening reaction to the vaccinations. We wont take the risk and gamble with our 2nd daughter.

So thats just our number one reason and it doesnt mean that i think poorly of those who do vaccinate, it is just our reasoning along with the other supporting info of the ingredients in vaccinations. Along with the whole scare tactic of epidemics. Those dont work for us. In canada a lot of people arent vaccinated and i find it hard to believe that if there is an epidemic that it will just stop at the canadian border, kwim???:laugh:

Thankfully our pediatrician supports our decision 100%. He does not pressure us to do otherwise and agreed that because of the state of a likely inherited immune problem from me, it wouldnt be wise to gamble with the girls. He has suggested delayed vaxes but has yet to mention it again.

9800Emily 06-21-2006 10:36 PM

:hugs: I know what a hard descision this is. After my dd had a reaction at 2 and then 4 months, we have decided to put all vax on hold for two to three years. I would prefer that dd never get another vax, but dh thinks we should try one when she is older. I talked with a nuroligist and he told me that he selectivly vax's his own kids, and that he would never vax a child under 3 years of age. His explination was that the brain was still developing to rapidly and vaxing durring this development (in his opinion) would be careless and dangerous. So why do they vax baby's :dontlikeit: . MDC has a vax fourm that is full of helpfull info. I started a thread a couple days ago, and had lots of helpful info. Here is the link http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...ad.php?t=15786.

Velvetpage 06-23-2006 06:16 AM

I vax on schedule, but the schedule in Ontario is saner - no more than two at a time.

I vax for two main reasons: 1) I want my kids protected from outbreaks, and 2) I want the immuno-deficient people I know, like my elderly grandparents, to be protected from any bugs my kids might otherswise give them.

Many years ago, my grandmother came to visit us and went home the day before my siblings started coming down with chicken pox. Nana fought off a case of shingles for the next several months, adding to her other health issues to make her quite ill. Meanwhile, my youngest sister was under a year old, and was briefly hospitalized with the chicken pox. So I'm getting that one for my kids, too.

ruca 06-23-2006 06:45 AM

http://909shot.com/

I love this above site.. National Vaccine Information Center (NVIC)... there is tons of great info on there. It is not a bashing dont or do site though. Best way to make a decision on such a life altering choice is to BE INFORMED, EDUCATED.

ruca 06-23-2006 06:46 AM

Wanted to add, I did vax two of my DC, and my youngest is not vaxed at all.. and by FAR my healthiest child thus far.