Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   yeast (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1612)

CMamma 04-26-2006 05:23 PM

yeast

DS has a yeast rash. Do I have to use Nystatin the doc gave? The ped said no CDs also b/c the wash won't kill the yeast.

driftymaer 04-26-2006 07:16 PM

Re: yeast

We went round and round for months with Thrush with my dd-you can use the monistat from the drug store also on it-the Nystatin takes a long time to help clear it up. I ended up having to boil everything that she came in contact with and also all of my nursing bras. I'm not sure about boiling the diapers but boiling them with vinegar is the only way to kill the yeast. We were not in cloth yet, but that is why we switched-the sposies were doing a number on her. I had to give her yogurt everyday-the type with the live active cultures and I took the acidopolus (sp) tablets. At every diaper change I would put her in the sink and wash her rear with aveeno baby wash and let her air dry for as long as possible, then put the nystatin on with a balmex barrier over it (balmex is easier to wash off) hers actually ended up so bad that she was bleeding even with the nystatin and everything else-if it gets that bad the dr can give you stronger stuff for it. I think it was Bactroban along with the nystatin that finally got rid of it. You can also try the Gentian Violet-most drug stores carry it, but it will turn him purple for a few days. Sorry if I'm rambling-I'm trying to remember everything that we had to do to get rid of it. Good Luck.

CMamma 04-26-2006 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by driftymaer
We went round and round for months with Thrush with my dd-you can use the monistat from the drug store also on it-the Nystatin takes a long time to help clear it up. I ended up having to boil everything that she came in contact with and also all of my nursing bras. I'm not sure about boiling the diapers but boiling them with vinegar is the only way to kill the yeast. We were not in cloth yet, but that is why we switched-the sposies were doing a number on her. I had to give her yogurt everyday-the type with the live active cultures and I took the acidopolus (sp) tablets. At every diaper change I would put her in the sink and wash her rear with aveeno baby wash and let her air dry for as long as possible, then put the nystatin on with a balmex barrier over it (balmex is easier to wash off) hers actually ended up so bad that she was bleeding even with the nystatin and everything else-if it gets that bad the dr can give you stronger stuff for it. I think it was Bactroban along with the nystatin that finally got rid of it. You can also try the Gentian Violet-most drug stores carry it, but it will turn him purple for a few days. Sorry if I'm rambling-I'm trying to remember everything that we had to do to get rid of it. Good Luck.

Thanks! I am willing to try it all! I hate to not use my CDs though. DS is one of those babies that have reactions to everything, & the chemicals in sposies really do a # on him. I'll stick w/the CDs but I'll have to get more FB about washing them... to turn the water heater up more or I've also heard that sun will kill yeast - maybe I'll have to put up a makeshift laundry line & sun them outsite.

Any FB is greatly appreciated. I don't see why I can't CD I mean, I'm not supposed to throw away his clothes right? :) Just not sure how to wash to make sure it's all ok & the rest of us don't catch it. Right now he's naked w/just a blanket.

jenmamahen 04-26-2006 08:22 PM

I think you're safe to still CD. My son and I passed thrush back and forth when he was nursing, and I didn't throw away all my bras!! Vingear can kill the yeast, as can really high temps (wash and dry on hot). Try a web search for yeast infections in babies and see what info you turn up. I know that Dr. William Crook has a website called "The Yeast Connection". http://www.yeastconnection.com/
He had lots of good info for me when I was battling thrush. FWIW, I didn't find the Nystatin cream to be effective at all. Naked time in the sun would probably help. If he's eating solids, you can give him yogurt, which will help knock out those nasty yeast bacteria. Stoneyfield Farm's Yo Baby is a great, all natural yogurt.

ltelly00 04-27-2006 02:03 AM

We had thrush and got the bum rash from it. I still used my CDs. I just washed with some bleach, then a load with vinegar and HOT HOT HOT water and dried on high heat. Maybe not the best for them, but I wasn't going to put sposies on a raw bum!!!!

FitMommyOf2 04-27-2006 08:09 AM

(((Hugs))) mama,
I never had any experience w/yeast *knockonwood* but I hope your lil one will get rid of it soon!!

Btw, I think Northern Essence has a better bum butter that is supposed to help w/yeast infections?

Just checked, they do!:Better Butt(er) Cream

Quote:

Now I bet you are asking yourself what the heck is this stuff?? We came up with a cream that you can use when your baby has a yeast infection and it WILL NOT irratate it! SAFE to use on cloth diapers. It has GSE in it and we triple whip it to give it a fluffy apperance and smooth texture.

Available in a 2oz Tub.

Price: $5.50
http://www.northernessence.com/catal...=2&category=24

HTH!