Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   pacifiers--what do you think? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162313)

gbird1 06-07-2007 04:30 PM

pacifiers--what do you think?

Im on the verge of putting a binkie in my almost 6 week old's mouth! I feed her til she's full, she often falls asleep and pops it out, and I drain both breasts, and she's got lots of full dipes. Lately she's been getting more fussy, and especially last night in her cosleeper, she's been waking up fidgeting in her swaddle immediately after I put her down after feedings, and I think she may stay asleep longer if I use a binkie. I feel like we have established ourselves pretty well breastfeeding, she's gaining steadily now. I didn't want to rely on a binkie, and I still plan to nurse the same amount of feedings. But Im also not getting anything done in between feedings anymore, even eating like I should.

What do you all think about pacifiers, and limiting its use? Im lucky, she has been a good baby, often sitting contentedly in her vibrator chair for up to a half hour after feedings, giving me time to eat, etc. But recently, not the case...maybe a growth spurt, but will my breasts support it?? I feel so drained at the end!

carleyann'smommy 06-07-2007 04:35 PM

Re: pacifiers--what do you think?

Some babies just have a strong desire to suck. I don't think a binkie will hurt her she will either take to it or not. You don't sound like one of those mammas that will use it just to keep her quite. My DD is 6mths and she needs it to go to sleep or otherwise she would be using me as a paci. She has had it since the hospital and we never had nipple confusion. HTH

bean3 06-07-2007 04:39 PM

I've raised three without pacifiers, but each kid is different. She may need it. Will it hurt to try it in your situation?

Go with your gut. I think that's why us moms have them!!!

Prettylocks 06-07-2007 04:41 PM

Some babies don't like being swaddled. Mine liked being propped up after nursing at that age. It helped them burp without spitting up. We never did pacifiers. If my babies were fussy, I would put them in a sling and move around. That worked for us. But all babies are different. If a binkie seems like it would help her be more content, try it. Don't be surprised if she won't have anything to do with it. Some babies just don't go for pacifiers.

Prettylocks 06-07-2007 04:43 PM

Where are you in Southeast? We used to live on POW!

msmamabear 06-07-2007 04:55 PM

nak
DS needed it. DD doesn't, she actually gags on them. She gets her comfort from being worn, so I carry her most of the day. DS needed his mouth filled. Kid's are different. He only got his "sucker" in bed or the carseat or when was having a bad day, ie sick or shots, teething etc. and then only till he calmed down. :thumbsup:

Inkdboy 06-07-2007 04:59 PM

I think a binkie would be great in your situation...NO Harm.
My oldest took to a binkie do to constantly sucking...he was BF
My second wont take a binkie and man oh man do I wish he would..
I FF him, and he uses the bottle as his way of self Soothing...UUuugghh
As long as Breastfeeding is well established there wont be a problem...
Plus 6 weeks is a perfect time to start this, as they are not set in there ways..Kwim?
My 7 month old is set in his way...LOL

jaceraden 06-07-2007 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 22monkeybunz (Post 1240848)
I think a binkie would be great in your situation...NO Harm.
As long as Breastfeeding is well established there wont be a problem...
Plus 6 weeks is a perfect time to start this, as they are not set in there ways..Kwim?
My 7 month old is set in his way...LOL

:yeahthat:

My 3 month old has been set in her ways for about 1.5 months now. I was so scared of nipple confusion that I guess I waited too long :headscratch:

I wish, wish, wish I hadn't been so brainwash that pacis would screw up our bfing cuz now I am a human paci and there's no way she'll take anything other than me :cry:

frogandtoad 06-07-2007 05:28 PM

My 2 ...

Used judiciously pacis can be a good thing. You need a break too. I do allow my babes to comfort nurse - but not 24 hours a day!

Besides, I have an almost 4 yo who sucks his thumb. It's a nightmare! He won't give it up. We had him cut back to nap and bedtime before the baby was born and now he sucks his thumb ALL THE TIME! I wouldn't mind so much but it's begun to interfere with the way his teeth line up and his jaw development. UGH!!!!!!!!!! A paci can "disappear", we are not going to remove his thumb. (Beating head while thinking of large bill for orthedontist ...)

JMHO

gbird1 06-07-2007 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cristina (Post 1240766)
Where are you in Southeast? We used to live on POW!

hey!:goodvibes: i live in Petersburg, how long did you live on POW? Where did you live?

Also, I totally use my moby wrap with her,too. Thats what she naps in during the day. I just usually put her in there after an activity time. Now her activity time is shorter, she fusses earlier. And sometimes I just get tired of putting that thing back on,then off,then on again!

thanks!