Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Bleach alternatives for stinky diapers??? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162541)

diaperjoys 06-08-2007 04:56 AM

Bleach alternatives for stinky diapers???

Now that the hot weather is here my diapers are trying to grow in the pail!! It used to be a three-day stash, cause that is how long it takes to get a load (just one 15mo in dipes). Now though, the room and pail start smelling pretty yuck after just 1.5 days. Washing with a 2T bleach will take care of the problem for a couple weeks, then it comes right back.

Here's the questions:

1) Will 2T bleach harm the diapers if used every wash (meos fitteds)

2) Is there anything more environmentally friendly that I could use? I have TTO, but I'm afraid to use it because of the oil/buildup issues.

Thanks!

Inkdboy 06-08-2007 05:01 AM

Re: Bleach alternatives for stinky diapers???

Do you have open pail or close pail... The bleach will harm diapers if used everytime

diaperjoys 06-08-2007 05:11 AM

loosely closed pail

ChoiceSoaps 06-08-2007 05:16 AM

In the summer, our pail starts smelling quickly too. I keep a recycle Parmesan cheese shaker with baking soda nearby and sprinkle some in once or twice a day. It does help. Like others said, I would be concerned about damage by using bleach regularly.

diaperjoys 06-08-2007 06:42 AM

Anyone know of any other bacteria killers that are safer than bleach?? What about oxyclean? Or????

ClothDiaperMePlease 06-08-2007 06:46 AM

You can try using an open pail that has a lot of airflow. If the diapers dry, there is nothing for the bacteria to hold onto and stink from ;)

MommaBelt 06-08-2007 07:00 AM

oxiclan is fine for diapers! Im a complete oxi addict :)

ClothDiaperMePlease 06-08-2007 07:06 AM

Also, bleach will cause a reaction with the baby's bum. urine=amonia ....... bleach+ amonia = chemical reaction and burns.

Also do some research on the bleach, it has been linked to rectal cancer.

I HIGHLY suggest the completely open diaper pail.

alexandme 06-08-2007 07:18 AM

We use a shaker w/ baking soda and a few drops of lavendar oil in it. Last year when I had trouble with my FB's staying stinky after washing and stripping I did use some Oxy Clean. From what I read at the time most people said it was ok for occassional use but there was some disagreement about using it all the time.

SahmIam 06-08-2007 08:20 AM

Right on the Oxyclean. It does work great, but if you use it on diapers that have any bleach left over in them it can make holes and supposedly it's bad for elastic. Ime when I used to use the oxy I had zero problems, but now that I don't I have been having some stretching out on diapers I bought after. I am considering going back to it because it worked so well for getting the smells out.