Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Pediatrican suggests supplementing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163048)

Michelle8903 06-08-2007 10:16 PM

Pediatrican suggests supplementing

We had DDs 9 month well visit this week and she weighs 15lbs 14.5 oz. She has only gained a pound and a half since her 6 month visit. The ped (who claims to be in support of breastfeeding) suggested that I supplement with formula :yuck: since she has now dropped two levels on the growth chart. He says that my supply might be low but I haven't noticed anything different lately. Other than her weight she is growing fine. She's in the 90th percentile for her height. DH is tall and skinny so I think she is following his gene pool. I really don't want to supplement but I am afraid if I don't her weight will become even more of an issue. She has never lost weight, just seems to be gaining slower that the growth chart (which from my understanding is based of ff babies growth). Do I supplement or tell the ped where he can put his formula :giggle: TIA

Missah78 06-08-2007 10:19 PM

Re: Pediatrican suggests supplementing

My DD has been gaining really really slow! She's 12.5 and has been for 2 weeks. It's taken her 6 weeks to gain 5 ozs. She's 3 months old (granted she was 9lbs 4ozs when she was born) and the pedi told me to stop breastfeeding but the LC said as long as she's gaining weight she's fine.

Remember breastfed babies grow slower than formula fed babies. Most docs only have the old growth charts that were based on formula fed babies. BF babies gain weight quickly the first 3 months or so and then gain slow...it's just what they do! Doesn't mean anything is wrong with your supply! check out www.kellymom.com

Prettylocks 06-08-2007 10:20 PM

Hmmmn. Tough one. Does she eat food yet? I would offer her fatty stuff like avacados. Personally I would not supplement. I would just do things to up my supply naturally. Is she in bed with you at night? My boys nursed all night and I think that is why they were such chubby babies.

nrae74 06-08-2007 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelle8903 (Post 1252804)
Do I supplement or tell the ped where he can put his formula :giggle: TIA

Well, thats what I would do :giggle: !! There are new growth charts for breastfed babies, ask him if he is using them( I doubt it) Also, my son was a chunker babe but at 6 months his weight gain slowed WAY down. only 2 1/2 pounds in 6 months (from 6 months to 1 year) So to me your daughter sounds just right ! We don't do 9 month checks here:headscratch:

ETA: Most peds. really know about ZERO when it comes to breastmilk and infant nutrition, especiallly in the second 6 months! I would talk to LC or LLL if anyone if you think your supply is low but I bet it is fine. Most 9 month olds will let you know if they are not getting enough milk !

jlanni 06-08-2007 10:53 PM

i had the same issue with my pedi... i told him where to stick it, except he told me i needed to supplement because they needed to know how many calories my ds was getting because he was 9lbs at birth, 12 lbs 6oz at 1 month, 14 lbs 8oz at 2 months, 16lbs at 3 months, and 21lbs at 4 months. he went for his check up at almost 18 weeks and weighed 21 lbs 14oz and was 28" He's offiically been off the charts since he was 3 months old for his height weight and head circ.
Take fenugreek.. i do :giggle: that's why my lo is so healthy! my 4 year old only weighs 34 lbs and my 3 year old only weighs 24 lbs.. guess i'm not feeding them enough.. although they eat constantly. fattening foods too!

spacecat1974 06-08-2007 11:20 PM

This happened to my DS too at about the same time but he leveled out. My DH is/was tall and skinny and my DS is just like him. Some babies are just long stringbeans and as long as they are on target developmentally, there's really nothing you can do. My DS eats CONSTANTLY (fattening stuff too) but is still skinny as a rail.

Don't supplement if you don't want to. You can always increase nursing sessions if you wish. Your milk has more calories than solids.

baby1577 06-08-2007 11:44 PM

I wouldn't supplement.

A nurse practitioner told me at my sons 6 wk checkup he had failure to thrive and I needed to supplement or I was compromising his health.

He is 13 months now, and 30lbs. :thumbsup: yup! for sure FTT!! :laugh:

haynmama 06-09-2007 01:10 AM

I would tell him where he can stick that can of formula. DD1's weight slowed down around nine months. She was very active and started walking at 10mo. My pedi never suggested supplementing, even though she was in the 50th percentile for weight, and 90th for height. He was more worried about her head being in th 10th percentile. :lostit: Don't worry, everything evens out with time. BTW, she is one of the tallest in her class and is just the right size in the weight dept.:hugs:

Kita 06-09-2007 07:48 AM

All 3 of my kids dropped off the charts after 6 mos when they became more active. My twins were ff, and dropped down the charts quicker than my singleton, who was bf.

Skip the formula.

Michelle8903 06-09-2007 08:55 AM

Thanks everyone. Just by looking at her you would say she is fine. She is long and thin but like I said, so is DH. She's thin but she doesn't look emaciated or anything. She has little fat rolls on her thighs and a little belly. If she was any heavier I don't even know where she would put it!

I figured she would let me know if she wasn't getting enough. I always nurse until she's done and then feed her solids until she's done (I always nurse first).

I think I just got scared a little by the ped's suggestion. I of course want my baby to be healthy and grow strong. I looked at my baby book yesterday (I was bf for 6 weeks and then ff) and she weighs a couple of ounces more than I did at 9 months! I think it's in the genes.