Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Diminishing Milk Supply? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163440)

nikkiof5 06-09-2007 06:26 PM

Diminishing Milk Supply?

Im not sure if this goes here or in TTC/Pregnancy but since Im not sure if I am PG or not, I thought I would try here.

My dd is 15 months and still nurses 3-4 times a day and alot at night. Lately though, its seems like it is taking a LONG time for my milk to let down. DD gets soooo mad! :cry: I "think" Im pregnant, pretty sure but havent tested yet. Could that be why? I was really hoping to tandem bf..Or at least bf dd for alot longer than this! :cry: Ive been drinking water like CRAZY and eating oatmeal, I read that Mothers Milk Tea is good but where do I get it and is it safe if your BF'ing? Thanks for any help...

majick1 06-09-2007 06:32 PM

Re: Diminishing Milk Supply?

I'm not sure about being pregnant and nursing or tandem nursing...sorry. I do know that I love Mothers Milk Tea and it's perfectly safe to use while BFing. (and it's yummy!) I got mine at a local herb shop but Whole Foods has it. It's relatively easy to find, in my area anyway. You can always order online if you couldn't find it locally. :thumbsup:

nikkiof5 06-09-2007 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by majick1 (Post 1258150)
I'm not sure about being pregnant and nursing or tandem nursing...sorry. I do know that I love Mothers Milk Tea and it's perfectly safe to use while BFing. (and it's yummy!) I got mine at a local herb shop but Whole Foods has it. It's relatively easy to find, in my area anyway. You can always order online if you couldn't find it locally. :thumbsup:

Does it work to help maintain milk supply?

mommy21princess 06-09-2007 07:38 PM

I got the SAME way when my dd was about that age. Some nights it was SOO hard to nurse cuz she would get SOOO mad and then I would get frustrated and nervous and couldn't relax enough to let down. I would just hang in there they get used to it and your body does too. Try to Stay very calm and try not to think about getting a let down, KWIM? I also would just pat on dd's bottom fairly hard, kinda like I was burping her bottom, LOL and that would get her a little calmer.

Hang in there I'm sure things will calm down. It is hard though, I went through her being soo distracted she didn't want to nurse while also going through this. It all hit from about 12-16 months now things are GREAT. Good luck!

nikkiof5 06-10-2007 10:00 AM

:headscratch: Anyone else? :goodvibes:

~Bug~ 06-10-2007 09:41 PM

When DS was about 4.5 months old I noticed a drop in my supply, but I thought it was b/c I wasn't pumping enough at work. Then I realized I could no longer feel letdown when it had been so strong before. Then my nipples got sore and I thought it was a bad latch.

After about a week of that I found out I was pregnant! :goodvibes: :lostit:

My supply took a nosedive despite all my efforts. (If I remember right, Mother's Milk Tea is not okay if you're pregnant so find out before you start taking that) I had to quit nursing DS despite all I had read about mothers tandem nursing.

Congrats if you're pregnant!! That could definitely be why!

autumnlily 06-10-2007 09:45 PM

Because I know you have this store in your town...

Not sure about the safety of Mother's Milk Tea...but you can get it at Fred Meyer's in their organic section.

Mommy2LivandNoah 06-10-2007 09:49 PM

My mother is a CLC and she said the longer you nurse the more a letdown tends to take time..it has to have more stimulation to actually get one..(there for taking her much more sucking time she's not willing to take..) :)

rlsadc 06-10-2007 11:50 PM

as your DD gets older, she will be getting less and less milk...its just the natural process. my personal belief is that it guides baby though weaning (this is just MY theory)...

im not saying that your DD is ready to wean, just to expect your milk supply to slowed dwindle down, you will always have milk, just not as much as you would produce for an infant. i wouldnt worry much, your DD will nurse as long as she feels she needs to, and a slow letodwn isnt going to stop her (as Im sure youve figured out lol) i would recommend giving her a snack before nursing, this way her immediate hunger is met, and she isnt sooo anxious for your let down. at this point, the mojority of your DD's nutrition should come from solids. (im not saying that bf'ing her isnt benefitting ehr, quite the contrary, but she should be eating mostly solids, and then supplementing with nursing sessions)...

hth mama!

Guardandolaluna 06-10-2007 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mommy2LivandNoah (Post 1263184)
My mother is a CLC and she said the longer you nurse the more a letdown tends to take time..it has to have more stimulation to actually get one..(there for taking her much more sucking time she's not willing to take..) :)

:thumbsup:

I just read that on http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/letdown.html