Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How to get DD to take a bottle HELP ASAP! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163466)

ktmelody 06-09-2007 07:37 PM

How to get DD to take a bottle HELP ASAP!

HELP!!!

My dd will not take a bottle. I have 5 kids and work and cant always be there to BF her. I cant pump much cuz she is still nursing so much and i never get the chance. I have tried every bottle, every nipple, warm, cold, soy and reg. formula.
What have I forgotten? And BTW it is DH giving her the bottle and not me and she is 12 weeks old.
She wont take a paci either. She just spits everything out and then gags herself.

I am in desparate need of help......

Tootsiemomma 06-09-2007 07:39 PM

Re: How to get DD to take a bottle HELP ASAP!

My daughter never really took a bottle. I tried them all. I finally tried a Nuby sippy cup when she was 4 months old...she actually drank out of it. Maybe try that?

ktmelody 06-09-2007 07:40 PM

I can try a sippy I guess.
I even tried a SNS, but the flow is too slow....

Going to try it...

sweetppolly 06-09-2007 07:42 PM

I am having the same problem with my six month old. She is super cranky and fussy and I desperately need a night without nursing her every two hours. I have done just like you and having same probs. No help just :goodvibes: you aren't alone!

mommy21princess 06-09-2007 07:44 PM

As for pumping can you pump one side while she nurses the other? That always helped me but I didn't have to do it often. As for the bottle issue I didn't give dd a bottle cuz I really didn't want her to have one, cuz then everyone would think she could have one ALL the time and I didn't want that.
We did try two times but both times she refused with my blessings. LOL

Anyway we used a syringe to feed her. Also many babies are old enough to be drinking from a cup with help and also spoon feeding can work. Sure it'll take a little extra time but it will work. I second trying the sippy cup. There's no point in forcing a bottle and then having to break from it if she doesn't even want it. KWIM? Good luck! WTG for bfing for soo long. You're doing GREAT!

Mommy2LivandNoah 06-09-2007 07:54 PM

I have the best results with the Playtex natural latch nipples with my kids..Its a good sign that she just wants you and not a bottle, but I totally know how feeding all the time is. My son is just over 3 months and he's just now slowing down to a regular pattern...yay! I know you said you tried all kinds of bottles, but the BreastFlow bottles work well too because the nipple looks like a breast, and they have to suck for a few seconds before milk comes out..my son likes it sometimes, but we mostly use the Playtex ones..

angel0123 06-09-2007 08:00 PM

get a little cup and let lap it up like a kitten. Some kids just don;t like bottles.

ktmelody 06-09-2007 08:03 PM

I wish I could pump from one side, but she drains both at each feeding. She drains me in 5 minutes flat. She is a power nurser.
I know what you mean about the bottle, but I just need to get out once in a while and she was 4 weeks early so spoons might not work.
I tired the cup, but no luck. I think it might be the flavor of the formula. Maybe i should set my alarm at night and get up and pump. She does most of her nursing during the day, and sleeps well at night.
Any suggestions on formula types?
Keep em coming mama!

jaceraden 06-09-2007 08:36 PM

I have no suggestions for you. Just :hugs:

My DD too is refusing the bottle, sippy cup, spoon, etc. and I'm due back at work in two weeks. I FEEL your pain!

craftymomto5 06-09-2007 09:09 PM

Hi. Have you tried an adiri breastbottle? Just a suggestion.:goodvibes: