Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Thrush? Breast itching. Very fussy baby. Excessive letdown! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163504)

Monetlily2 06-09-2007 09:09 PM

Thrush? Breast itching. Very fussy baby. Excessive letdown!

Hey girls. This is my third BF child, but I haven't experienced this before. My baby girls and I are having issues. I itch! It's not too bad yet but I'm pretty sure it is yeast. Meredith has been super fussy for the last week or so. It started with fussing at the breast then it grew to crying every waking moment. She kicks her feet, throws her hands and just screams. Nothing seems to make her feel better and I have tried EVERYTHING! I noticed that she has a white tongue so I assume that she has thrush. It's the weekend so I don't have anyone to look at her or me. Any thoughts on my situation? Am I diagnosing wrong? It's not a burp issue actually she gets more upset when she does burp with our facilitation. We are better off letting her sit up and giving her very little motion and after 10 min or so she will burp herself. Oh, she is only 3 weeks old.

Secondly, any advise on frequent excessive letdown? I feel like I caused the yeast because of the pads that I am wearing but if I don't wear them I will SOAK my shirt and pants every 10 minutes or so. I've never had this problem and I am going to go crazy if I don't find a solution quick. These pads make me itch. UGH!!!

tatumsmom 06-09-2007 09:21 PM

Re: Thrush? Breast itching. Very fussy baby. Excessive letdown!

It sounds like thrush to me :yuck: :hugs: DD and I battled it off and on for her first 6 months. We found that acidopholus powder worked. I put it on my finger and gave about 1/4tsp to dd each morning. I also took garlic tablets, gse and ate yogurt.

I had severe let down, so like you, my pads were always soaked. The only thing that kept the yeast off my breast was a compounded nipple cream perscribed by my lc.

Sunshine works great to kill the yeast on your breat, if you don't mind a little topless sunbathing.:giggle:

Good luck, mama!:hugs:

Mum2my2boys 06-09-2007 11:06 PM

The itching and white mouth definately sound like thrush. I read though, in the Dr Newmans book, that thrush doesnt usually cause discomfort in the baby so I dont know if that would be why she is so fussy? Timmy has had it twice and I never noticed any change in his temperment when he had it. I would say though to go ahead and treat the thrush, because it could just end up causing more issues if you wait. I ended up getting a clogged duct, than a bleb, because I waited too long to start the GV which was a nightmare. As for the excessive letdown Im sure once your supply regulates and you get on more of a schedule things will slow down. For now just keep changing your pads as soon as they are wet.

dolphingirl 06-09-2007 11:10 PM

Definitely sounds like thrush! If you or Meredith had antibiotics at all during labor or after birth, then you'd be especially susceptible. Start on some good probiotics (take acidophilus, you can give it to baby too by opening the caplet, getting your finger wet, dipping it in the powder and have her suck it off, or just put it on your nipple before nursing). This will help increase the good bacteria in your systems and help get rid of the yeast. On your own, you can try gentian violet--most pharmacies have it. It gets painted on her tongue and on your nipples, but avoid using it for more than just a few days. It does stain everything purple, just so you're aware. It sounds like it's already progressed into a pretty bad case, though, so it would be a good idea to call your baby's doctor on Monday and get prescriptions--baby for a topical medication, you with a topical and/or oral fluconizole. There are a lot of possiblities out there for treating thrush. I'd suggest calling your local LLL Leader tomorrow (find the number at www.llli.org) and she can tell you about different possiblities you may want to ask your doctor about as well as things to do in the meantime.
Also search the LLL website for info. about thrush. In the meantime, change nursing pads very frequently, leave nipples open to the air as much as possible, wash baby's hands frequently if she puts them in her mouth (otherwise she'll keep reinfecting herself during the treatment), boil any pacifiers and pump parts after use, wash your bath towels after every use---basically anything you can do to prevent reinfection.
You may also want to lower/eliminate your sugar consumption because the yeast feeds off of sugar.
I hope you get rid of this quickly!:hugs: What a pain to deal with when you're trying to enjoy life with your beautiful newborn! Hopefully the nursing is smooth sailing as soon as you beat this!

Isabellasmom 06-10-2007 12:00 AM

I would def. try some different nursing pads. I know that my nipples kept itching and no matter what they were irritated. I was getting over thrush and kept thinking it was still thrush, my doc said try and diff pad, since some are more absorbant and part of the problem was solved(we were using gerber switched to avent). I had nystatin cream from my doc but the lac. nurse told me to just use over the counter monistat which IMO worked much better.