Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   leaking already. . . will it dry up? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163656)

munchkinflame13 06-10-2007 11:19 AM

leaking already. . . will it dry up?

I am 26 weeks 2 days pg and already leaking. Like I can hand express milk/colostrum/whatever now. On both sides. I had a hard time making enough milk for dd#1 and am taking this as a good sign. But is it? Is there any chance my milk will dry up before baby is born? Is there anything I can do to keep it growing? If I got a pump now and expressed milk would it still be good when DD#2 is born? She is due Sept 14th. I thought milk was good in conventional freezer for 6 months, but then I heard it is good for only 3 that milk is good for 6 months in a deep freezer. . . Any advice would be great. I really want BFing to work this time. :goodvibes:

rachaelmomma 06-10-2007 11:25 AM

Re: leaking already. . . will it dry up?

It is not a good idea start pumping before the baby is born. Actually, it can send you into preterm labor (that strong of nipple stimulation can cause contractions). The leaking may mean you will have a good supply once baby comes. I started leaking around 20 wks with both my boys. I have enough milk to probably feed triplets if I wanted to! Ask your dr or midwife about it if it worries you, but it shouldn't be a problem. Just get some pads to wear so your shirt stays dry. I actually have some I was getting ready to offer FFS if you want them. Just pm me!

ferrferr 06-10-2007 11:32 AM

I started leaking at about 12 weeks with this baby. I didn't start leaking until about 5 months along with DD#1. It's been a pain in my rump to have to wear a bra 24/7 for the last 6 months. Nursing pads at times too (almost non-stop now) because my right breast will leak through my bra and a shirt with no warning. I think I could express more colostrum than some women could express breastmilk, it's crazy. :p

Kimmomy2dom 06-10-2007 11:51 AM

I started leaking around 36 weeks with DS and around 11 weeks with the twins. I don't think it means you will make more or less milk necessarily, it just means it's hanging out in there, LOL. I wonder if having previous children and having milk come in before has any effect on when you leak, but I don't know.
I did notice as time went on I leaked less, but then again since I've been bfing my twins I don't leak very much anyway. I think my boobs just got better control or something, LOL.
I agree, do not pump or try to express it if you're not currently bfing. It can start preterm labor and although you may not have a high risk pg pumping a whole bunch of milk out when it wasn't already there (assuming you would even get anything out) might just go against what your body wants to do, kwim? :)

eyelashes 06-10-2007 04:51 PM

I started leaking at about 24 weeks. It's totally normal, but I'm not sure if it is indicative of how abundant your supply will be. I have never had supply issues, but I don't leak at ALL since my real milk came in. Ever. I have never ever used a nursing pad. Just chalk it up to normal pregnancy stuff. (Like "pregnancy" and "normal" feel so related when you're going through it... :laugh: ) I do hope you have a great breastfeeding experience this time, though. :goodvibes:

eyelashes 06-10-2007 04:53 PM

I agree with all the recs about not pumping early. Keep in mind though, that if you go way past your dute date and want that baby out, pump away! It could start labor. :mrgreen: