Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   diaper rash cause allergy? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163824)

MamaZ 06-10-2007 03:39 PM

diaper rash cause allergy?

I'm asking for my SIL, she recently told me that her DS who is 2 months old has had these open sores for a diaper rash and she says they are from an allergy in her bm. :headscratch: I'm not familiar with it at all so I thought I'd ask you mamas. Any idea what the allergy could be that's causing it?

dolphingirl 06-10-2007 09:10 PM

Re: diaper rash cause allergy?

If the baby has had persistent diaper rash for quite a while, yes it could be a sign of a sensitivity to a food(s) in her diet. Though, there are certainly other possible causes too (e.g. it could have progressed to a fungal type diaper rash that needs to be treated differently than a regular diaper rash.) Anyways, an allergy diaper rash often appears to look like a "burn" on the bottom--very red and irritating for baby. Does the baby have other signs? Oftentimes, but not always, allergic babies will experience signs in three areas: skin, digestive tract (e.g. mucousy stools or excessive spitting up), and respiratory tracks (e.g. congestion). Some babies with allergies are mistakenly diagnosed with reflux. It could be any number of foods. The most prevalent one is dairy, though wheat, soy, and corn are also common. Is there a food she tends to eat large quantities of? That is oftentimes the culprit. She could start with eliminating that food entirely (including small amounts of it that are found in other foods--for example, dairy and corn seem to be in almost everything!). After a few weeks she should see a difference if the rash is due to a food.
This may sound bizarre, but the way that I was able to identify which foods bothered my babies was by seeing a chiropractor who was trained in kinesiology and food allergies. I had to hold my baby and put my hands in certain spots on her head, and then the chiro. held various food samples up to me while having me push my leg up against her hand. She could sense that my muscles were weaker when she held one of the offending foods near me. I know this sounds totally cuckoo, or at least that's what I thought when I first heard of it. But it totally helped with my last two babies who were sensitive to many foods! My midwife told me there is research to support the validity of this method. Of course, most women just keep a diary of what they eat and try to eliminate different foods. But I was at my wits' end and this was a helpful solution!
Hope some of this info helps!
Kristin

Happy 06-10-2007 09:28 PM

My first little one had this. I had to eliminate milk from my diet. Like dolphingirl said, his rash looked like a burn. It got so bad before we figured it out that blood would seep through his skin! It was awful! Hope your sis gets if figured out soon, poor baby!

rachaelmomma 06-10-2007 09:39 PM

I had this problem with both of my boys. My first one, turned out he had an allergy to dairy, and once I cut those out he was fine. My second one, the rash showed up sooner than DS1, and it turned out to be an allergy to the gel inside of the disposable diapers we had been using, which is why we switched to cloth. My pedi told me that diaper allergies don't usually show up until about 6wks to two months of age, maybe its that?