Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   vitamin drops (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16415)

hungrytree 06-22-2006 05:18 AM

vitamin drops

our ped yesterday recommended I give our three week old vitamin drops. WEll I did and and he puked all over me!! He really is not much of a puker and it surprised me. Anyway Mom said I did the same thing to her. I was wondering who gives the drops and who does not and why. Thanks

Willys Woolies 06-22-2006 05:27 AM

Re: vitamin drops

I've never given them to such a young baby...they should be getting everything they need from BM or formula, they really don't need any more added vitamins. They get more than they need from BM and formula.

My DS who is 18 months does take vitamin drops (Poly-Vi-Sol with Iron) and he started them a few months ago when I was told by the Early Intervention Nutritionist to do so because of his eating problems. He has Sensory Integration Disorder and he doesn't eat much so they felt he needed the vitamins and extra iron (which makes him more constipated). I've never given any of the others vitamins until they were older toddlers and eating foods and I would give them 1/2 a chewable vitamin.

Maybe you should check in with your pedi and tell him/her what is going on...they will prob suggest you stop them until he is a little older. Sounds like they might be upsetting his little tummy...poor baby! I see him in your avitar...beautiful baby!

bethanyjoy 06-22-2006 07:03 AM

Unless you were told to give them for a specific reason (ie., maybe low iron or something) then I wouldn't...b/m is the most perfect, complete food for a NB...it doesn't get any better. Everything they need, they get from b/m! :thumbsup: If the drops are making baby throw up, then they obviously aren't "giving" baby anything that they need, kwim?

starwithnolight 06-22-2006 07:53 AM

When my DD was 5 months old her ped wanted me to start her on rice cereal and I said i was waiting until 6 months. So they prescribed vitamin drops. I gave them to my daughter once and she would never open her mouth for them again. They smell NASTY. I really don't believe that babies that age need them.

bfoster2000 06-22-2006 08:30 AM

We did give them to DJ, I believe starting around 2 months, but he had very low iron so there was a specific reason. The drops do smell disgusting but he never minded them at all. We usually gave them to him mixed in a bottle of breastmilk but even when we gave them straight, he never flinched. I agree with the others that you should discuss it with your ped and find out why he wants you to give the vitamins. Unless he has a specific concern, breastmilk should be plenty at that age.

Fullhouse 06-22-2006 08:55 AM

This the the reason per my ped they prescribe vitamins to EBF infants. Vitamin D. Some infants do not get enough sun exposure, and need more D to help there bodies properly use calcium. Rickets can become a problem (it's a bone issue from what I understand) as a result. He said, however, he has never seen Rickets in a fair child, only in dark babies. This is because there bodies have more pigment, and block more of the suns rays. We declined the vitamins, and he was fine with that.

mommypooh 06-22-2006 09:08 AM

I was told to on many occasions for no other reason than he recommends it for all babies. I never gave them to my children and just ignored the doctors.

starsandlollipops 06-22-2006 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommypooh
I was told to on many occasions for no other reason than he recommends it for all babies. I never gave them to my children and just ignored the doctors.

as did I. when i'd give them to my dd, she would gag so bad and her little face would turn red, not to mention the smell and stains from her puking it back up. I couldn't even do it, I had to have my mom give them to her, it just made me want to cry. after like 3 doses, I quit giving them to her, and I just take my prenatals and calcium and b complex regularly. I also take her out in the yard for about 10-15 mins a time, maybe 2 or 3 times a day.. she likes looking at all the trees and flowers!

partyelf 06-22-2006 12:50 PM

I've never given vitamin drops to my daughter either. I think BM is perfect. As far as vitamin D, all they need is 15 minutes of sun exposure a day or 2 hours a week. Really not that hard to do.

weddell 06-22-2006 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4littlemonkeys
This the the reason per my ped they prescribe vitamins to EBF infants. Vitamin D. Some infants do not get enough sun exposure, and need more D to help there bodies properly use calcium. Rickets can become a problem (it's a bone issue from what I understand) as a result. He said, however, he has never seen Rickets in a fair child, only in dark babies. This is because there bodies have more pigment, and block more of the suns rays. We declined the vitamins, and he was fine with that.

This is why my dr prescribed vitamins drops. He said he had a patient come in with rickets and ever since then he has prescribed them for breastfed babies. I think in the right situation they are appropriate. We were living in the city at the time and less sunlight gets through because of air quality and buildings. Many of the babies there are dark skinned and it was winter. These factors make extra vitamin d a good idea. My baby is super fair so I only gave them to her if she hadn't been outside in days because of the weather, but otherwise I didn't think they were necessary.