Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Special Needs (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   parents of autistic children (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1656)

keithsmom03 04-26-2006 07:38 PM

parents of autistic children

hey, there was a post on the old ds for parents with autistic children. i just wanted to say hey. i went to the neurologist today and we have now been given a formal diagnosis of high functioning autism. im still trying to take it all in, even though i knew that it was probably so, i still felt in shock about it, and sad as well. i just wanted to talk.

heather marie

tatertots 04-26-2006 07:54 PM

Re: parents of autistic children

I just want to say I know exactly what you are going through. My son was diagnosed with high functioning autism a couple of years ago. He is doing pretty good. He is really far behind with his speech and a lot with his personal social. He has to go see a ST 3 times a week and now he will have to go see an OT also.
If you ever need to talk I am here. How old is your DS? Mine is 4

keithsmom03 04-26-2006 08:10 PM

hey, he is 3. he has been in speech for almost 1 3/4yrs, ot for almost a year, and behavioral mod therapy for almost 2yrs. he was in play therapy but she didnt do anything that i couldnt do with him:mad: so i pulled him from that. he is doing fairly well in speech, but is behind in his gross motor skills, fine motor, and etc like that. and is lacking majorly in the social area as well. also in play. his development according to his ot, is that of about a 13mo to 21mo and a few areas are scattered from 28mos to 31mos. he has always been behind, but has fallen even further behind. at least i know now though and can go from there with what to do next. a friend of mine gave me some info on places i can call and things that i can do to get more info, and my bhmt for my son borrowed me a book to read called playing, laughing and learning with children on the autism spectrum last week when we were discussing how she thought that he was but it was hard to tell because there were a few questionable areas. ive only gotten 2chs read so far:o well anyways. it is good to know that there are people that i can talk to. thanks

heather marie

Jaz_Trio 04-26-2006 08:15 PM

(((HUGS MOMMA))) Zachary has not been diagnonsed with autisum, but has sensory intergration dysfunction, which is on the spectrum. He's 29 1/2 months old and says one word, though is very smart in other area's. He's also starting to show more "signs" including lots of repeating things/activities over and over as well as some "hurtful" behavors that seem not to bother him at all.

Anyway, he too is in OT and Speech, has been for 8 months now, each of them come once a week then he is in a special OT play group once a week too....I feel your pain and wish you good luck, lots of prayers and (((HUGS)))

SandyG 04-26-2006 08:16 PM

hugs to you sweetie
david is 3 and what he lacks is speech only. he has apraxia but id unno if he has something else. its heartwrenching
hugs to you, imglad to know you got a dx. im bit scared to see a neurologist and dev ped. i dont want to hear he has something else .although he is in target with everything else, he does have his little quirks at times that might be autistic. take care

tatertots 04-26-2006 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaz_Trio
(((HUGS MOMMA))) Zachary has not been diagnonsed with autisum, but has sensory intergration dysfunction, which is on the spectrum. He's 29 1/2 months old and says one word, though is very smart in other area's. He's also starting to show more "signs" including lots of repeating things/activities over and over as well as some "hurtful" behavors that seem not to bother him at all.

Anyway, he too is in OT and Speech, has been for 8 months now, each of them come once a week then he is in a special OT play group once a week too....I feel your pain and wish you good luck, lots of prayers and (((HUGS)))

I am thinking that my Chloe will be the same way here also. She is almost 21 months and dosn't even say one word. She just started walking about a month ago. She kinda copies some of the things we do. She is completly lacking in her Communication, gross motor skills and she is only a little behind in her fine motor and personal-social skills.
She is going to start a program called Sooner Start where a ST and an OT and whoever else they say she will need, will come to the house and work with her. I am hoping she will get better with this. I try to work with her all the time and I am hopefull but I see her on the same path that my son was on at this age.

Mom2Mia 04-27-2006 12:05 PM

:hugs: hugs to you mama! Emma is 7 and we just got a diagnosis -well - it's been spread over the past 9 months. She has tourettes, sensory integration dysfunction and high functioning autism - aspergers. Looking back - she had all the sign from very early on - like from a year old on - but we were kinda blind to it - just thought she was a quirky kid and it would work itself out.

Having a diagnosis is the first great step you can take. Now you can be on your way to helping your baby be better.:goodvibes:

I'm glad to see there are a lot of mom's here that deal with the same issues - the tourettes is old hat t us by now - the rest is very new and I know I"ll have a lot of questions too!

keegans_mommy 04-27-2006 12:11 PM

I have asked one of the mods to please restore the stickied thread to this new site, so we will have to wait. :)

Since we last chatted, I took both girls to the DAN doc and they are both on suppliments so far. Claire is mellowing out a bit and Tiffany's appetite is ferocious! LOL It's helping but not a huge amount as of yet.

She has sent hair samples to the lab to test for mineral deficiencies and heavy metal output, I will let you all know how that goes.

Tiffany has now been put on zinc as she is deficient in that, she and I both have a yeast problem so we are on a strict diet for that as well. Sigh.

Claire is the least bothered by this and is being rather (surprisingly!) good about taking all these pills but Tiffany is fighting it a bit. Which is NOT surprising.

Anyway, it's hard to see improvement when we are scrutinizing their every movement everyday, trying to see improvements but others have commented on their improved behavior so I am taking that as a positive sign things are working for them. :) They have their next DAN doc appt. on the 8th of May. We will be finding out the results of their hair samples.

Mom2Mia 04-27-2006 12:16 PM

I forgot to ask - have any of you heard of a natural product called Natural Cellular Defense? It's supposed to work wonders for all kinds of things - especially autism. By helping your body throw off heavy metals, toxins and poisons without being hard on your body in the process...I was thinking of getting it for Emma and Elayna. I've spoken with a mom whose little boy is autistic and she says it's worked wonders for him. Anyone else have stories?

keegans_mommy 04-27-2006 12:43 PM

I have never heard of that but I am always interested in such suppliments. :thumbsup: