Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Toddler beds, when and why? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165606)

sesa70 06-13-2007 12:01 PM

Toddler beds, when and why?

For those who use toddler beds, when did you switch your dc and how? Why?

Same question for those who dont!

JustAugust 06-13-2007 12:08 PM

Re: Toddler beds, when and why?

Landon just went to one at home. He's the 2 year old I care for. Mainly to save space, him and his two big brothers share a room. 3 twin beds wouldn't have left room for anything else, so they did bunk beds for the big two and then a toddler bed for Landon.

A lot of times I think it's because it's lower to the ground. If you've got a kid that moves all over the place, it's not as far to fall out, kwim? A twin bed is higher. Even if both beds have the rails, a kid that moves all over might make it down to the end then over the side.

mom_of_3g_1b 06-13-2007 01:49 PM

I didn't with ds because I had a twin bed for him. He was more able to climb in and out of it. The girls have toddler beds because of space and they are smaller then he was.

kimsclothkids 06-13-2007 01:57 PM

12 months!!! Crazy??? nope! It worked great for both of my kids. We never had any problems at all! We did nap time transitions for 3 days and then it was every nap and every night.

HBuehler 06-13-2007 02:05 PM

Gosh mine were in theirs young as well.I never had a kiddo that would sleep in a crib-hated them so we moved them to a toddler bed.We went with a toddler bed for dd because of space.Now she has her baby brother in her room with her so they have a custom made toddler bunk bed set.They are 4 and 2 and it works out great.

mhibberd 06-13-2007 02:06 PM

I just put my 20mo DD in a toddler bed... her crib is a 3-in-1. I did it for a couple reasons.

One reason is she would hang over the bar my the belly. So close to just flipping out. And I totally suspected anyway that she would be the one to crawl out (DS never did).

And second, we plan to put a bunk bed in there so DS can sleep in there too because his room is upstairs and it's too hot. We have no a/c. We do have access to a window unit, but really can't afford to run it. They will do fine togther down here.

So I figured that since she'll be going into a twin bed pretty soon, that I'd get her used to the open bed idea in a toddler bed first.

I also need to get DS used to a twin because because he has a full size upstairs right now (left from when my Bro was living up there) and I'm afraid he'll be used to all that room and fall out of the bunk!!

If this room down here wasn't so itty bitty, I'd just put that full matress in there and let them sleep together.

jjaelovesenglish 06-13-2007 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HBuehler (Post 1277698)
Gosh mine were in theirs young as well.I never had a kiddo that would sleep in a crib-hated them so we moved them to a toddler bed.We went with a toddler bed for dd because of space.Now she has her baby brother in her room with her so they have a custom made toddler bunk bed set.They are 4 and 2 and it works out great.

Can you take a picture of the custom made toddler bunk bed? I have always wanted to see what one would look like and we were considering having one made for the girls when DD2 is ready for a toddler bed. She arrives in August. :giggle:

Lucky Child 06-13-2007 02:13 PM

I went straight to a twin size bed with my dd at 16 months. I did it b/c I had another coming. It worked out great, she never came out of the bed, she just whined or called out for us to come get her. It worked out great:)
Tyler is 15 months and I'm in no hurry to move him.

my2babyboys 06-13-2007 02:15 PM

Oscar went into a twin bed at 18 1/2 months. I always slept with him and now that DH isnt here, we co sleep in the queen bed.
Matthew is 2yr 4m now and he is still in a crib. His brib can be used a day bed/toddler bed and then you can use the front and back as head boards to make a twin. He sleeps better in a crib so as long as he fits in it, thats where he will stay.

jjaelovesenglish 06-13-2007 02:16 PM

I don't have answers for you since DD is 20 months and not quite ready or in need of a toddler bed. She does just fine in her crib right now, but we might be moving her to a toddler bed when DD2 is too big for the mini co-sleeper we still haven't bought yet. But we do get braces for her next week so things might change quickly once she learns to get up and be mobile. Who knows. I don't think I want her sleeping with the braces on because they look uncomfortable for sleeping, but I won't let her sleep with shoes on either because I hate it. :giggle: Another issue I know. :lostit: