Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Potty Training Help PLEASE!!!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166258)

shllywlly 06-14-2007 01:25 PM

Potty Training Help PLEASE!!!!

So my 21 month old DS tells me when he has to pee and poop even when he has on a diaper. It's like we have to give him permission to do it in his diaper. So...I thought, what the heck...he seems ready enough....I put him in underwear or sometimes naked and he's fine...When he has to go potty, he runs to me and tells me, but as soon as I sit him on the potty, he flips out..I mean screaming and crying and going into histerics asking for a diaper. So...I have to take him out of his underwear and put on a diaper for him to pee or poop. How would you handle this? Would you just leave him in diapers for a while and not worry about it or would you continue to put him in underwear and putting him back in a diaper when he has to go potty. I'm confused.

mommypatton521 06-14-2007 01:28 PM

Re: Potty Training Help PLEASE!!!!

well before dd was ready we had the potty out for a long time in the living room just sitting there, when i'd go potty she'd follow me and sit on her potty to just pretend.

Then one day she took off her diaper and sat on her potty and said she didn't want a diaper. That was that. We're still potty learning since she told us she wanted to. It takes some time so he may ease into using the potty. It's great that he is aware of what's going on with his body though that's def. a great sign!

jenncatsmeow 06-14-2007 01:30 PM

If you are going to teach him that poop and pee belong in the potty, I would NOT give him a diaper to pee or poop in, that will only send mixed messages.

Have you watched any potty training videos with him, so he knows that the potty is not dangerous? Does he watch you (and your DH) use the toilet? Does he have his own potty or are you putting him on the grown-up toilet...and if the grown up toilet, do you have an insert ring, so he can sit securely, without falling in?

Or, if you feel he's truly not ready yet, then wait a few months and try again.

shllywlly 06-14-2007 02:07 PM

He's had his own potty since he was 18 months. He sits on it and reads books occasionally while my DH and I go. He often goes in with my DH. He's peed on the potty twice and I've made a big deal out of it...bribing with M&M's and all....He definitely knows that the potty is where it goes, but its like he's scared to do it there. Should I be consistent about it every day now or just work on it periodically for a while?

mommypatton521 06-14-2007 02:13 PM

Hmmm I know boys are tougher than girls with pling. I'd start explaining what types of underwear big boys wear when they use the potty and that babies wear diapers. So far that's what works with my dd. She hates diapers (sept bedtime she knows they are a necessity)

SarahJane 06-14-2007 03:48 PM

Our 25 month old is kind of stalled at trying when he wants to. Originally he asked too and I got out pottys and told him how it all worked. We have Potty Time - a very silly video that our daughter loved. She trained in 1 weekend. He's been at this for 8 weeks at least and rarely goes if I don't put him there. I don't think he's made the connection yet between the urge and the potty. I think this young just knowing they are wet or dirty and wanting to be clean is a very good sign.

Good luck.

Jewelgurl137 06-14-2007 04:02 PM

My DD loves sitting on the potty too. She is over 2 1/2 years old now, and she will hold her pee and poo until I put a diaper back on her. :headscratch: At a little over 2 years old she went poo and etc. in her potty for like 3 days straight, then she quit. She started screaming and etc. too whenever I tried to get her back on the potty. :headscratch: I tried bribing and etc. too, but my DH and I have finally decided that she will go on the potty when she is ready. Maybe she just wants to be in diapers like her brother, but I will not force her. :blush:

ferrferr 06-14-2007 04:02 PM

DD#1 does the same thing - sort of. She's 2 1/2, and will come tell me that she needs a "queen bi-per" or in some cases she backs herself up to me if I"m sitting on the couch like I currently am, and will whine and almost scream "poopy". I can put her in big girl underware, take her to the potty in regular intervals (my boyfriend has done the same) and nothing. She will NOT go in the potty. She knows that pee-pee and poopy go in the potty, and will announce it when she's in the bathroom, but will still only go in a diaper. I figure she's got the idea down, but it's just a matter of her being ready to use the potty. Like my mom said yesterday when we were talking about it "one of these days she's going to surprise you and just start using the potty". I hope she's right. :laugh:

Katherine 06-14-2007 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferrferr (Post 1284605)
DD#1 does the same thing - sort of. She's 2 1/2, and will come tell me that she needs a "queen bi-per" or in some cases she backs herself up to me if I"m sitting on the couch like I currently am, and will whine and almost scream "poopy". I can put her in big girl underware, take her to the potty in regular intervals (my boyfriend has done the same) and nothing. She will NOT go in the potty. She knows that pee-pee and poopy go in the potty, and will announce it when she's in the bathroom, but will still only go in a diaper. I figure she's got the idea down, but it's just a matter of her being ready to use the potty. Like my mom said yesterday when we were talking about it "one of these days she's going to surprise you and just start using the potty". I hope she's right. :laugh:

I pretty much could have written that. This past week has been an oddysey in attempted pl'ing. My DD KNOWS what is supposed to go where, she just can't do it on the potty. She knows when she's gone, she'll tell anyone around. She can stop herself mid-stream when peeing and run to the potty to finish, but she can't get there before it starts. I've accepted that she's just not ready for now - this evening she went back into a diaper. I know pl'ing is just around the corner, but it might be a long walk to that corner.

My poor dd - her little attitude has been all wrong this past week. She's been so sour and demanding. At first when she had accidents, she seemed determined to improve, would agree loudly when I said next time it would go in the potty. After a few days, she seemed to no longer bat an eye at the accidents. It was no longer a big deal to have peed her Dora panties. I do NOT want to promote an attitude of acceptance of failure around here. Once that diaper went back on her, she was all smiles again. That pretty much convinces me to let HER lead, now. I don't mind diapers (ahem) and I'm not in a rush to get her into preschool, so there's really not a reason in the world for us to push so hard right now.