Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   How do you know if you have hard water? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166307)

FinnegansMom 06-14-2007 03:32 PM

How do you know if you have hard water?

I can't figure it out... sometimes, I find that wet diapers as well as our wet clothes kind of smell. Not bad per se, they just have a smell to them... like wet. i don't like it. Maybe I should be using calgon? I have no idea if we have hard water or soft water or what, or how I would know? we live in the country, but have public water.

maryann - if you read this, can you tell me if I have hard water or soft? haha... :laugh:

michelle

tmries 06-14-2007 03:48 PM

Re: How do you know if you have hard water?

A few ways, I think...
Do you have a water meter on the inside and outside of your home?
(Do the "agree" so you know if they are still being used.)
Do you receive a water bill every 3 months?
If yes - how many gallons are you using as per the water bill?

Even though my parents had a well and soft water hook-up, they still had a separate tap for pure drinking water straight from the well.
(I think some city plots allow wells and city hook-up.)

Up here where I live (very northern Michigan), it's common for well water to form rust around the drain.
Well water turns your whites "orange-ish" and makes your hair feel heavier and it will sort of feel dull.

There are a lot of great benefits to drinking well water - but the benefits I lived with as a kid were only internal - I think - I always had good iron levels.

Ultimately, ask a plumber, if you trust one... I know and like some - so don't get mad at me if you're a plumber!

If stuff is smelling, it may be from allowing it to sit in standing water.

http://www.epa.gov/safewater/faq/faq.html

http://www.in.gov/dnr/water/ground_water/faq.html

I am a search nut, so I hope the links help!
Tracy

AddysMama 06-14-2007 03:51 PM

usually if you have hard water there will be more soap scum on shower doors, a waterline (usually pink or orange) in the toilet, and shampoos and soaps are difficult to lather in the shower.
soft water you can use just a tiny ammount of soap or shampoo and it feels like its too much lather and takes FOREVER to rinse off/out.

also, for me a trick i use is to brush my teeth make sure they are nice and squeeky clean.
then put a cup of water in my mouth, and if it feel silky swishing around and when i rub my front teeth together, its soft or normal. if it feels... i dont know how to describe it.. umm... minerally, hard, crunchy, squeeky, rough in my mouth and when i rub my front teeth together, its hard. ok that makes me sound fruity! lol

2sunshines 06-14-2007 03:57 PM

There are a bunch of places that will test your water for free. Particularly places that sell water softeners. You don't have to buy to get your water tested.

FinnegansMom 06-14-2007 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AddysMama (Post 1284161)
usually if you have hard water there will be more soap scum on shower doors, a waterline (usually pink or orange) in the toilet, and shampoos and soaps are difficult to lather in the shower.
soft water you can use just a tiny ammount of soap or shampoo and it feels like its too much lather and takes FOREVER to rinse off/out.

we totally have that ring in the toilet... I'm always cleaning them, even the guest one we don't use. and we have tons of soap scum on our liner and shower walls... interesting. yes, everything is hard to lather as well. (I won't even tell you how much dawn i just threw in the washing machine... yikes). So I read on previous posts to use calgon? that will help?

I also realized the "smell" I'm smelling is the absence of perfume since we just switched to F&C for all of us instead of super smelly one...D'oh!:giggle:

AddysMama 06-14-2007 04:49 PM

i'd strip with some dawn or RLR then start using calgon when you wash.

newphillymomma 06-14-2007 05:20 PM

I have the same ring in my toilet!! :yuck:

And then we also got a water report from the city...lol. It was like a little newspaper with reports on water hardness for each section of the city mine was moderatly hard 5 grains. My nerdy self read the whole report, JUST so I would know how to wash my diapers best when the time comes....lol. :blush:

I was super excited to see the report in the mail too. It was silly sight to see I am sure....me with my swollen ankles propped up reading the water report with my grandma reading glassess...haha. :laugh:

ceilismom 06-14-2007 06:53 PM

You can call the office where you pay your water bill, and they can tell you if the water is hard or soft. A possibility, if all your clothes smell, is that your washing machine may need to be stripped. They can build up detergent and gunk on the insides.

FinnegansMom 06-14-2007 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceilismom (Post 1285167)
You can call the office where you pay your water bill, and they can tell you if the water is hard or soft. A possibility, if all your clothes smell, is that your washing machine may need to be stripped. They can build up detergent and gunk on the insides.

Awesome, I'm calling them tomorrow.

And how do you strip your washer???

Lisa-Rachelle 06-14-2007 07:26 PM

Places like Home Depot sell water test kits you can do yourself at home. They are cool...kindof like little chemistry sets (viles and such). They work great! We used them when we first bought our house to find out what our water is like.
They not only tell you if you have hard water, but also tell you which natural and chemical balances are predominent (iron, chlorine etc).

I think those kits are $20 (maybe a little less...cant remember).