Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   anybody have a glasstop? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166528)

*~Mindy~* 06-14-2007 09:11 PM

anybody have a glasstop?

stove.

we havent had one in 10 years, and my mom finally got a new stoe. okay.

ive been trying to use my cast iron to cook with and umm, well..this should be interesting. what the heck am i supposed to do? :(

mum0fthr33 06-14-2007 09:28 PM

Re: anybody have a glasstop?

It says not to use cast iron on a glasstop in my stove book :cry: We grew up only using cast iron pans needless to say I burn eggs now with a reg pan or undercook them LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by *~Mindy~* (Post 1286085)
stove.

we havent had one in 10 years, and my mom finally got a new stoe. okay.

ive been trying to use my cast iron to cook with and umm, well..this should be interesting. what the heck am i supposed to do? :(

Bluemoon 06-15-2007 06:58 AM

we DID. after 14mths of having it I dropped a pepper mill on it and it cracked :eek:
well after calling around to have it fixed/replaced, it cost as much to replace the glass as getting a new regular stove. So with 5 children I knew it would be a matter of time befor eit broke again.
we pitched it and have a regular stove now.

sweety13 06-15-2007 07:00 AM

I don't like mine, it is very hard to clean if something burns on when cooking, and there are things like CI you can't use :( I would not get one again!

redhotmavis 06-15-2007 07:02 AM

yep!we love ours!

Monzie 06-15-2007 08:07 AM

Most of the people I know who love their sealed-surface stoves don't cook. My sister (the queen of the salad and the microwave chicken nugget) adores hers because it's "pretty". My mother, who cooks two or three meals a day, hated hers and switched to a gas stove when she built her new house.

Me, I went with gas right off the bat.

But yeah, cast iron will scratch the glass and might actually crack it. And, unfortunately, pans with thinner bottoms tend to warp on the solid surface...and once they're warped, they don't make good contact with the surface of the stove and your pan doesn't heat evenly. So, I dunno. Maybe enameled cast iron (like Le Creuset) is the solution?

susansabrina 06-15-2007 08:37 AM

We bought a ready to move in new constuction house and it came with a glass top stove. I think it looks cleaner than a regular electric stove with drip pans but I would never buy one again. I grew up cooking on a gas stove and I really miss it. You just can't get the same results with an electric (esp glass top) that you can with gas. It would have been so EASY for the developers to put a gas stove in or at the very least a gas line to the stove but they didn't.:banghead:

sahminaz 06-15-2007 09:39 AM

We have a glasstop and we cook all of our meals. I do like it but i hate cleaning any stove. That is dh's job.

Melissa~BHS 06-15-2007 09:49 AM

I have a glass top stove and I love it.
We bought it when we bought the house, almost 4 years ago. It still looks brand new and I use it A LOT. Aside from cooking the family meals, I also make soap on it - all the time - and it has always been easy for me to keep clean. I just make a point of cleaning the top every time I cook anything. I received a little bottle of glass top cleanser with the stove when I purchased it, and I still have about half of the bottle left. I just use a few drops and it cleans it nicely.
I love my stove!

Jekky 06-15-2007 04:29 PM

I like our glass top, but yes, you can't use cast iron and unless the bottom of the pot it FLAT the heat doens't conduct well. It is easier to clean than a coil the main reason we bought it, but it doens't look "perfect" after a few uses. I use a razor blade to get it as celan as possible.
We bought it so when we cook crabs it wouldn't be so messy, but now we bought an outdoor turkey deepfryer thing for the crabs.
We should have spent the extra $ and bought gas.
My mom has had gas for 15 years and loves it. The heat is instant.

Oh, and I meant a stove!!!:lostit: