Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Latch sugg. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16686)

Termie 06-22-2006 09:23 PM

Latch sugg.

I have an acquaintance whose 5wk old will not open far enough to latch. We aren't close enough for me to come and look at her latch or help her, but she knows I have a new one and we are close enough for her to ask for help and encouragement.

She has a shield that seems to be working but she's very paranoid about using it too long.

She's seen an LC who gave her the shield but I don't think she's seen her since.

He's even starting to refuse a bottle, so her options are getting more limited which of course causes more stress that baby can read.

I showed her kellymom and Dr Newman sites.

Is there anything I'm not thinking of???

TIA!!
Sara

Sarah 06-22-2006 09:42 PM

Re: Latch sugg.

I don't know if this will work,but it did help us. I put Taci in a tummy2tummy hold in our sling and for some reason she'll open nice and wide like that.

Sarah

greenkmt 06-22-2006 09:56 PM

Dr. Newman is GREAT!

I had this problem in the begining with my little one because some stupid nurse told me that my sons mouth was little so I didn't expect him to open wide. I would suggest to her to insist that the baby have his mouth open all of the way and if not, unlatch and latch again. Also, have her squeeze the areola part together and shove it into babys mouth... sometimes, when they start to get used to more of the breast in the mouth, they start to open up more. Tell her to do this EVERY time as consistancy is the key.

My son is now 20.5 months so we have been working together a long time.

As far as the shield goes, I am not a big fan! I say throw it away unless she has inverted nipples. Reason being is that I was told by a LC at the WIC office to use one and thankfully, I went on the Medela web site and it has a caution has been known to cause milk supply decrease and I sure wouldn't want her to have supply issues with a new baby. Just my opinion. HTH

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html

have her search breast shield and milk supply...

hacandsac 06-22-2006 10:01 PM

Try rubbing the babies lips/gums with one finger making small circular motions and going over the entire outside of the lips/gums 10min. before a feeding. It should help relax the mussels in his mouth.

For The Love Of Cloth 06-22-2006 10:24 PM

I used to pull ds's chin down with my thumb to have him open wider, then stuff in the nipple. I have little and inverted nips and very large breasts so used the shield quite a bit (6 months with ds 1, 2 weeks with ds2). I agree to just work thru with consistancy until they get it right. I tend to overproduce milk so that wasn't a problem with the shield but maybe if she could pump a little to get the nipple really protruding then try latching on? That might also assist with keeping supply up and with getting let down started.

HTH!

ETA: I second the tummy to tummy. Make sure she is really focused on that position and that baby isn't twisted. Or try the football hold.

ChurchPunkMom 06-22-2006 11:50 PM

My daughter had a itty bitty mouth when she was born - even my MWs commented on it! (Funny, since she wasn't any itty bitty baby!) Anyway, it was hard to get her to open up wide. I ended up latching her on and then adjusting her while she was latched on. I'd stick my thumb up against her chin and gently pull down to open her mouth a little more and make sure her bottom lip was splayed against my breast. Then I'd do the same on her upper lip, close to the corners of her mouth, again making sure that her lips were "out" and not sucked in. She eventually got the hang of it and only occasionally do I have to help her out with it anymore. ;)

CourtneyinAlaska 06-23-2006 01:11 AM

Couple suggestions:

1. Express a bit of milk onto baby's lips, to encourage baby to open mouth.

2. Use football latch position. Baby to side on a couple pillows and sandwich areola so its smaller and let baby latch on to this smaller target. This one really helped me in the beginning.

HTH!

MSweeten 06-28-2006 02:40 PM

I need some suggestions too.....

I am there too, baby is 6 wks old and has a shallow latch, we've treated for Thrush- though baby had no symptoms. Have 2 bad sores on both breasts. Have done some pumping, and bottle feeding. Have been to LC 4-5 times, talk on phone every 2-3 days. Am now trying the football hold (still awkward) still have some pain but seem to be healing. Feeding bm in a bottle for every other feeding and pumping. Know he can open wider.... but not sure how to get it again.......

Any suggestions for taking care of mad, flailing arms????

Still trying

kezoo 06-28-2006 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChurchPunkMom
My daughter had a itty bitty mouth when she was born - even my MWs commented on it! (Funny, since she wasn't any itty bitty baby!) Anyway, it was hard to get her to open up wide. I ended up latching her on and then adjusting her while she was latched on. I'd stick my thumb up against her chin and gently pull down to open her mouth a little more and make sure her bottom lip was splayed against my breast. Then I'd do the same on her upper lip, close to the corners of her mouth, again making sure that her lips were "out" and not sucked in. She eventually got the hang of it and only occasionally do I have to help her out with it anymore. ;)

:yeahthat: my dd was that way. I used to do the same thing, and when she got a bit older, she started "munching" on - she would latch on w/ her little mouth and just munch her way onto the breast! I second pp's comments about ditching the shields - why do LC's love them so much - I've hardly ever heard anything good about them.

mercy589 06-28-2006 08:41 PM

Actually, I have used a shield for a year and five days now. The warnings pertained more to the old *thicker, rubber* sheilds, and the thin silicone ones they make now do not upset supply. I heartily agree that it is not the best option, but just wanted to say that we have had sucess for over a year now. I would love to wean her off the shield, but its just not happening right now. Good luck. And to the other mama asking for help, have you tried swaddling the baby to keep the arms down? Go to the forums on kellymom.com if you need more help. Hang in there!