Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   questions about the e-z-on 86y (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166955)

mama2madj 06-15-2007 02:31 PM

questions about the e-z-on 86y

i have a 7.5yo that is too heavy for *any* of the boosters as shes over 100lbs
i heard this mentioned on another thread and don't wanna hijack...soooo
has anyone else used it? where did you get it? how much did it cost?
can it be used in the front seat (a car with no airbags, once i have the baby i have no choice but to put her in the front seat until i can eventually get a car w/ 3rd row)
i see a tether kit for it, is that soemthing you install yourself to be able to use a tether? (i will hafta get a tether installed regardless since the middle seat in back does not have a tether hook)
tell me anything you know please :goodvibes:

Papooses 06-15-2007 03:05 PM

Re: questions about the e-z-on 86y

I have used it myself :) I'm 5'4" 100# This harness system accomodates up to 168# It can be used in any seat that has top tether anchor -- visit www.ezonpro.com for their customer contact information & give them a call: they usually have excellent, very informative reps! Their tether anchor kits are weighted to higher limits than standard car dealerships' because theirs are intended for special healthcare needs....

clothdiapermom 06-15-2007 03:23 PM

I don't personally know anything about that harness, but wanted to say you probably don't want to put your 7.5 year old in the front seat, we were actually taught in class that you should put a child that is in a 5 point harness carseat in the front seat and keep the 7.5 year old in the back seat. I would try to get in touch with a local tech so they can help you figure out the safest set up for your kids.

Papooses 06-15-2007 03:26 PM

True, the backseat is safest, but she already has 3 kids & doubling up 2 kids into 1 belt is absolutely not acceptable, so the oldest harnessed child would need to go up front until she can afford a more family friendly vehicle :blush:

mama2madj 06-15-2007 03:45 PM

thats true (esp when 3 are in carseats, lol!) but i think i understand what she's saying....the safest seated child should be in the least safe spot, which would be the front seat.
but if i got this tether she'd probably be the safest one in that seat, being harnassed and being the biggest, but i suppose maybe a kid in a carseat would be safest up there since it has the impact protection that the harnass wouldnt
so if for some reason i couldn't get this harness i should put my 65lb 5.5yo who would be in the regent up front? and then when the baby switches to the marathon, i figure nik'll be about 4.5by then, then he should be in the regent and abs would go back in the backseat in the booster seat....?
and if you're wondering :blush: i have a marathon and regent by my dad getting them as birthday/christmas gifts two yrs in a row:blush:
how much was it? and what do you mean by 'top tether anchor'? i have an suv so the tether hookup is in the back in the trunk area on the ground. is the tether kit to place a tether anchor in your car, or just reinforce the one thats already there? cause if its just to reinforce whats there id hafta get an anchor installed for the middle seat

Papooses 06-15-2007 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mama2mad (Post 1290253)
what do you mean by 'top tether anchor'? i have an suv so the tether hookup is in the back in the trunk area on the ground. is the tether kit to place a tether anchor in your car, or just reinforce the one thats already there? cause if its just to reinforce whats there id hafta get an anchor installed for the middle seat

If the EZOn is used in the front seat then you cannot use the cargo hooks + some cargo hooks are not intended for top tether use: every carseat has a tether strap on the back at the top of the carseat (in addition to lower LATCH anchors). Your carseat manual will tell you if all or which cargo hooks can be used for top tether anchor. What vehicle year, make, model? I do hope it's not a Chevy Blazer (not the Trailblazer) as those did not allow carseat installation in the center & there is no way to tether an EZOn for that seat either -- I had that vehicle & we ended up having to just leave 1 parent home if all 3 kids had to go somewhere, or take 1 kid to grandma's (we only had 3 kids).

mama2madj 06-15-2007 04:10 PM

97 ford explorer

i'm meaning the things to hook to tether too, i have them on each side in the back, but not in the middle....i dont have LATCH in that car, and probably won't have it installed since im hoping to get a different vehicle in febuary

Papooses 06-15-2007 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mama2mad (Post 1290365)
97 ford explorer

i'm meaning the things to hook to tether too, i have them on each side in the back, but not in the middle....i dont have LATCH in that car, and probably won't have it installed since im hoping to get a different vehicle in febuary

I think I should clarify as to what LATCH is verses top tether anchor verses cargo hooks :confusedsys: LATCH literally stands for Lower Anchors and top Tethers for CHildren, but I am refering only to the lower anchors in this situation while differentiating between that & the top tether anchor -- top tether anchor is not the same as tie down hooks in the cargo area.... I do not believe LATCH can be retrofit in this vehicle & since you have cargo tie down hooks you may not be able to retrofit top tether anchors (I don't have the updated LATCH manual to know for sure: as the other techs at www.car-seat.org!) Your vehicle manual will state whether some or all of the cargo hooks can be used for which rear seat carseat installs, but they cannot be used for front passenger seat occupant.