Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Question for mamas that fully vax... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168748)

haynmama 06-18-2007 07:02 PM

Question for mamas that fully vax...

Please don't judge me for this, but yes I do fully vax. :hide: For those mamas that do, do you give your LO tylenol before vaxing? I need some opinions, my sis is going to her DS's 4mo vax appt tomorrow. At his 2mo vax, he had a low grade fever for a day and was fussy as well. I never did so I am not much help. :headscratch: Her dr's office told her that they can administer it when she arrives, but I was thinking it should be taken like 1/2-hour before the appt. TIA for any input!
UPDATE: She did give him Tylenol when she got there. He ended up getting a low grade fever and fussy, but he's fine now. Thank you mamas for your input. I'll remember all this when DD goes to her appt next month.

crystalkicks 06-18-2007 07:05 PM

Re: Question for mamas that fully vax...

Sometimes they really dont need the extra meds. I asked my ped...(they all say something different), she said they should only get the tylenol with a fever. They wont be cranky or soar from the shots...they only need it with fever. So at 4 mo I didnt even use a dose of it and she was completely fine!! Hope that helps.

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 06-18-2007 07:11 PM

yes, we give tylenol to both kids when we'd hgo in for vax's.
i give them 30-45 minutes before the appt and we've never run into fevers:thumbsup:
your 4 month old should only have about .04 of the dropper of tylenol:goodvibes:

Choose2bgr8 06-18-2007 07:11 PM

When I did vax I only gave tylenol afterword and only when they were really cranky, acting like they were in pain, or had a fever.

sistersusannah 06-18-2007 07:25 PM

Our ped. suggested that we give Tylenol about 30 minutes before the appt. and it had worked well the past two visits. I also do some massage on DS leg when I get home, usually with an arnica gel rub, around the injection sites and that both eases his pain (if he is still experiencing any) and helps with any residual (of the vaccines) in that area. My suggestion is do what feels right to you and your sister; this is what feels right to us.

fostermomcchr 06-18-2007 07:57 PM

I just took my 2mth old fosterson in for his 2mth appt, the doc had the nurse bring me tylenol cuz I hadn't given him any at home-his ped doesn't want us to use it before 2mths so I hadn't gotten any yet. Noah was sound asleep before we left the office. He was cranky about 5 hrs later so I gave him more to help him feel better. Oh, the doc said he gets .8 and .4 since he weighs 16lbs now. I am not one to give meds unless needed, but I will give pain relief for sure!

VioletteCrumble 06-18-2007 08:05 PM

I've done delayed vaccines and skipped some. My son hasn't had any reactions whatsoever to any of them (including MMR). I don't use Tylenol to bring down fevers because I find Motrin more effective, but I also don't give anything before a vaccine. I figure if he seems in pain or feverish afterwards I can give it to him then.

BRIDEN 06-18-2007 08:08 PM

WE fully vacinate here but before we leave for the pedi's I give the boys tylenol (so about a halfhour to an hour before). :)

haynmama 06-18-2007 08:14 PM

Thanks, I will tell her all your thoughts. She is worried that tylenol will interfere w/his immune system (she's a first time mom). I really don't think it will, IME. My older DC are very healthy and we use(d) tylenol whenever they were feverish as babies.

Mommy2LivandNoah 06-18-2007 08:17 PM

For my son I do...for my DD I only give it to her if she needs it. Neither of mine have ever ran a fever or have any negative reactions so I just leave things alone if they don't need anything.