Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Camping with a 2yr old and 3 month old (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169390)

Sweetp 06-19-2007 06:02 PM

Camping with a 2yr old and 3 month old

I need some advice. I'm going camping with my husband and our 2 yr old and 3 month old next week. We're all going to be in the same tent, but what precautions should I take to make sure that my toddler can't get out of the tent . Is that a concern? Anyone gone camping with a 2 yr old? And what kind of life jacket do I want for her for being around a lake? What advice do any of you camper mamas have for me?

Sweetp 06-20-2007 10:54 AM

Re: Camping with a 2yr old and 3 month old

someone help me out.

Gerdgrid 06-20-2007 11:14 AM

No practical experience for you...There was a recent thread on tent camping in the offtopic forum that you might look up.

As far as life jackets, I believe as long as you get a coast guard approved one you should be good.

flobee76 06-20-2007 11:39 AM

We've been camping with our DD since she was a few months old. It's always been something that we enjoyed! You'll have a blast!

Anyway, as far as making sure your 2yo doesn't get out of the tent? Do you mean in the middle of the night? If you have zippers, I supposed you could put some sort of clip on the zippers? We always stayed with DD until she fell asleep. We have a "fly" over our tent that extends over the entry way and that is hard for DD to unzip now.

You could always check out your local sporting good store for life jackets. We never put our DD in one when we were near the water, but we will definitely next year. On my (not so fun trip) to Wal-Mart last week, I noticed lots of life jackets in their sporting good section.

Gosh, now that I read over this, I don't see any real advice! Just keep an eye on those little ones. They run off fast! :giggle:

Monzie 06-20-2007 11:40 AM

Hmmmm.... I don't have any useful advice for you, but I do have a related anecdote...

Last summer, we went tent camping at a state park with "pack in" sites (no road leading in, so you had to carry all your stuff over a mile from the parking lot to the camping area). A family with a toddler and a newborn set up camp right next to us and I told my husband I couldn't believe they were going to attempt it. The mom stayed in camp with the kids and the dad spent hours hauling in all their stuff. It took them literally all day to set up their campsite....huge "family tent" with cots, a screened tent over the picnic table, a camp stove, a couple of gigantic coolers. It was crazy.

Oh, and they also had two weimeraners! :eek:

That night, the baby started howling and it echoed all over the park. You could hear all the other campers in their tents, waking up and rolling around in their sleeping bags. You couldn't hear them cursing, but I'm sure there was a fair bit of that too. The poor kid cried until dawn. And, at some point, one of their dogs ran off too. Yikes.

Later that following morning, the family packed up all that stuff and went home. That's when my husband and I agreed that we wouldn't take our kid camping until s/he was just a weeeeeee bit older. ;)

Good luck to you. Be sure to give us a trip report when you come back!

GrahamBaby4 06-20-2007 05:02 PM

We did this when we only had two, now we have a camper. But, First off, make sure you take glow sticks for the 2 yr old (walmart even has battery operated ones) it will make him/her more comfortable in the dark. And, Have the light sleeper (mom or dad) sleep next to the opening of the tent, even if it is a different direction than the rest of the family because you will know if the 2 yr old gets up to go somewhere. Always have their security item with them, blanket, dolly, whatever it may be.
Hope that helps a bit, don't forget the boob/bottle LOL sippy cups for the 2 yr old if he/she needs them and other "home" like items that you know make them comfy.

GrahamBaby4 06-20-2007 05:06 PM

Life jackets... Just make sure they have a crotch strap... My 3yr old just flipped out of our boat a few weeks ago (throwing food at ducks) and we were stopped on shore, which is a good thing, but he went head first over a pretty high side, neither dh or I had any idea that it was possible, Ive been boating my whole life and have NEVER seen anything like it, granted we were laughing very hard a while later about it. Some children will wear the life jacket with the "pillow" as we call it, and others will not, make sure that you try it on first, they will tell you if it is not comfortable, and you pick one that is. our kiddos stay in life jackets if they even decide only their feet are going in. I was a life guard/ swim instructor for too long and I have seen too many bad things happen, so this is one of our BIG rules.

looking8186 06-20-2007 05:17 PM

Hmm I dont have any great advice other than maybe for the tent you could even just take a paper clip and hook the two zippers togethor so you lil one cant escape or tie bells to the zippers or for that matter, to your kiddos pjs so you wake up if he/she is on the move.... and for a life jacket you could even just get something this simple...

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2109%20T

(i hope its okay to post that)

Just make sure you make a list check it twice and have everything to keep everyone comfy.... Baby carriers for the itsy bitsy one would be super helpful probably and even for your 2 yr old... More than anything though just go with the flow, dont have too many expectations and remember with little ones ANYTHING can happen :giggle:

Have tons of fun and make sure we get an update :thumbsup:

TwinKristi 06-20-2007 05:22 PM

We have taken our toddlers and infants camping a lot and haven't had too many issues w/ them getting out and stuff. We just make sure we zip the tent at the top so they can't reach it. I used a PnP while we camped but a few wks ago we just used 2 air mattresses in our big tent for the 5 of us and it worked out ok so we'll probably do that when we go camping in a couple weeks. The older boys have their own tent.
Life jackets can be purchased at any store like Target, WalMart, KMart, Big5, etc. and just make sure it's certified. It will say right on it if it is.
Lots of sunscreen, lots of bug spray, lots of water, lots of fun!! :giggle: We love camping!!