Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Spent the afternoon in the ER! I am SO MAD! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169565)

VirginiaOtis 06-19-2007 09:27 PM

Spent the afternoon in the ER! I am SO MAD!

So we went to lunch as a family to a resteraunt that we go to fairly often. We got alice what we normally get her. She always has some Chow Mein and the broccoli from my beef with brocolli. No we have been really careful when giving Alice food. Always let her try a little and watch her like a hawk. Alergies run on both of our sides, For instance dan is allergic to shelfish. So when we sat down to eat Dan tried some of Alice's brocolli after a minute. he made this face and announced that it tasted like Shrimp. I asked him if we needed to get him some benedryl and he said no, he will whatch it. No we have kept alice away from Shelfish for this reason. And, for this sake we always check for allergy warning and ask before giving her new food. So upon this announcment we watched her as she had already sucked the sauce out of most of her food. Dan went up to ask the manager about the shrimp taste where she told him that it has oyster sauce in it.. WHAT!!! That is not posted anywhere!! he asked her where it was posted and she directed him to there website... So Alice seems alright so far so i go to chane her diaper and clean her up before we leave.. I get her on the floor (because for some reason this place has no changing table) and see her legs look red. I figure its just the light as it was really bad in the bathroom. Take her outside where dan was and look again. her legs are red swollen and has a raised rash all over it. Crap. So we get her in the car and start heading to her Ped. We get on the freeway and notice the rash is getting worse and now she is rubbing her eyes and crying.. so we call her ped to alert her and head up tp primary children's hospital. By the time we get there her eyes are almost swollen shut, but the contact rash from where the sauce touched her is starting to fade. They give us some benedryl for her and it starts to go down. so know she is on benedryl every five hours and we have to go see an allergist in the morning.

I am so MAD, this place had no allergy information listed anywhere in the resteraunt. There was absolutly nothing. And her reaction got bad so fast that if we weren't paying attention and knew what to look for we would be in a much worse situation.

Sorry I had to vent. We are conteplating getting a lawyer, just so they will post allergy information. I really don't want this to happen to someone else.

MCR 06-19-2007 09:35 PM

Re: Spent the afternoon in the ER! I am SO MAD!

So So scary, Hope she feels better soon.

luvmykiddoes 06-19-2007 09:36 PM

I'm so sorry your DD and your family went throught that. I would be sooooo mad.:lemmeathim: I would try to make them pay for the hospital visit at least. Information like that should be posted. After all how many people check a website before going to eat!?! I know I never do.

deb 06-19-2007 09:38 PM

I'm so sorry, that must've been so scary!! I would get the lawyer. They need to have an allergy sign posted. What if you hadn't made it to the dr in time??!! :cry:

Infinity 06-19-2007 09:38 PM

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: So glad you caught it in time!! Hope she feels better!!

Leininger27 06-19-2007 09:40 PM

That is the craziest thing I have ever heard. The ingredients are posted on the website??? Why not the menu????????:banghead: So sorry your dd went through that. Hope she is doing better now! Give her lots of hugs and kisses!

JustAugust 06-19-2007 09:43 PM

EEK! Poor little thing.

LuAnn 06-19-2007 09:43 PM

:hugs: glad shes ok mama

Shes had that food before? are you sure there wasnt some kind of horrible mistake of the oysters put in it? Yes they should have had it posted, but Im not sure a lawyer would do any good as you probably should have asked is what they would say, or something stupid like that:( But it may also be worth a shot to try and see what they can do...:hugs:

themom 06-19-2007 10:16 PM

Just so you know in the future, oyster sauce is a VERY common ingredient in Chinese food. It is in every beef and broccoli dish that I have ever had and in most of the chicken dishes as well. I don't think you'll get too far with a lawyer. If you have allergies that severe, you need to always ask first. I'm sorry this happened. So scary!!

VirginiaOtis 06-19-2007 10:32 PM

Sorry I was typing fast and forgot to put a few bits of info in - I know Oyster sauce is common - which is why we asked before we gave it to her. Either the person who originally gave it to us didn't know or that particular location put far to much in. Either way It should have been posted. We checked and its state law here. The only reason we even considered getting a lawyer is because my friend who is a paralegal said it might be good just so they will post there ingrediants in the resteraunt - thats all I want. I would feel awful if it happened to someone elses child and we did nothing when we could have.

Thanks for your warm wishes. She is still very out of it - she has to on benedryl for the next 17 hours.. yay