Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Screaming/Screeching 6 mo: Is this normal? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169576)

zebaby 06-19-2007 09:52 PM

Screaming/Screeching 6 mo: Is this normal?

O.k. so I just can't figure out why he's doing this. My 6.5 mo DS has started practicing this "screechy" scream. At first I was mildly humored by it but sometimes it just grates on my nerves! He'll usually start with his usual vocalizations then change into this screech. He doesn't have a rhyme or reason for doing it (he's not in pain, doesn't seem to be frustrated about anything in particular, isn't necessarily trying to get my attention per se).

Here are a few other things he's been doing recently FYI in case any of you think they might be relevant: sitting up, pushing up & back with his arms while on his tummy (pre-crawl?), rocking while sitting, trying different solids (brown rice cereal, bananas, prunes, carrots, yellow squash, avocado, peaches, occasional suck on dinner roll), crying out in his sleep (for about 10-20 seconds; I can't explain that one either!)

If anyone has any insight into this new trick LMK. I'm a little concerned since DH's brother is severely autistic so part of me is paranoid that it can be an early sign. However, DS is really social and loves physical contact so he doesn't really fit the autistic mold, plus we have not vaxed at all, just to be on the 'safe' side.

twinsplus2more 06-19-2007 09:54 PM

Re: Screaming/Screeching 6 mo: Is this normal?

It sounds like he discovered his voice. lol! All his development seems on track. I'm no doctor but I'm pretty sure he is too young to show any signs of autism :hugs:

ommelissa 06-19-2007 09:56 PM

nope, it's totally normal and...
you may not want to hear this, but my seven month old is STILL doing it!

foodie.yarnie.mommie. 06-19-2007 09:58 PM

Yup we went through that phase too. So much fun :)

moonphishers 06-20-2007 02:25 AM

all the things you mentioned, screaming included, sound 'normal' to mee too :D enjoy!

mommymusic 06-20-2007 11:24 PM

Our 5 mo old just started this a couple of days ago...we were also amused at first, but it's getting old - and painful on the ears!

I keep thinking that her throat will get sore and she'll stop, but it hasn't happened yet. :mrgreen:

Our first dd didn't do it, but each kiddo is different and I've known other babies who discovered their voices through screeching.

They also quickly learn that it's a great way to get attention!

zebaby 06-21-2007 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommymusic (Post 1319554)
They also quickly learn that it's a great way to get attention!

It's hard to ignore it! I did give DS a stern look when he did it while I was on the phone which threw him for a loop (giggled at first, then got serious when he realized I wasn't smiling back:giggle: ).

Is this behavior something I should try to discourage when we're out or should I just avoid going places where it would be inappropriate?

clarinetb 06-21-2007 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zebaby (Post 1325065)
It's hard to ignore it! I did give DS a stern look when he did it while I was on the phone which threw him for a loop (giggled at first, then got serious when he realized I wasn't smiling back:giggle: ).

Is this behavior something I should try to discourage when we're out or should I just avoid going places where it would be inappropriate?

Our little girl is 5 months old today and worked this out a good month ago. She honestly had one day where she screeched off and one for a couple of hours. My husband put his earplugs in to play with her. I figured she'd just loose her voice, but no such luck!

I'm not sure there is any way to control or discourage it at this age. If I don't pay attention to it, she repeats it to get attention. If I do pay attention, she laughs and does it again.

I think it is fun for her. My husband says she likes to hear herself :giggle: I think they are really impressed with what they can do. She has plenty of other vocalizations that are not nearly so hard to take, but she still likes to scream. Our little one also does the crying out in her sleep....

:hugs: for your ears and nerves!

Shannon 06-21-2007 10:07 PM

Sounds like my noisy 6 month old.

carleyann'smommy 06-21-2007 10:36 PM

oh Momma we are in the same boat my DD is 6.5 months too and doing pretty much all the same stuff including the screaming. She did a few months back and stopped and now she is back to doing it. They have just found their voice no reason for concern. She especially likes to do it to the dogs like she is calling them and it is at a pitch my dog hates he hides under the table:laugh: . Be prepared she loves to do it out and about too. They are just screamy little 6.5 month olds. :giggle: