Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What to do with Dirties? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1698)

MrsFloor 04-26-2006 09:39 PM

What to do with Dirties?

I don't have any kids (I am pregnant with my first) so I am still trying to picture how this whole cloth diaper thing works. When my friends take a sposie off their baby--they just throw it in the diaper genie. What do I do with my cloth diaper? Do I need to dump the contents in the toilet? Can I just throw it in a pail of water until I am ready to do a load of laundry? I am going to have prefolds as well as PUL covers. Do I need to soak the covers before washing? Should I soak them separately from the prefolds?

Sorry for all the questions--I just have no clue.

momeeboys 04-26-2006 09:50 PM

Re: What to do with Dirties?

Congrats to you for going cloth and for your baby!!

There are several ways to do this. If you plan to breastfeed (allow yourself 6 weeks to get the hang of it, hook up with LLL if you can right now. BF'ing is learned for both mom and baby:) ), the poo'd diapers can go right in a bucket and right into the machine--no rinsing. BF'd poo just gets absorbed into the PF. If you can swing it, get cloth wipes. Way easy to just throw everything into the bucket instead of separating out the disposible wipes from the cloth.

I always separated my PF from my covers. I've heard that the pee smell can linger in PUL. Not sure if that's true, or if it's even a factor with wee babes. Anyway, more experience mamas will let you know the real skinny.:D

*bugsmama* 04-26-2006 09:50 PM

I have a simple diaper pail from BRU. It cost like $10 and works great. It is a Safety First. It has a hole with a lid on top that you push the button and the lid pops open. I line it with a plain old garbage bag. When the dipes are dirty I throw them in there. No soaking, a wet pail is dangerous as kids get bigger and with the newer fabrics and what not a wet pail is not necessary. Once I am ready to wash I dump the whole bag in the washer, run a cold rinse with no detergent to get the poop off (if you are planning to BF, breastmilk poop disolves in the water as the baby gets bigger you may need to shake the big poop off into the toilet, but you don't need to scrape), then I run a hot wash with 2Tbs of washing soda and 4-5 squirts of Simple Green, then run one more cold wash. You can also use the Diaper Champ for a pail. It works well for CDs. Check out www.sunshinediapers.com for washing info.

wbkt8 04-26-2006 10:23 PM

i use a white flip-top 13 gal? trash can that i bought for less than $10 at Target. when it gets smelly i just wash it out with hot soapy water. you could also get a wet bag/pail liner there are a bunch of brands out there that you can just toss in the wash with the diapers.

as for dumping - i never did until dd's poo got more solid. probably somewhere between 12-15 months for us, but she's not a huge solid's eater. but basically that's not something to worry about for a long time.

i dont' separate the soaker/insert from the main diaper until i go to wash - i figure i just get my hands dirty then anyway. pul/fleece/wool covers i usually let air out between uses (unless they're dirty). the pul then goes in with the diapers - i've never had a smell issue but i wash every other day ('cause that's how much my pail holds). the fleece i wash with normal laundry (unless it's really yucky and then it goes with teh diapers). wool i wash by hand.

katie

Shealaine 04-26-2006 10:30 PM

Before the baby starts solids and if BF'ing you can just toss the whole dirty diaper into your diaper pail. I just use a reg. garbage can with a plastic bag lining it :) It doesnt get stinky (well a tiny bit, but only if you stick your face right near it), and it doesnt have a lid.

When Im out and about I use either a plastic bag, or one of those zippered plastic bags that used to have sheets in them. I dont have a real wetbag but you can buy some nice ones too!

We havent gotten to the solid food poops yet, so Im not sure how that will make things different.

I hope that helps a little!

kthoelen 04-27-2006 06:26 PM

I use a simple flip top lid trash can. I do have pail liners and come wash day I just dump the bag in the washer and throw the bag in. I wasn't able to bf dd as she has low tone and couldn't suck strong enough to get food so I had to use formula, but incase you don't or can't bf I would suggest getting a mini shower. You attach it to the toilet and just spray the poop off the dipe, I squeeze the extra water out and toss it in the pail till wash day.

Best wishes for cd and bf and Baby!!

Kerri

EmmalinesMom 04-27-2006 07:07 PM

With breastfed baby poop, it's super easy because it all just washes right out in the machine. :) When the poop becomes more solid, you can just shake it out into the toilet (which you're supposed to do with sposies too, but people rarely do it....) or there are diaper sprayers you can use too.

I just have a hanging bag on the bathroom doorknob and toss the dirties in there. I wash every other day, and there aren't any stink issues. ;) I will sometimes toss a Diaper Buddy (deoderizer and laundry booster) in there too.

Congrats on your baby and for considering cloth! :)

jodi5 04-27-2006 08:05 PM

[QUOTE=MrsFloor]I don't have any kids (I am pregnant with my first) so I am still trying to picture how this whole cloth diaper thing works. When my friends take a sposie off their baby--they just throw it in the diaper genie. What do I do with my cloth diaper?
Throw it in the pail. I have a bummis wet bag that lines a garbage pail, it can go in the wash with the diapers if you want to. I actually find when I have used disposables, I feel lost as to what to do, I guess I 'm just used to my cloth

Do I need to dump the contents in the toilet?
Not while you are breastfeeding. Once your baby is on solids down the road, you can shake what you can into the toilet. Some people have a diaper sprayer if it is sticky or use liners. You can get flushable liners or fleece reusable liners

Can I just throw it in a pail of water until I am ready to do a load of laundry?
No need to use water. Some people use water for poopy diapers and dry pail the rest. I just dry pail everything.

I am going to have prefolds as well as PUL covers. Do I need to soak the covers before washing? Should I soak them separately from the prefolds?
Do not soak your covers. I generally put my covers in a separate pail, that way if I do a soak on the rest of the diapers, the covers aren't in there. If I want to wash my covers with the diapers, I will just add them to the washing machine when I do the load. I tend to wash all my covers together so they can be on a gentler cycle and I hang them to dry most of the time since they dry so fast. I think they last longer that way too.

If you decide to trifold your prefolds, it makes it super easy if you trifold them when they come out of the dryer and stack them so they are ready to use. When you change you just open cover, pull out dirty one, layin a clean one and do up the cover again. Whatever you do, find the system that works for you. It will take a little bit to get your rhythm but once you have it, it is easy.

MamaZ 04-27-2006 08:28 PM

I put my dipes into two wetbags that hang outside on our porch. DH is weird about them being in the house :loony: But I just either knock of the solid poop or use some toilet paper to get it off.

MrsFloor 04-28-2006 12:57 AM

Thank you ladies! You helped SO much! I am sure I will have more and more questions as I get started, but it's becoming a little more clear every day.