Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   QUIT TATTLING (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169868)

LuAnn 06-20-2007 12:49 PM

QUIT TATTLING

Ok I babysit a 18m old and a 6 1/2 yr old plus I have ds thats 25m....and OMG its the 6yr olds duty to tattle on ds for ANYTHING he does, and than tell on her sister for certain things...QUIT THEY ARE LITTLE,and on top of it QUIT telling ME (the babysitter) how to raise MY CHILD you are 6yrs old NOT old enough to parent:lostit:

Just had to scream because if she tells on either 1 of them for something again shes taking a nap today:)

mom2riley 06-20-2007 01:28 PM

Re: QUIT TATTLING

Tell me about it. I watch a 5 yr old that tattles all day long :yuck:

togg_mama 06-20-2007 01:43 PM

when I was growing up, unless it was a life and death issue, the tattler got double whatever they were hoping their victim would get. :giggle:

dirtdartwife 06-20-2007 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by togg_mama (Post 1315929)
when I was growing up, unless it was a life and death issue, the tattler got double whatever they were hoping their victim would get. :giggle:

no kidding!!! I do that with my kids and the neighborhood kids learned very recently that I don't tolerate tattling. My oldest did something to a kid (trust me, after MUCH provoking from the other kid so the other kid was just utterly SHOCKED that my DD finally did something- and it wasn't even harmful) and I had a group come to tattle on her. Well, when the dust finally settled, one of them pipes up with "So what's going to happen to her (my DD)?" and I just laughed. Lots of eyebrows shot up with "Nothing, she already apologized. The question I have for you is what will I do with all of YOU for tattling on her, wasting MY time from running MY household because YOU are angry that she did something to you because after her telling you four times to stop what you were doing, she finally grabbed your arm to tell you forcefully to stop. Sounds like to me you should have listened.... OH! And it was over stupid pine straw! We live with pine trees for miles, go find another tree and start solving your own problems! Unless a bone is broken or someone is bleeding, don't bother me with this trivial junk again, ya understand?" And I walked in the house, leaving six girls just standing there with their mouth open on the ground.

Yeup.. .I don't put up with tattling.

LuAnn 06-20-2007 02:02 PM

I am so glad to see that shes normal (which I knew:giggle: ) but its still drives me INSANE...and my parents were the same way, unless someone was doing something to danger theirselves or others do NOT come telling on them. which is why I told her if she tells 1 more time she has to lay down when the other 2 take a nap....

We are working on potty training ds (not pushing it but if he fights his diaper I let him run for a bit) well last week he got up and had to pee, so he went running for his bathroom (our main bathroom but dh and I don't usually use it, we use the 1 in our room) and the 6yr odl was in there, WELL ds peed on the floor and than went to play and accidentally peed on the floor a 2nd timeand she told me that I NEED to put him in time out....than he did something else and she told me that HE NEEDED time out...Im the MOM and the sitter not you

luvmykiddoes 06-20-2007 02:43 PM

I don't babysit for that reason and a few others. It drives me crazy. Last summer I babysat the neighbors girl and all she did was complain about the toys we have or don't have and tell on Caleb constantly. She also would shut the doors and sit behind them because she didn't want Caleb to play with them. Such a brat. They asked me to do it agian this year but I said no.

eirbjorn 06-20-2007 04:47 PM

My son is like this a lot ~ the tattling is beginning to wear off some, but his personality is so... anal, I guess? If things are at all done differently other than what he believes to be the correct way, he has such a difficult time dealing... so he is constantly parenting his younger sister, telling her what to do, saying what she's doing wrong, etc, etc, etc,.... drives us all nuts... but not a whole lot that can be done, he'll realize in time that that isn't how it goes. With more exposure to "real life" he learns that there is more than one way to behave or do things.
I'd just smile and say, "that's now how we do it here" or "I only listen to nice words about others" or something like that. It is amazing at how quickly it becomes boring when nothing actually happens.

At least, that is what works with DD... DS, still hoping he'll figure it out eventually.

marymom 06-20-2007 04:51 PM

my dd will be 7 in August and tattles on her 17 mo sister ALL the time!!! :banghead: so annoying!!!

GrahamBaby4 06-20-2007 08:43 PM

You might want to tell her that you appreciate that she notices what they are doing... (start with the good...) then say, however, if they aren't hurting themselves or hurting someone else, then it is okay to not tell you what they are doing. Then, Give her a job of things to "do" or "watch" for.... 6yr olds are awesome helpers when put in the right direction, if you say, Instead of playing mommy to these two, could you wash off my table with this rag? Could you dust the base boards in the house? (these jobs that we hate, they love because they are helping you, and they are noticed.... just pick something "special" for her to do when she needs some "direction" to keep her from feeling like she has to parent. Mine Love to take out the trash (LOL), clean off the table, wash the table, set the table, empty the portions of the dishwasher that won't hurt them (we always make sure their hands are clean first) They love washing dishes... Standing on a chair playing in the water, at least they are busy, and nothing has to be done perfect, they are just busy...
Good Luck!! I have a tattle here that will argue with the younger kiddos for hours on end if he can, but if I direct him elsewhere he is much happier (as is everyone else)

LOTS OF HUGS!!!

mama23boys 06-20-2007 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by togg_mama (Post 1315929)

maybe thats what i need to do...i have a 12yo and an 8yo who are constanly :poke: :lemmeathim: :nono: :argue: and then the 12yothinks HE is mr.mom when in fact he can barely deal with himself!! :banghead:

Grahambaby4 has a great suggestion.