Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Sleep help PLEASE... Exhausted baby and mommy! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170106)

JRo 06-20-2007 05:41 PM

Sleep help PLEASE... Exhausted baby and mommy!

My son will NOT take naps longer than 45 minutes. He used to sleep for 2 hours, three times a day and then would sleep at least one 3-4 hours stretch and 2 hours other than that at night. MOST of this was in the swing, my own fault, but he had reflux and acted colicky, I was just trying to survive here!

Well, now the swing broke three weeks ago. Took three days to find a way to get ds to sleep. Now I can lull him to sleep in 3-5 minutes, BUT he wakes up after 30 minutes! I have tried napping with him, and that did not work, I have tired lulling him back to sleep when he wakes up, i am LUCKY if that works, and I have tried rocking him for the whole nap (still only sleep for 30 minutes). Now he is taking 4 30-45 minute naps a day and then sleeping at night, but only in 1.5 - 2 hour increments! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: I was starting to feel 'rested' but now I am almost as tired as I was when he was 6 weeks old! He even has bags under his eyes.

I don't mind letting him cry for 15-20 minutes:hide: but longer than that literally makes me sick to my stomach. Any suggestions? He sleeps just as long in the crib as he does right next to me... I am running out of ideas and I am desperately trying to NOT make him CIO for too long.. it just breaks my heart...

AmandaS 06-20-2007 05:46 PM

Re: Sleep help PLEASE... Exhausted baby and mommy!

Try swaddling him to help him feel more secure. Also, I would swaddle my son and then kinda prop him up a little with the boppy (even though you're not supposed to) so it would feel like he was more upright. Seemed to help him.

JRo 06-20-2007 06:00 PM

I do swaddle. That is part of the cue to let him know that it is time to sleep... thanks though! :thumbsup:

Oh, and the reflux has somehow almost disappeared... he does sleep propped up on a pillow sort of though... (I think it was a MAJOR over supply issue, but I am no ped)

mamandeyuri 06-20-2007 06:21 PM

Ok, no flames- pls! I had the same problem...and you won't believe this... I put ds on his tummmy after days and days of 3 hours total sleep...and DS SLEPT FOR 4 HRS!!

My poor sitter had the same prob, ds will not sleep on his back. DS1 wouldn't either and in desperation I put him on his tummy. My mom said, "You slept on your tummy and your still here!" Of course I had to fib:blush: to the ped, but I was happy and so was baby. He's still here! (You know the SIDS video in the hosp. scared the daylights out of me!)

Good luck- please remember I resorted to this sleeping position after 5 days of 3 hours of consecutive sleep!

Bot Girl 06-20-2007 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamandeyuri (Post 1317648)
Ok, no flames- pls! I had the same problem...and you won't believe this... I put ds on his tummmy after days and days of 3 hours total sleep...and DS SLEPT FOR 4 HRS!!

My poor sitter had the same prob, ds will not sleep on his back. DS1 wouldn't either and in desperation I put him on his tummy. My mom said, "You slept on your tummy and your still here!" Of course I had to fib:blush: to the ped, but I was happy and so was baby. He's still here! (You know the SIDS video in the hosp. scared the daylights out of me!)

Good luck- please remember I resorted to this sleeping position after 5 days of 3 hours of consecutive sleep!

Me and my 3 siblings all slept on our tummies. My DD would wake up every 1.5 - 2 hrs until my Mom told me to put her on her tummy - she slept 7 hours. (This was at 6 weeks). She's just a tummy sleeper, and so am I.

And I lied to the pedi, too :bagoverhead:

onelil2lil3lilpiglets 06-20-2007 06:50 PM

my little one calms down on his tum tum too :goodvibes: he has gas and stuff and he always burps really loud and then chills out after i get him on his stomach and he is good to go on his back (for some reason when we burp him he never burps :headscratch: only when he is on his stomach) he also sleeps well in his bouncer :goodvibes: i know with my first i used to put him in his carseat and put him on top of the washer/dryer and he was good there too...they also have a cool thing you can put on your crib that simulates a car ride if all else fails :hugs:

JRo 06-20-2007 07:24 PM

I will try tummy again... the few times I have tried he cried till he was too tired to cry... then only slept for 30 minutes!:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Maybe since I know how to get him to sleep easy, he won't cry.

I am a tummy sleeper, and was when I was his age!

sistersusannah 06-20-2007 07:44 PM

Mama, I feel your pain, but it will get better. We were having almost the identical issue with our son and then I asked the moms here for help and by God, through their suggestions and the book Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child, we are sleeping thru the night and taking 2 good naps a day. I would get the book NOW, the sooner the better so that you can get some sleep too. The book does employ CIO but it allows you to decide how aggressivley you want to do it, and it explains many diff. situations and the solutions to help. Seriously, I know your pain but there is sleep in your future. Good Luck.

ndunn 06-20-2007 08:00 PM

I hear that the Happy Hang up is great for naps, and so is the Amby Bed.

I understand being exhausted. My dd woke up over 20 times a night every.single.night from 4-7 months.
I'd just be careful with CIO - even advocates don't recommend you do it before 6 months old.

Hope you find something that works but be assured that it's a phase, it will pass and it's part of having a baby. Some babies just don't sleep great but it does get better!

JRo 06-20-2007 08:07 PM

Yeah, I am really not comfortable with CIO... it seems to me like I should be able to teach him to sleep, not leave him to figure it out on his own... but I am about that tired at this point. I am also the only one doing anything with him. My DH is a wonderful hubby and father, it is just that he is at work... so I can be at home. That adds to the frustration level for me. Thanks for the suggestions so far!