Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Help, my 6 yo DS has B.O. BAD! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170309)

haynmama 06-20-2007 10:00 PM

Help, my 6 yo DS has B.O. BAD!

What can I do? I don't want to put deodorant, or anything chemically, KWIM? It reeks, it smells like and aloe plant (cut open). I don't like baby powder, it makes me wheeze. Thanks for any input.

Samantha 06-20-2007 10:03 PM

Re: Help, my 6 yo DS has B.O. BAD!

Is he washing his pits in the shower? Or is he neglecting them? BO is bacteria, so an antibacterial soap should help.

You could try the crystal stuff. It works GREAT and there are no harsh chemicals.

mommy2alisa 06-20-2007 10:08 PM

My 6 year old DD just started having underarm odor last week :yuck: I'm actually shocked because I was much older before I had that problem. I gave her an antipersprirant/deodorant to use after she showers and problem solved. I was uncomfortable about putting chemicals on her too. I am thinking of getting a deodorant stone, they are crystals made of salt. I use to use one years ago and it really worked. Another thing you can try is cornstarch.

haynmama 06-20-2007 10:29 PM

I will try that crystal thing and cornstarch. He does wash his pits. I go in the shower and do it for him. We can't use anything but Dove sensitive skin on him because he gets eczema from soap. So no antibacterials for him. IKWYM, I didn't get BO until I was like 12 or 13 (puberty age). What is up w/the BO? I wish he could take some kind of BodyMint pills. :yuck:

escapethevillage 06-20-2007 10:36 PM

It's easy. (for now)

He's just not cleaning himself good enough....

You can use dial soap, and really scrub them good. I have heard someone say Spritzing a little vodka on his armpits will kill the bacteria. Make sure he dries himself really well too.

But, basically, once you kill the bacteria, the smell will go away temporarily. It isn't the normal B.O that he will have when he is about 9-ish. That's when you need real deoderant. It still stinks the same though.

Now, you just need to find something that kills the bacteria. Vinegar, baking soda, Dial soap, tea tree oil... whatever you have that might work.

A good long swim in a chlorinated pool will help too.

It's scary isn't it? Just that horrifying thought that your little boy is going through puberty already. It's not a good feeling. I lost a lot of sleep over that.

escapethevillage 06-20-2007 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haynmama (Post 1319380)
We can't use anything but Dove sensitive skin on him because he gets eczema from soap. So no antibacterials for him. :

You might want to try the dial soap, but just for his arm pits. The crystal doesn't really work until you kill the bacteria first.

mamandeyuri 06-21-2007 08:50 AM

My ds is 8 w/the same problem. I tried the salt crystal and no luck. We went to the health food store and bought some Tom's Deodorant that worked ok. It doesn't have aluminum in it. Cheap cologne works also- the alcohol kills the bacteria. I basically look for deodorants without the antiperspirant. Arm N Hammer and Speed stick are the only ones you'll find in stores liek wally world or target. Good luck and make sure he washes well.

geckoed 06-21-2007 07:03 PM

cut out dairy for 2 weeks and I bet it goes away. Meanwhile scrub well and you can spray w/ a mixture off tea tree oil and water or grapefruit seed extract and water, and then if he still stinks get deod from the health food store