Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   S/O Dr.s recommending circ for older babies/children (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170392)

L J 06-21-2007 01:31 AM

S/O Dr.s recommending circ for older babies/children

I didn't want to hijack the other thread, but it did make me want to start a new one.

Henry had a BAD allergic reaction to some diaper salve with TTO in it a few weeks ago. His penis swelled up and was red and it had a blister on the tip. I freaked out, and called a pedi (he has never been to the dr before) and explained the situation. WITHOUT SEEING HIM they immediately said that I was going to have to have him circ'd.

:lostit:

I knew that was the craziest thing I had ever heard, it was an allergic reaction for goodness sake! Needless to say, I did not take him in to the office (and never will) and I squirted some breastmilk on it and it went away a day later.

So, what I am wondering, after my very strange experience, has a medical professional told you you needed to circ your son for any unnecessary reasons? Do you think that its something doctors recommend unnecessarily because they are unfamiliar with the uncircumcised penis? Is it a big conspiracy? :giggle: (That was a joke, in case anyone is humorless today.)

Infinity 06-21-2007 02:36 AM

Re: S/O Dr.s recommending circ for older babies/children

That is Freaking NUTS!!! I wouldn’t take my DC there either!! To give such a drastic and major diagnosis without even seeing the patient and trying anything first is outrageous!! I actualy look for Pedis that are against it but will still preform them and that do delayed vax and are open to natural remidies even if I don't always chose that rout. I want them to look at my DC as a whole and as a human not as a # and $$.

Where I live you literally have to fight to get a baby boy cerc’ed. When my 7yo was born I had to sign a paper at the hospital saying I wanted it done, I had 4 nurses try to talk me out of it, then I had to get a apt, at the apt there was a 30mn lecture on all the cons and a stack of papers to sign.
When Asterix was born I had to talk to 3 nurses and a Pedi at the hospital and sign papers saying they’d explained all the cons and that it’s purely cosmetic, then because I wanted my Pedi to do it (he’s been doing them for 40 years in a huge Jewish community even though he personally is against it and recommends not to) I had to get a apt with him. He HAD to tell me all the cons and I had that huge stack of papers to fill out again.

So maybe in other areas Drs are cut happy but here in Northern California where all the Hippies and Naturalists live they are not. Our DRs are actually against it and make you jump threw tons of hoops to get your DS circumcised at birth. My boys and 2 of my friends’ DS are the only boys I know of that are cerc’ed. I know easily 20 little boys that are not.

themom 06-21-2007 02:56 AM

No one has ever suggested circ for my boys but I have heard of people doing it for such harmless things as ballooning :headscratch:

JustAugust 06-21-2007 07:52 AM

That is NUTS!!

It's never been suggested to us, but we've never had an issue with his penis either. We also rarely ever go to the doctor, I'm sure that helps. lol.

marymom 06-21-2007 08:01 AM

i'm too scared to take Eli to the dr for this very reason :blush:

lmao at the conspiracy comment!!! :spit:

SahmIam 06-21-2007 08:11 AM

It probably is a huge conspiracy. Kinda like global warming. :rofl:

massbb2 06-21-2007 09:04 AM

My pedi doesn't tell you either way. He just told me it didn't have to be done at the hospital. We could wait to make the decision. He has 4 dds. I asked him later on and he said he wouldn't do it.

I wish someone had spent the time lecturing us on the pros and cons. I let DH make the decision and since he was circ'd, he wanted his boys to be as well.

Now even he thinks we should have thought it out more...

No sense in regrets and my boys are fine, but if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't have done it.

Brenda

Mom2Gray 06-21-2007 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L J (Post 1319753)
Do you think that its something doctors recommend unnecessarily because they are unfamiliar with the uncircumcised penis? Is it a big conspiracy? :giggle: (That was a joke, in case anyone is humorless today.)

I've never had it recommended to me, but I DO know that many pedi's ARE unfamiliar with the uncirc'ed penis, and I think that's ridiculous. My son's first pedi tried to retract him at every visit even after I asked him not to. HELLO?? We moved a few months ago and I haven't even been brave enough to begin a new pedi. search...I'm weary of them.

FancifulFanny 06-21-2007 09:18 AM

I don't think there's that kind of push for it here. They asked us if we would be - phrasing it as our choice, and saying that my insurance probably would not cover it (though it did).
I'm sure there are drs that do expect it but people here are crunchier than a lot of places in the country so most people don;t think twice abuot whether someone has or hasn't, does or doesn't. I guess that why I don;t get it when people on the boards have these experiences, because they are so different from ours.

laytonsmama 06-21-2007 09:24 AM

My Dr. has NEVER reccomended that. And actually he is ALL FOR non-circ so I don't think he ever would. Bummer that your office is so unhelpful.

Not that I go by what they say but, the AAP (or is it APA?) actually does NOT reccomend circumsising boys. It says that there is no medical benefit. So, wouldn't a ped go with the rec. of the AAP?????????? I mean, they're all in that whole doctor/medicine/cult thingy!! (More humor)