Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   allergic reaction, need help! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170536)

3rockstars 06-21-2007 09:50 AM

allergic reaction, need help!

We went strawberry picking this morning and of course the kids ate more than they picked. My older daughter who's very sensitive to dyes and chemicals is now COVERED in an itchy blotchy hive-like rash from head to toe. It's those teeny tiny heat rash-like spots. It's definitely NOT heat rash because it's insanely itchy and began as soon as we walked out of the patch. We were there for an hour and a half and it started on her hands and feet so my guess is the pesticides that they are using. It's not an organic farm. I gave her benadryl and made her take a shower to get anything off her skin but I'm not sure what else to do. What do I do? Just watch it?

Bot Girl 06-21-2007 09:54 AM

Re: allergic reaction, need help!

:hugs: Sorry, mama - I'm no help. I'd be freaking out, and rushing to the pedi if my DD were covered in a rash. If you think it doesn't need a pedi's attention, however, you might want to try an oatmeal or epson salt bath. It might calm inflamation, and help her feel better/less itchy. Poor baby.

ClothDiaperingMama 06-21-2007 09:58 AM

If she is really itchy and miserable.. a trip to the peds office might be in order.:thumbsup: They can also verify what is going on with her. When I was little.. I too would get those type of rashes when I ate strawberries, tomatoes, and chocolate! Luckily I did outgrow it, but what I have learned recently about things that happen.. it is very important imo to be "safe than sorry". True food allergies can cause death as we have to carry an epi pen jr. around with us for ds. It could also be something her skin was touching.. I did that a lot as a child and still have those types of reactions for my allergies. Most aren't serious.. just annoying. If it were me, I would just take her in for a quick check and maybe they can give her some meds for itching. Calamine {Sp?} lotion works wonders too!:thumbsup:

Please let us know how it goes!:goodvibes:

3rockstars 06-21-2007 10:06 AM

Well she's almost 7(next month) and she's definitely had TONS of strawberries before(even 2 weeks ago) so I don't think it's a strawberry reaction. And she had life cereal and milk for breakfast and grapes on the way so i dont' think any of those are the cause. It's gotta be the strawberry picking. My thought was pesticides because they aren't organic and she's had strawberries before. I'm going to keep a watch on her and if she gets any worse I'll take her to the ER. Her pedi is 40 minutes away and Hasbro Children's Hospital is only 15. She doesn't seem to be getting worse or better at this point and it's a hour since she started reacting. I'm just nervous because this doesnt' happen often to her. She's more of a behavioral reaction type of kid.

momma2three 06-21-2007 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faerybugmady (Post 1321463)
Well she's almost 7(next month) and she's definitely had TONS of strawberries before(even 2 weeks ago) so I don't think it's a strawberry reaction. And she had life cereal and milk for breakfast and grapes on the way so i dont' think any of those are the cause. It's gotta be the strawberry picking. My thought was pesticides because they aren't organic and she's had strawberries before. I'm going to keep a watch on her and if she gets any worse I'll take her to the ER. Her pedi is 40 minutes away and Hasbro Children's Hospital is only 15. She doesn't seem to be getting worse or better at this point and it's a hour since she started reacting. I'm just nervous because this doesnt' happen often to her. She's more of a behavioral reaction type of kid.

My son had Honey Bunches of Oats for a year and a half before he ever had an allergic reaction to them and that was eating them once a week. Your body develops an allergy to things. Very rarely do you have a reaction the first time. I would not rule out the strawberries just yet! It could be something else, but it could also be the strawberries. Also, my son got hives all over his body. I took him to the ER and they gave him a steroid. He took that steroid there and we gave him another dose in the morning, but he was getting worse and it turned into anaphalytic shock, just as the ambulance showed up the steroids starting working better, but it was scary! My son was 3. He was tested by an allergist with 3 different types of tests for everything in that cereal and he is not allergic to anything, however, when he eats that cereal (we tried again per dr's recommendations) sure enough, hives! That was his favorite cereal! I shared this story because it can get worse and turn more serious without much warning and I would definitely call your ped to see if she needs a steroid and then I'd take her to the allergist and have her tested for strawberries (the food challenge way) If she has no reaction, then you will be pretty sure it's the pesticides and I'd call the farm to find it exactly which ones they were using, etc.

momma2three 06-21-2007 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faerybugmady (Post 1321364)
We went strawberry picking this morning and of course the kids ate more than they picked. My older daughter who's very sensitive to dyes and chemicals is now COVERED in an itchy blotchy hive-like rash from head to toe. It's those teeny tiny heat rash-like spots. It's definitely NOT heat rash because it's insanely itchy and began as soon as we walked out of the patch. We were there for an hour and a half and it started on her hands and feet so my guess is the pesticides that they are using. It's not an organic farm. I gave her benadryl and made her take a shower to get anything off her skin but I'm not sure what else to do. What do I do? Just watch it?

Also, what the allergist told me. If it were something she touched, she would only have it in that spot that she touched. It doesn't spread on the outside of the body. Now if she touched pesticides on her hands and touched her hands to different places on her body then you could get it in other places, but it's not likely she touched her entire body head to toe, KWIM? With all over rashes, it's usually more lotion, detergant..things that touch your whole body or a food allergy. Food & (oral) medication allergies show up everywhere.