Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Weaning from bottle HELP PLEASE (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17094)

LuAnn 06-24-2006 11:31 AM

Weaning from bottle HELP PLEASE

I am trying to wean ds off the bottle, but he seems to NOT want to take any cups if it has milk in it, water he will take a cup, unless hes tired. He will be 14months on the 1st of July and I want the bottle GONE SOON. Please give me ideas of how you weaned your dc. and at what age, because Im thinking/feeling he is getting to old for a bottle
Thanks
LuAnn

mamato5angels 06-24-2006 11:35 AM

Re: Weaning from bottle HELP PLEASE

I weaned my dd at 2 from her bottle. This will sound gross but it worked.

We let the bottle sit on the dresser for about 2 days. When it was good and curdled I let her smell it. She said it was yucky showed everyone in the house that is was yucky and threw it away all by herself.

Good luck to you on this task.

LuAnn 06-24-2006 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamato5angels
I weaned my dd at 2 from her bottle. This will sound gross but it worked.

We let the bottle sit on the dresser for about 2 days. When it was good and curdled I let her smell it. She said it was yucky showed everyone in the house that is was yucky and threw it away all by herself.

Good luck to you on this task.

I highly doubt this would work for us, ds wants to put everything in his mouth yet, and sometimes will spit it out if its yucky, other tiems we have to dig stuff out of his mouth yet,lol so there is no way I want to let him take a drink of curdled milk:yuck: but if he was older, humm that may work:)
Thanks
LuAnn

Bare Bottom Gear 06-24-2006 11:50 AM

You could do the first am bottle as usual then wait a bit and feed him cereal. Use cold milk in a sippy throughout the day and a reg. bottle at night before bed as usual.

After a day or two warm the Vit D milk up and put it in a sippy for the am bottle and pm bottle. He may not want it all but that's ok. Give him his cereal (or whatever he eats for breakfast) and offer the milk again. Then at night time replace the bottle with warm milk in a sippy and offer a snack or warm cereal again. (we used that infant stuff as a nice snack at bedtime)

Basically you want to slowly wean him off. Bottle as usual, sippy w/ cold milk, bottle as usual. Then after 2 days, Sippy w/warm milk, sippy w/cold milk, sippy with warm milk. Then you can change those am warm ones to colder ones as you go.

I hope that made sense. LOL I did this with my son. We had to find a sippy he liked and then change cups/bottles but keep what's inside them the same so he still got that "warm belly milk" feeling.

It's important to offer some other food with the milk feedings so he doesn't feel like he's not full.

ETA: They need that full belly feeling to feel comfortable. If you give him the warm milk and he doesn't drink it all then he'll be unhappy and want more. So, that's where the snack comes in (or the breakfast meal etc.)

LuAnn 06-24-2006 11:53 AM

We dont warm his bottles up:) he drinks them cold no matter the time of day/night. And I think I have just about every cup possible and he wont take to any of them unless he wants soem water through the dad, than its onlyu the take and toss kind

LuAnn

Bare Bottom Gear 06-24-2006 11:56 AM

Then maybe you need a cleaver "oh, these are broken and don't work anymore so we need to give them to the garbage man" or something like that.

Like with the pacifier and my ds we had to tell him they were broken and didnt' work so they had to be thrown away.

Another mama I know used Santa to throw the pacifier away. If she wanted Santa to visit the pacifiers had to be given to Santa to get the presents.

LuAnn 06-24-2006 01:07 PM

He doesnt understand that yet, he isnt quite 14months old.
Thanks
LuAnn

5tinytreasures 06-24-2006 06:56 PM

We only did water in the bottle after 12m then slowly lower the amount in them till no more bottle :thumbsup:

FitMommyOf2 06-25-2006 12:38 PM

LuAnn,
we're in the same boat; Mason does NOT want a sippy cup. He'd drink from a regular cup when I hold it for him, but only for a few sips.
I'm a lil' more relaxed about it as I let also DD wean herself off the bottle and she was ready for the sippy cups 100% at 18mo. They're still so young, but that's only my :2cents:

I've read in one of the parenting mags once that one could also cut of the tip of the nipples (at first only a little bit, then by the time larger) so that they basically develop a dislike for the bottle on their own, if that makes sense? :dunno:

GL

mommy2zander 06-25-2006 01:21 PM

I agree that they are still so young... I used to think the need for bottles ended at 12 monthes, but now I am still nursing my 2 yr old & have rethought that idea a lot... I think sometimes our society just wants to grow our babies up so fast!! But that's only my :2cents:, so only take it if it works for your family! :hugegrin:

Have you seen the nubby cups with the silicon sippy cup top... it is very similar to a bottle, but shaped like a cup, so it might work for a middle step... Good luck, I think taking away bottles & pacies is a very hard task for mama's choosing to use gentle parenting... :hugs: