Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Cows Milk? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1710)

OneFabMama 04-26-2006 10:35 PM

Cows Milk?

My DD is 11 months old, and she seems to be weaning off the boob (which is good, I didnt want to BF much past a year anyway).
So, I dont think she is getting enough milk from me through out the day. We nurse about 3-4 times in 24 hours and it's been literally for 10 seconds and she has lost interest completely. She drinks water, and sometimes juice during the day.
Ive given her rice milk as well.
I'm wondering if cows milk is okay at this age? I want her to feel full, especially before naps and bedtime and I know water and rice milk wont keep her full?
What do you think?

Bare Bottom Gear 04-26-2006 10:44 PM

Re: Cows Milk?

My dd was ready for sippy cups at 11 mos and I gave her Vit D. At 12 mos your are able to give them Vit D anyway (for the next year and then you can switch to 2%). I don't think it affected her in any way.

My ped said to make sure ds is getting 8-12 (I think...could be 16?? but that seems high) oz of vit D a day when he was 18 mos.

We gave him organic Yo Baby yogurt too and that helped with his milk intake. I don't know exactly when we started with that flavored organic yogurt though. LOL

ETA:
With Vit D peds say to start you just give them a tbsp of plain white yogurt (not low fat...it needs to be the highest fat % possible), cottage cheese and little sips of milk every now and again to prepare their bellies. I would do that first to make sure it doesn't cause any upset. Introducing milk is like introducing new foods. You want to give it to them once a day for 4 days and then watch for a reaction. I don't think we did that but we did give the yogurt, milk, cottage cheese to introduce it to him.

HTH!

OneFabMama 04-26-2006 11:00 PM

We've given her YoBaby, cottage cheese, other soft cheeses - she has had dairy.
She has had no reaction to those dairy items. I guess I'll just pick up some whole organic milk and offer her little bits. Thanks mama

Bare Bottom Gear 04-26-2006 11:02 PM

Oh yeah no problem. I am always attracted to these posts.....I love dishing info! As you may have noticed I tend to go on and on and on and on ..... LOL!

If she's had all that dairy she is good to go! Another new milestone!

Velvetpage 04-27-2006 10:50 AM

My doctor told me at 11 months that I could move her to whole milk, or mix it with formula for the two or three bottles she was getting (I breastfed pretty exclusively until eight months but then things happened and we dropped to two or three feedings per day and the rest formula.) We mixed for a few weeks, then switched to homo milk at one year, and she was fine.

OneFabMama 04-27-2006 11:38 AM

I tried doing the formula thing and she wanted nothing to do with it - which I guess is good. She hasnt had formula since she 9 weeks old? So, why give it to her now if she can handle the homo. milk?

Anyway, Im gonna pick some up today and see what happens with it. Thanks for the advice ladies

Lucky Child 04-27-2006 02:43 PM

I started bailey at 11 months with docs approval! :thumbsup:

OneFabMama 04-27-2006 02:47 PM

I picked some up at the store today, and came home and filled her sippy half way with it. She LOVES it. Drank it right up. Which is good. I'll just watch her closely the next couple of days and not introduce anything new.

I'm glad she likes it though, I'm happy that she will be getting more liquid then before. Her interest in nursing has gone down drastically in just 2 days.

So far so good. :thumbsup:

Bare Bottom Gear 04-27-2006 02:59 PM

Good to hear that! My ds was never a huge milk drinker. He liked it warm I guess so I had to put warm milk in his bottles for the first week or two so he'd adjust better. Then we started doing half cold and half warm bottles. Like a warm one in the am (gotta have a good morning feeding ya know?) and then cold at his night time one. After that week or two he was totally fine with the cold milk in the sippy but still never drank enough. That's why we used the Yo Baby. Just an easy way to supplement. He was not a fan of yogurt or cottage cheese (just like daddy!).

Hey, so glad we got our smilies back HUH? lol :ohyeah: :singdance: :nahnah: :poke:

LOVE THE POKE ONE! MAN, there are a ton on the more list!!!

Bare Bottom Gear 04-27-2006 03:02 PM

I added more smilies....HOW FUN!