Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   anyone seen a neurologist?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17129)

SandyG 06-24-2006 02:26 PM

anyone seen a neurologist??

just wondering what is going to happen at our appt.
finally yesterday i was able to see david pcm and she gaves us the referral for the neurologist (if you dont know, david has apraxia and cannot put words together. more than 2 syllable words is very hard for him).
just wanna be prepared, thanks!
off i go, need to get ready for church

CMamma 06-24-2006 02:29 PM

Re: anyone seen a neurologist??

I have seen one before MANY times... I have epilepsy though so totally different reason.

I'll be watching this thread though b/c DS#1 is going to see one soon... but for a behavior related issue but they think that something in his brain isn't working right.

iris0110 06-24-2006 05:43 PM

We took Kearnan to a Pediatric neurologist at the very begining of trying to figure out what was going on with him. IT was alot like any other Dr visit. They weighed and measured him, and then the Dr. talked to us and tried to kind of asses what was going on with Kearnan. At the time Kearnan was only a little over 2 and wasn't terribly helpful. It may be a bit different with an older child. Mostly he just asked dh and I alot of questions. He then decided that Kearnan needed some testing and set us up for those. Kearnan has had an MRI, ABR, EEG, and every urine and blood analysis available. Everything came back normally and we never saw the neurologist again.

geckoed 06-24-2006 07:53 PM

we have. When DS#1 was 22 months and had lost speech etc. They weighed him etc. Then the Dr came in and checked reflexes, shook toys at hoim, gaged eye contact, looked at balance, tried to talk to him, tried to get him to point, tried to get him to mimic animal and car sounds. They scheduled an EEG and a BAERS (hearing test). As he grew he's been reevaluated. Less toy shaking, more conversation, asking him to follow directions and so on. Touch your nose with your eyes closed, hop on one foot things too. They ask him now to remember a series of words/pictures, and other unusual things. It always takes forever to get in, we wait for ages, we see the doc for 10-20 minutes and go home and wait 2 weeks for "the report"
But DS #1 has autism.

DS#3 has seizures and other issues so he gets EEGS and developmental screenings every 2-3 months.

SandyG 06-25-2006 07:26 PM

:headscratch: idont think david has autism, he has his quirks but idunno.
well thanks for the info though i appreciate it!

Fullhouse 06-25-2006 07:31 PM

With Jonah, also slow to speak and not quite "normal", she did reflexes, history, then ordered blood tests. That was it. She also asked about st.

SugarBunsWool&More 06-25-2006 07:34 PM

We went to go see one for DS. He has muscle wasting and they thought that he has muscular dystrophy but he doesn't (yay) but we were very concerned when we went to see the neurologist.
I think these Dr's traded in their personalities when they got their diplomas so just be prepared for that.
Otherwise, they're like normal Dr's. Except when you make nervous jokes like we do, we like to hear a sympathy chuckle at least for the Dr. From the neurologist, we just heard a "hmmmm" and then the deafening roar of silence. :laugh:
Good luck!!