Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Can a prefold go bad? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17131)

Little Bear Momma 06-24-2006 03:26 PM

Can a prefold go bad?

Ok...this may sound like a silly question, but my mom handed me down 6 dozen cpf's when Emma was born. I had intended to cloth diaper, but was uneducated about it, and had some major recovery problems, so they went unused...except for burp rags and mini-blankets. Anyhoo...my question is this...these are almost 33 years old, and went through 3 kids. They were "premium" at the time and are still in pretty darn good shape. A few frays here and there, but soft, soft, soft and pretty easy to work with. (I've used a snappi and a prowrap with Emma a handfull of times, and they're too small for her, but get the job done.) Can they be used with my new baby due this winter? Is there some real superiority to new ones? I don't want to bang my head against a wall making diapering harder than it needs to be, but I don't want to buy all new if there's no real reason to. Thanks in advance for your opinions! :thumbsup:

Smiles~Monica

BambooMama 06-24-2006 03:39 PM

Re: Can a prefold go bad?

i don't know much about how long-lasting prefolds can be, but it sounds like you lucked out (lots of free, soft diapers)! i'd hang on to them and give them a shot before making any final judgement. i'd guess that they'd just be REALLY soft and awesome, but i really have no clue. :)

MamaLove 06-24-2006 04:07 PM

All of my unbleached ones seem like they could last through 10 kids! But, I have gotten a few that were bleached, and they already have holes and signs of wear in them, so I suggest not bleaching them. Premiums usually fit 15-25 lbs or so, so they'd be big on a newborn, but will fit for a long time. Congrats for cloth diapering! It gets easier!

raceNzanesmom 06-24-2006 04:10 PM

I have some Curity diapers that are pretty old, 10+ years or more, and they still work fine. The thing you need to know is are they all cotton. If they have poly in the middle they won't hold for nothing. If they're all cotton I'd go for it. The Curity ones I have are thinner in the middle than a cpf, but worked great when Zane was little, not near as bulky. I say if you have six dozen GO FOR IT!

Merisong 06-24-2006 04:31 PM

I have a dozen or so flats from when my MIL cd my husband (almost 30 years now) and they are softer, more absorbant and bigger than any I have found to buy so far (not that I am shopping for MORE flats) only one has a minor wear hole. And interestingly they have "fold" line guides WOVEN into them!! I WISH modern flats had that! It is really really neat!

I would suggest going ahead and using them until you start to notice that the snappi rips more.. and the fabric doesnt "recover" in the wash. Most likely at that point the fabric is starting to dry rot... It is also entirely possible to combine 1-2 together to make one again and really extend the life if you can sew a straight seam or know someone that can. I would NOT ever use bleach. I would also try to not OVER dry them.. as in leaving in the hot dryer well past when they are dry. With my variety of CD styles I use, I find this is VERY easy to do - often I try to remember to pull my flats out after 10-15 min. and let them finish on a drying rack because my Kissaluvs take much longer and my flats get baked if they stay the whole time until the Kissas are completely dry.

HTH!! :)

Cindy