Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Sleeping through the night? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17274)

FitMommyOf2 06-25-2006 07:31 AM

Sleeping through the night?

Does your DC sleep through the night? When did he/she start?

I'm asking b/c I'm slowly really getting frustrated w/Mason.. He had a short period of time around 4 months where he'd sleep from 10pm-5am straight through (going to bed at 7pm and waking up at 10pm for the last bottle). Then the teething started and he got really sick aswell and ever since then he only slept through maybe 3 nights, that's it!
Right now he goes to bed at 7pm, gets a bottle at 10pm but then wakes up around 2-3x; at 1am, 3:30am and 5:30 am and often doesn't go back to sleep after the last waking.
He sleeps 2hrs for his first nap at 9am-11am and then his next nap is for another 1hr at 2pm-3pm.

Em never had any probs w/sleeping. She slept 12hrs through since she's 6 mo. old! I even changed her dipes at night and she wouldn't even move! Mason on the other hand wakes up at every tiny noise!

Compared to Mason, Em was also always a good eater (for a better word instead of 'little porker' LOL). Mason is a picky eater, hardly wants solid food but prefers his whole milk he's getting since about 1 month now after smashing the formula bottle out of my hands..
The frustrating thing though is, when I offer him milk at night, often he'd only drink 2-3oz...

So, share with me how it was with your kids and if you have any hints, please share with me!
I know, there are worse things out there than having a kid waking up at night.. (and thankfully he never throws a fit when I put him back) but I'm just exhausted and would like to get at least a 6hr stretch of sleep again after 1 year, kwim?

Please heeeeelp!

wbkt8 06-25-2006 07:52 AM

Re: Sleeping through the night?

ummm....well DD will be 2 in September and every once in awhile now we'll have nights where she doesn't wake up between midnightish (when i come to bed) and 7 or 8 am. we cosleep so it's all a little hazy but i think we're starting to get some longer stretches now. but this is a very recent thing and it's certainly not all the time.

she's also still nursing so i can't really address the bottle thing, but a lot of her nightwakings she's barely awake and just needs a little nursing to go back to sleep (like less than 5 minutes). it was that way for along time - unless she was sick or teething or something. then she comfort nurses for a long time.

:hugs:

hungrytree 06-25-2006 08:10 AM

:popcorn:
waiting to see all the great advice!

Cinnamommy 06-25-2006 08:33 AM

Sounds like you had my first child second. My kids are almost 5 years apart because my first was so high needs that I was unable to even consider mothering a second child until she was almost 4. She was up for literally hours a night every night until she was 2 1/2. She didn't wean until she was 3 1/2 and we coslept most of the night in my bed until then so even when she started sleeping more, she was still up nursing 2-3 times a night until she weaned. She's going to be 5 in a couple weeks and still wakes at night and needs company to go back to sleep about 5 times a week (dh sleeps in a full bed with her half the night on those nights). She's slowly but surely starting to sleep all night alone though.

My new baby (10 weeks) sleeps from sun down until 8-9 am only waking to "sleepy snack" nurse 1-3 times. She sleeps for 6+ hour stretches, falls asleep on her own at night and for naps and is a generally very peaceful and happy child. She also will take a bottle of EBM and let me have a few hours alone here and there which dd #1 NEVER did and I wasn't away from her for more than 2 hours until she was 18 months old. I told dh we should start calling dd #2 "Day" because our kids are like night and day. I was so ready to do it all over again too -- the nursing for hours on end, the sleepless nights, the frantic calls to my therapist (lol I wish I was kidding about that one). What a wonderful surprise my baby has been!!

So I'm sorry to say that I think it's just the child's disposition and it's very hard to change without pushing them hard and thus changing who they are in other ways. We tried so many things to help my dd sleep better. Eventually we just developed coping skills and lived with it because we weren't willing to CIO. If I could go back I wouldn't do it any differently (but oh man, I don't want to go back). I'm sorry I'm not of more help with this. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone.

wbkt8 06-25-2006 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinnamommy
So I'm sorry to say that I think it's just the child's disposition and it's very hard to change without pushing them hard and thus changing who they are in other ways. We tried so many things to help my dd sleep better. Eventually we just developed coping skills and lived with it because we weren't willing to CIO. If I could go back I wouldn't do it any differently (but oh man, I don't want to go back). I'm sorry I'm not of more help with this. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone.

I agree with this a lot - even though DD's sleeping patterns aren't as challenging as what you faced. I had a lot of frustration until I realized that it was easier to change me & my expectations/responses than it was to change her (esp. b/c I was opposed to doing any sleep training/CIO/etc.).

FitMommyOf2 06-25-2006 10:30 AM

Thank you for all your replies, mamas!
I think the really frustrating part for me is that I know he's able to sleep completely through, kwim?
When he didn't sleep in long stretches, I just thought he's a hungry lil' man needing his food... but now that has certainly changed and I was wondering if there's a connection between not enough food during the day and frequent wakings at night..

I def. wouldn't consider letting him CIO; the only thing I was thinking about doing is maybe switching the milk to water at night (at least if he wakes every 2hrs) in order to see if it's more thirst than 'hunger' since he never drinks more than 2-3oz in one 'sitting' anymore.. I know the nights where he did sleep through, he drank more (like 6oz) ---- I think...:headscratch:

jls~Kain~Drake 06-25-2006 10:31 AM

Just going to chime in that I have no great advice either....ds2 is 10 mo and still night waking A LOT. 2 diff. peds tell me I need to CIO...but he's HN and 1) cio won't work, 2) i'm not willing to try it. I do honestly believe that it's a personality thing...and I do think that he's got something waking him (he sleep crawls...i think he's somewhat of an insomniac, etc) I would LOOOOOVE even 2 or 3 hrs of uninterupted sleep.....but unfortunately, I've just gotten used to getting up so much and I'm not really bothered by it TOO much (until the morning when I'm exhausted)...but I just deal :( I wish there was something magical we could do, but I'm not aware of anything! I'll be keeping an eye on the post and I hope you get some GREAT advice!!!

FitMommyOf2 06-25-2006 10:43 AM

Jen,
:hugs: for you.

One mom was suggesting that he maybe naps too much and that I'd try to cut his naps down to one at mid day. I'm not sure if that'd be the reason..
When he was a few months younger I know it would be the opposite case; no good naps -no good sleep at night; good naps at night (2.5-3hrs) good sleep. I'm not sure if he's 'ready' for only 1 nap w/almost 1 yr.:headscratch:

The only thing that would speak against this 'theory' for us is the fact that just a few nights ago he slept for good 8hrs through and he napped just like he always does. Since I don't have a 'log', of course I can't say it w/certainty for how long exactly he napped, but I know he did, kwim? :dunno:

Sometimes I wonder if I'm driving myself nuts w/trying to analize him and his whole pattern..:lostit:

SugarBunsWool&More 06-25-2006 10:55 AM

My DS ws up every 2 hours last night. :banghead:
I'm pooped. Usually it isn't quite that bad but he doesn't sleep through the night yet. The best I can get is waking up once at about 12/1 am which I am totally fine with! He usually goes down at about 7 or 8 and then back up for the morning at like 7.
My Ped told me to let him CIO, which I declined. I don't believe in that.
So. we're waiting to see when DS will sleep through on his own.
I feel your pain. :hugs:

CDCMama 06-25-2006 10:57 AM

my ds sleep s through the night, he is 2 months old, he goes down about 9, wakes SOMETIMES about 5, then again around 8 last night, he went down about 8:30, and I woke him at 5:30 cause I was hurting, then he slept till almost 8..