Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Can a Hospital force you to give a bottle? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17431)

mommypooh 06-25-2006 08:15 PM

Can a Hospital force you to give a bottle?

I have a friend who lives about 3 hours away from me. She had her first just after I had mine. Well when she was in the hospital she tried to BF him and the hospital said there policy was that moms could breastfeed but after every feeding had to give a bottle of formula. Well that sealed her fate to never be able to nurse as he turned up his nose and would not take the breast at all. 6 weeks later she had totally given up and stopped pumping. Well fast forward 11 months later when she had her 2nd child in the same hospital she refused to even try to nurse because she "knew" she would fail. I tried to tell her they can't force you to give the baby a bottle and she said there was not a choice. Well I finally gave up argueing with her. I just want to know if there is a choice or if the hospital can really make that choice.

The hospital said they made that rule because one mom was claiming to be nursing and never fed her baby and the baby died.

stephdpn 06-25-2006 08:20 PM

Re: Can a Hospital force you to give a bottle?

That's insanity and a bunch of BS...if ANYONE had tried to MAKE me give my child a bottle, I would have marched my happy butt right out of there...I have NEVER heard of such a thing!

Ben'sMom 06-25-2006 08:22 PM

I have never heard of anything like that. I highly doubt the hospital can force you to use formula or a bottle. I don't think they can force you to do anything you don't want to do in general. I know when I was in there a few months ago I was asked to record the times I BF and all the dirty diapers, but it was never questioned or even mentioned.

CMamma 06-25-2006 08:25 PM

OH MY! That's just BS!!!

This last time the hospital was great... they aren't even supported by a formula company and are so pro BF. But the last hospital where I had DS#1! OH NO they were always trying to "guilt" us into formula feeding.

I think they wouldn't be able to force that... sounds like even lawsuit potential to me - interfering w/the bond between mom & child or whatever... something! I think a lot of mammas do FF b/c they are guilted into it/don't know any better/they hear the BS about oh baby will starve to death b/c you're not giving him enough.

kittykorat 06-25-2006 08:31 PM

hospitals often push formula, but if anyone told me I HAD to give my son formula- I think I would cause a serious ruckus, call the LLL, schedule a nurse in, call the papers, etc.

mommypooh 06-25-2006 08:34 PM

She doesn't even think anything is wrong with it. To her it is the hospitals policy. I can't believe she would still be so narrow sighted after 2 kids. I just feel horrible that I couldn't do more for her to help her. She just felt after the first time it was not worth it to even try once to give her baby the first colostrum. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy for thinking a hospital can't really do that. I wish she would stand up and say that is wrong and at least threaten them with a lawsuit. I don't know. The other thing that bothers me is her 2 younger sisters now don't know if they will even try because to them it just didn't work out for their sister so to them it isn't going to work for them. I am just so mad right now.

foofoomomma 06-25-2006 09:01 PM

OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! That is SO WRONG!!! Id sue their a$$es if they ever tried to do that to me...what a LOAD! It angers me to even think about it...I mean geez dont they have LC's there. Is it a small community type place or what? That is bizarre!

foofoomomma 06-25-2006 09:03 PM

mommypooh I just read about the sisters....if they are/get prego Please get them information IE books & booklets...maybe even a tape or two. T

CMamma 06-25-2006 09:05 PM

I know this sounds stupid but I wish it was me having a baby there... OMG they'd never force a bottle again. I don't just get mad... oh man I'd made them regret it!

mommypooh 06-25-2006 09:29 PM

It is in ohio. it is somewhere in or near Stubenville. I don't know the name. I am actually closer to the girls middle sister and have never met teh youngest. I plan to buy all kinds of books and other educational material as well as make a list of great on line resources and such to hlep them. I just hope they move away from there and to somewhere that is somewhat supportive of BF.