Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Diaper change -stress time! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1751)

FitMommyOf2 04-27-2006 08:02 AM

Diaper change -stress time!

Does anyone else's DC also wiggle so horribly during the diaper change!? Geez, Mason started this a few days ago and by now it almost takes me 5 mins to get a new dipe on him as he's twisting and turning (trying to flip on his tummy and wants to start crawling), I'd need 3 ppl to hold him down to being able to close the dipe on him! :lostit:
And that little devil knows what he's doing as he starts giggling as soon as he turns and I say "Mason, no, let Mommy put on the diaper!"

Anyone else in this boat with me?:laugh:

wbkt8 04-27-2006 08:33 AM

Re: Diaper change -stress time!

sad to say that it started for us around a year and has gotten progressively worse. she gets really upset a lot of times if you try to lay her down for a diaper change. and of course as she's gotten more mobile it gets even harder to get a diaper on her. distraction, distraction, distraction is my main advice.

my big problem is that it frustrates me and then when she started physically resisting me if flips one of those switches in me and i really have a hard time not getting angry about it.

katie

Knittress 04-27-2006 08:50 AM

Raises hand.

littleways 04-27-2006 09:21 AM

md dd is only 5 months and it's already started with her feet and twisting around - my one godson you can't change him unless he wants to be he just rolls, cries, runs, he won't let you change him till he's good and ready.

Renee920 04-27-2006 09:29 AM

Josh did this for a while. What helped us was putting some Sesame Street pictures on the wall above the changing table. Then when he started wiggling I would ask "Where's Elmo?" or "Can you find Ernie?" and he would stop and stare at the pictures long enough for me to get a dipe on him.

HTH!

vick 04-27-2006 09:48 AM

Isabel does this ... she used to love changing table time, and would lie there for 15-20 minutes if you let her. Now she's on. the. go. Can't be bothered to lie there without flipping.

I started keeping a bunch of crap on the table to I could distract her with toys. I have a couple childproof pill bottles that I put a handful of dried lentils or beans in for shakey sounds, and a few small plastic jars with her butt balm and shea butter that she can hold in one hand and smash against each other.

Sometimes I hafta give her the nasal aspirator or the tube of Burt's Bees dipare cream, and those are a little dangerous, but anything to keep her lying there long enough for a diaper change!!

FitMommyOf2 04-27-2006 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbkt8
my big problem is that it frustrates me and then when she started physically resisting me if flips one of those switches in me and i really have a hard time not getting angry about it.

Same here!!!

I'm glad, I'm not alone with this though, eventhough it doesn't change anything. :lostit:

I already try to distract him w/lots of stuff, giving him his baby hairbrush etc., but I probably really have to find something more interesting. (Vick, I like your idea about the dried lentils/beans in child proof lil jars! I'll have to do that!)

Kele 04-27-2006 01:37 PM

Rachel hates having her dipe changed. She generally screams and tries to escape! I ask dh or my 3 yr old to help distract her.

FitMommyOf2 04-27-2006 04:56 PM

Guess it's an age thing, huh?

MamaLove 04-27-2006 05:20 PM

Yeah, as soon as he could move, my ds tries to make diaper changes very challenging. I found the helpful trick to be letting him play with something that he never gets to play with, like the flashlight or my watch, but I've had the best success with a harmonica! I play it for a bit while I get everything ready, lay him down and give it to him right in time for the change. It works great!:thumbsup: