Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Cow milk vs Formula (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17532)

jls~Kain~Drake 06-26-2006 10:38 AM

Cow milk vs Formula

So, long story short...my children have been formula fed (except for the first few weeks). With that said, it's my understanding that when your child hits the 12mo mark, it's cow milk from there on out. This is what I did with my first, but I was an ignorant first time mother being directed by my psychotic MIL and majorly mainstream peds. I feel a tad more educated this time around with my 2nd and have definitely done things differently than I did with my first. I very much wish that I was breastfeeding....and would do extended breastfeeding if I were. So, why is it that they're magically ready for cows milk when the clock hits 12:01a on their 1st bday?

My first made the transition without any problems. He was an easy baby in all respects. He was a large baby (not at birth, but grew fast!) and my ped told me (and for some reason I trusted him?) that because he was so big, he'd probably need solids earlier than the usually advised 4months...so i was to start (mostly familiarizing with the spoon) at 2 mo... :yuck: Ok, I now realize how stupid that was....he didn't suffer for it, but it definitely wasn't necessary! My 2nd hasn't been nearly as easy. He didn't want any baby food until about 6 mo (which it didn't bother me, I didn't figure he'd start baby food until 9-10mo)...so he got into a regular routine with baby food...then he got sick and refused baby food until about 8 mo...didn't care for it much and went straight for table food....also when he got sick,he couldn't stomach the regular formula and had to go on alimentum. Recently he started having issues again and I switched his formula back to regular one and voila he's ok. Under the assumption that it's necessary to switch him to cow milk at 12 mo, I've been trying to introduce a little bit of cow milk every once in awhile in a sippy cup..and I finally put together today....that THAT is (probably) what's causing this projectile vomitting he's been doing.

So I guess for those of you who ff, when do you switch to cow milk? Would it be his age that's causing the vomiting or do you suppose he's got an intolerance that is somehow not showing with formula? What are my options regarding cow milk and the alternatives? I'm completely ignorant regarding the issue. Why is 12 mo the magic day that makes it ok to switch?

I'm so confused.... :blush: :blush: :cry: :cry: :cry: :banghead: :banghead:

kimb96 06-26-2006 10:49 AM

Re: Cow milk vs Formula (dunno if this is in the right place)

My ds was on alimentum until he was 17 months old. From there we switched him to soy milk as he has a milk allergy. IMO, you shouldn't switch from formula to any kind of milk until they are eating enough solids to meet their nutritional needs. We kept ds on the formula because he wasn't eating enough to meet all his caloric needs. It sounds like your ds is having issues with milk. I would stick with the formula for now. He may be ready in a couple of months.

SheilaJoy 06-26-2006 11:45 AM

I think the goal is basically to get as close to a year as possible, and what better time to switch than when the baby turns a year? The naturopath I went to, though, said that babies often aren't ready for cow's milk at 1 year and to start off with goat's milk instead.

myajdw 06-26-2006 12:21 PM

i wouldn't change yet either. with both of mine they weren't "off" formula until about 18 months and even then still recieved a sippy cup of it (the stage 2 formulas) about 3 times a day mixed with some milk.
my first ds was on nutramingen and we started off with rice milk then slowly went to lactaid...by slowly i mean like 4 to 6 months lol.
second ds we never tried regular milk just went straight to lactaid as well and again it took us about 4 to 6 months.
when we switch we do it as gradually as possible...like a half ounce at a time with WEEKS in between.
oh if wic only knew how we did it and that they weren't switched at a year lol. i think they push it way too fast IMO and i don't think any child is ready at exactly a year...just seems to young to me but that's just my opinion. (another words i'm not asking for any other mama to chew me for that b/c their dc was changed over at a year! i don't look badly at you, it's just my opinion!)

Five Green Beans 06-26-2006 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiveblessings
I think the goal is basically to get as close to a year as possible, and what better time to switch than when the baby turns a year? The naturopath I went to, though, said that babies often aren't ready for cow's milk at 1 year and to start off with goat's milk instead.

I agree, though im nursing if I choose to give her any time of milk other them mine it would be goats first.

Okiemunchkinsmom 06-26-2006 12:43 PM

I always keep them on formula until they are 14-16 mo, and then switch to enriched rice milk, or goats milk slowly. I start giving them little bits of cow's milk (like on cereal), but they don't actually drink a cup of it until they are 20 mo or older. By that time they are usually eating really well and milk is just a drink and not a food, if that makes any sense. I have yet to have ANY of my children, bio/adopted/foster, be ready for cow's milk at 12 mo.

FitMommyOf2 06-26-2006 12:59 PM

DS started smashing the formula bottle out of my hands a few wks ago (he was ~10.5 mo old at that time) and after asking the nutritionist from WIC (she said it'd be fine if he wouldn't have any probs like spitting up etc) I gave him whole milk which he seems to love! I too asked about the 1 yr 'rule' and she said it's mainly thought as a 'guideline', same goes for honey for ex. (though I'm not giving DS any) re botulism when giving b4 1 year.

DS isn't a very good eater (eventhough you'd probably never guess by his size :giggle:) and right now he still needs a lot of milk to compensate a lil' the lack of solid food.

Sorry I'm no real help here, mama! :blush: :hugs:

SheilaJoy 06-26-2006 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FitMommyOf2
DS started smashing the formula bottle out of my hands a few wks ago (he was ~10.5 mo old at that time) and after asking the nutritionist from WIC (she said it'd be fine if he wouldn't have any probs like spitting up etc) I gave him whole milk which he seems to love! I too asked about the 1 yr 'rule' and she said it's mainly thought as a 'guideline', same goes for honey for ex. (though I'm not giving DS any) re botulism when giving b4 1 year.

DS isn't a very good eater (eventhough you'd probably never guess by his size :giggle:) and right now he still needs a lot of milk to compensate a lil' the lack of solid food.

Sorry I'm no real help here, mama! :blush: :hugs:

Actually, honey can cause botulism in children under 2 yrs, not 1.

Cadensmommy 06-26-2006 01:17 PM

I breast feed till one year and then used the 2step fornula for older babys and my son did great on it! he was still getting all the nutrients and was getting the dha ara so if my next baby weans like he did I will do the same again till the 2 year then cows milk worked for us!

Clarissa

lindsayncadence 06-26-2006 01:25 PM

Cadence was on similac till about a year when i switched and she did great with milk for about three months...she wasnt gaining enough weight and her dr wanted me to give her more dairy products to get her fat? well now she cant have milk bc she gets the runs...dumb dr she is now on a soy pediatric drink and we limit all dairy she can have about one serving a day before it catches up to her next time i plan on bf till the child weans itself