Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   long car trip and nursing? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17538)

blondeviolin 06-26-2006 10:54 AM

long car trip and nursing?

We're heading to Denver for the weekend (my husband has five days off :goodvibes:). It's a 11-12 hr car trip with just him and I, but now we add in Abby. :lostit: During the day she goes about 3-3.5hrs between feedings, but between 6-7 and 10-11 she wants to nurse almost constantly. At least she's not screaming and won't take anything, though. :giggle: Anyway...I think we're planning on leaving Friday morning and The Husband usually likes to drive the whole way (he's crazy, I know). So are we just gonna' have to stop every so often to nurse? Is there some insane way to dangle the boob over her seat? And what if we run into her fussy/nursing-all-the-time time? I do have a pump...but I'm not a fan of pumping because then I produce more milk than I need, kwim? I'd much rather nurse her because it's better for both of us, I don't run into having too much milk later on, and we got Mommy/daughter time.

Tips from you experienced mommies? She'll be a month on Thursday.

bfoster2000 06-26-2006 11:02 AM

Re: long car trip and nursing?

I'd say you're probably going to have to plan to stop along the way to nurse. At that age, she'll probably need her diaper changed just about every time she eats too, right? I have heard of people leaning over the carseat to nurse but it's not very safe for either of you so I definitely wouldn't recommend it. Good luck...sounds like a fun trip!

wbkt8 06-26-2006 11:06 AM

at that age i think you'll find a couple of things

1)unless you're unlucky - the carseat/moving car is still magic and she'll likely sleep quite a bit

2)you CAN dangle over the carseat but at that age you'll likely find that it's really hard to get in a position that's easy for her to nurse in - so i would just stop every so often for a diaper change/feeding.

3)you'll also likely find that you may have some trouble with engorgement if you go longer than normal/she doesn't eat quite as well as usual. i also found that dd tended to make up for it at night (lots of night time nursing)

believe it or not it's actually easier to travel with a little baby than with a slightly older one. but you also need to be prepared for it to take a lot longer to get there than it would with just the two of you. i probably would try to do it in two days, but that might not be a possibility considering you only have a short time off.

oh yeah, and at that age, i sat in the backseat with her the whole time so i could see her (what she needed), entertain her, check her diaper easily, etc.

betty_joanne 06-27-2006 03:21 PM

Just did this with 8.5 month old-from texas to florida and then 3 days later back again.
Stop every 3 hours for a diaper change, feeding and do get her out of the carseat for 10-20 minutes and moving around.
Mine slept most of the trip. The car vibrations put her to sleep.
At rest stops we would find a grassy area,put down a blanket and let her crawl/roll around a bit and stretch.

ChurchPunkMom 06-27-2006 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfoster2000
I'd say you're probably going to have to plan to stop along the way to nurse. At that age, she'll probably need her diaper changed just about every time she eats too, right? I have heard of people leaning over the carseat to nurse but it's not very safe for either of you so I definitely wouldn't recommend it. Good luck...sounds like a fun trip!

:yeahthat:

MamaLove 06-27-2006 04:00 PM

I definately recommend not dangling over and nursing while in the carseat. I did this and now my 21 month old associates the carseat with nursing and always asks and cries for it (I did it a lot to keep him from fussing). Now I'm dealing with weaning him from nursing in the car. Plus, it is not very safe.

Have a fun trip! :celebrate:

jjaelovesenglish 06-27-2006 04:25 PM

We did a 16 hour drive (in 2 days) with our DD when she was 3 1/2 months old. We scheduled time to stop along the way, such as stopping at a restraunt and spending time, relaxing, nursing, and just changing the diaper. Believe it or not, it turned out to be a more pleasant trip, because we did plan stops to nurse and such.
She did sleep a lot, but we still stopped to nurse (Even when we thought she wouldn't wake up) she still nursed in her sleep. If it is planned, you should have an easy going trip.
Oh, we also planned gas fill up, eatting, nursing, changing and our using the restroom all in the same stop so it worked out great.

Bare Bottom Gear 06-27-2006 04:32 PM

I am leaving Denver to go to IA (11 hours) Friday morning as well. I have a 2 3/4yo and I do not look forward to it (not bf'ing obviously). I think you have an easier job ahead of you than I do! LOL

I agree with the ppl above. Stops are a must. We traveled when ds was 5 wks old and had to stop lots to do diapers and for him to eat. Plus, I got to go pee (yeah, still peeing a lot) and got to stretch my legs.

It's an adjustment that you'll have to make now that you have a kiddo! ;)

SheilaJoy 06-27-2006 05:02 PM

I'm getting ready to go through the same thing. We're going from Seattle to Fresno, CA on vacation, it's about a 16 hour drive straight through. Taking two days is not an option for us because 5 kids in one motel room is not possible. Two motel rooms is not affordable.
Really, I don't know what we're going to do, start early and drive late I guess. Bringing a blanket and stretching out on the grass at rest stops definitely sounds like a nice idea though.