Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Need some imput please on napping..... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17631)

lovemygirls 06-26-2006 03:06 PM

Need some imput please on napping.....

how in the world do I get Maddy to take a nap? She'll only fall asleep if I'm holding her. Once she's asleep I try and put her down in her crib and she just wakes up screaming (because I'm not holding her).

I'm also having a real rough time at night too...she goes down once I have her asleep she'll stay sleeping in her crib for about an hour or so and then she gets up and ends up in bed with me. How in the world am I supose to get her to sleep in her crib....I've tried co-sleeping and I'm not getting ANY sleep whatsoever so I'm at my wits end right now....and I really need some advice please. tia!!

lovemygirls 06-26-2006 04:25 PM

Re: Need some imput please on napping.....

anybody? please?

lovemybabies 06-26-2006 04:35 PM

With my DD I did modified CIO. I put her in the crib, then went in at 1 min, 2 min, etc. It took a few nights but she did good. Now the only place she will sleep is her crib or carseat.

Good Luck.

Irishmommy 06-26-2006 04:38 PM

I wish I had some sage advice for you; but I really don't. I guess you just have to find what works for you. I say carry your dd in a carrier to nap, that way you can get things done too. I opted for my dd sleeping on a futon in her room, instead of a crib. She slept fine once in her crib; but it was just the putting her down in the crib that was a problem. If she woke up I would have to sit by the crib and pat her back until she fell asleep or nurse her again. Now I just lay down on her futon with her and then just get up and leave when she's done nursing. She sleeps most of the night and we both get better sleep that way. If I have to go in to her in the middle of the night, I just lie down with her/nurse her and then leave again when she is finished. I'm not sure that helped you; but that is what works for us. You could also do the same thing with a mattress on the floor. Oh, and :hugs: because I know how frustrating it can be to loose sleep.

rebeccah5 06-26-2006 04:38 PM

The toughest nights I remember with DD were those weeks when she went through that. I read that book, The No-Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley I believe, and it had pretty good advice in it. The best tip I remember was to pick them up to calm them down, then lay them back in the bed, patting them or whatever until they go to sleep. It was horrible those first few nights, I felt like I got NO sleep myself, but it eventually worked.

I also have to say that if you're sleep-deprived yourself, I'd try to get someone (your mother or sister or even DH) to "be your nanny" for a night so you can get some sleep yourself. I could handle an all-nighter with DD if I was running off more than 30 minutes of sleep myself. Thankfully, I have a super supportive mom and husband. When I was going through PPD with DD and at my wits' end, my mom kept DD for me in another bedroom so I could rest, and she brought her in to me for feedings. It didn't solve the sleep problem with DD, but it refreshed me somewhat.

:hugs:

Irishmommy 06-26-2006 04:39 PM

Oh, my method is a no CIO method. Just FYI...

Lucky Child 06-26-2006 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irishmommy
I wish I had some sage advice for you; but I really don't. I guess you just have to find what works for you. I say carry your dd in a carrier to nap, that way you can get things done too. I opted for my dd sleeping on a futon in her room, instead of a crib. She slept fine once in her crib; but it was just the putting her down in the crib that was a problem. If she woke up I would have to sit by the crib and pat her back until she fell asleep or nurse her again. Now I just lay down on her futon with her and then just get up and leave when she's done nursing. She sleeps most of the night and we both get better sleep that way. If I have to go in to her in the middle of the night, I just lie down with her/nurse her and then leave again when she is finished. I'm not sure that helped you; but that is what works for us. You could also do the same thing with a mattress on the floor. Oh, and :hugs: because I know how frustrating it can be to loose sleep.

Shannon, that's a great idea I think! Ginger maybe you could try something like this? I don't know if it's feasible or not in your situation, but even having her sleep on an airmatterss on teh floor in your room... maybe she just doesn't like waking up in her crib?

Irishmommy 06-26-2006 04:42 PM

OH, and my dd doesn't really nap during the day, maybe 45min to an hour. So, she is SUPER TIRED at night. It certainly isn't my choice for her not to nap; but she just won't have any of it. I think that is part of the reason she sleeps through the night.

SandyG 06-26-2006 04:50 PM

get pantleys book,it might help you out .

frawwgwithtadpoles 06-26-2006 05:00 PM

Hey mama! So sorry you are having a tough time! :hugs: I don't have any advice about sleeping in a crib-we cosleep. It was the only way I could get any sleep! Both my kids were like yours...they loved to sleep in my arms and work up the minute I tried to put them down. I finally started lying down with them and nursing them to sleep. When they were soundly asleep, I slipped out of the bed. Of course, sometimes I had to try 2 or 3 (or 4) times before I could get up without waking them. I don't know if that helps, but it worked for me.
Also, if you are interested, the book Nighttime Parenting by Dr William Sears was a lifesaver for me. I sent my copy to another DS mama FFS, so maybe you could post here to see if anyone has a copy.
HTH!