Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Babywearing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Best carrier for a bad back (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176500)

lpsw 07-01-2007 01:23 AM

Best carrier for a bad back

The only type of carrier that I've ever used is a ring sling, though I've just ordered my first pouch. My main problem is that I've got a protruding disc in my lower back (L5, S1) that hits a nerve root when it gets at all inflamed, causing a good deal of pain. For those of you who have tried several different kinds of carriers, which do you think is easiest on the back? I've only done a front carry as I'm afraid that carrying a baby on my back might cause me to arch my back, which is a very bad thing for me. I'm most often carrying a 17 lb. 7 month old.

Thanks!

jlanni 07-01-2007 09:31 AM

Re: Best carrier for a bad back

:popcorn: I've got scolisis and had 2 titanium rods put on each side of my spine and have severe arthritis and need advice for a good sling too!! I'm toting a 25lb 6 month old :bboy: I made a ring sling and a pouch neither help, i end up in excrutating pain within 30 minutes of wearing my lo.

Thrice Blessed 07-01-2007 09:40 AM

I have an MT, which seems to distribute the weight really well. If I wear him in front, my lower back does bother me, but I'm new at this, so m/b it's me. Also, I need to try wearing him in back, like a backpack-I think that would work better. Hope you find what you need!:goodvibes:

jeanieande 07-01-2007 10:10 AM

I've got a lousy back, though it doesn't sound near as bad as the problems you have. I tried using a ring sling and it was painful!!

I now use the ergo, even carry him on my back with it, and because of the distribution of the weight (towards your hips, not your low back/shoulders) i haven't had much of a problem with it. I LOVE my ergo...even though the little guy isn't much of a carrier type baby. :) I especially love the versatility of it...side/front/back carry...from infant on up. :)

-ashley- 07-01-2007 06:38 PM

ooooh Mamma...you DEFINATLY do not need a pouch or a ring sling! You need a moby style wrap or a stuctured carrier, somthing to distribute the weight evenly across your shoulders. Wearing your baby high will help also. Here's a MT I just made, and it feels sooooo good!!! No pressure what so ever across your lower back!
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...7-01-07009.jpg

GinsAMom 07-02-2007 12:06 PM

I have a bad back as well and have heard that the moby wraps a wonderful for this. They are extreamly versitile, and distribute the weight evenly over the entire top half of your body. This is what I am planning on purchasing for my new bundle!

Kellster 07-04-2007 05:25 PM

i had a moby and it was comfy. i too have a disc prob in addition to arthritis and spondy in my back.

i did sell the moby tho because it was the moby d and the main color was black-way too hot/too much material for me right now.

i also recently sold my beco-only cause i need the $ right then!:lostit: but it was actually pretty comfy and a breeze to get on.

i didn't like the peanutshell or the baby patapum and had probs with MT's with ds2.

i was going to try a RS next,but from this thread i take it this is a bad idea?:yuck:

islandpup 07-04-2007 07:39 PM

I have had lower back problems for about 10 years and I have tried ring slings, pouches and mei tais. Our best luck so far has been with an Angel Pack LX. It is a beautiful structured carrier (mei tai). I wear my 16 pound 7 mo old on my back (not front) and it is totally comfortable for a little less than an hour!

Also, the solar mei tai above in ~Ashleys~ post is mine!!! I can't wait to get it!

Rylee'smama 07-04-2007 08:54 PM

I have a bad back and I love the Toddler Patapum. I would wear my MT for 1/2 hour & couldn't move the next morning. I got the TP for my b-day & even my DH loves it. I even went on a 2.5 mile hike & wasn't even sore!!!!!!!!!!:lostit: :lostit: :lostit:

drdawnberta 07-08-2007 04:12 PM

I would say a wrap would be best for you. :thumbsup: Wrapped really close and tight and high up. spread the cloth as much as possible to distribute the weight the best. Also, try really hard not do any type of bending/twisting with the baby on you, this is what blows out the discs!!:yuck:
Do not, SERIOUSLY DO NOT use a sling or anything over just one shoulder. I love RS but bad back is a total contraindication!!!!!!!:banghead:
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions :goodvibes: