Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How long did you breastfeed? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178481)

mamatutugirls 07-04-2007 09:23 PM

How long did you breastfeed?

I just want to hear other people's opinions on what age is too old to be breastfeeding and why. Both my babes were done at 15 months, on their own! That was perfect for us. Just curious to know how long others nursed and if there was anyone such as friends or family that thought it was too long.

Austinsmamma 07-04-2007 09:27 PM

Re: How long did you breastfeed?

Austin is still nursing at almost 38 months:mrgreen:

attachedmamaof3 07-04-2007 09:29 PM

I nursed my oldest to 3.5 yrs.

My middle put up a hell of a nursing strike at 9-10 months and we never quite recovered. He's 2 now and miiiight nurse every month or so...he's nursed 2x in the past week which is kind of a record. I think he's pretty much done.

DD is 6 mo now and I fully expect to go past 2-3 with her as well....although I'm pretty good nursing as long as she likes!

Beatle412 07-04-2007 09:30 PM

Well, long story...I originally wanted to BF DS. But due to hospital snafus it didn't work out. I had a crummy hand pump and would supplement his formula w/ about 6oz of BM.

Around 3/4 months he was dxed w/ an allergy to corn, milk, soy, and wheat. I couldn't afford the neocate, so I instead got real busy w/ domperidone, ED, and got a GOOD pump. I was able to fully relactate within using 3 cans of the neocate.

At 14 months we are still going strong as DS is still showing signs of milk and soy sensitivites.

I will probably stop around 2 years though....Flame away, but EPing is hard work and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Steph

mama2six 07-04-2007 09:32 PM

1st - 4 months
2nd - 3 months
3rd - 4 months
(all of the above were weaned due to being single parent, work full time and lack of support. If only i knew then what i know now)

4th - self weaned at 14 months
5th - still nursing (she's almost 9 months) and I hope she goes at Least as long as the last one.

I don't really have an opinion on how old is too old to nurse. I honestly never saw myself nursing past 1 year until my Zachary turned 1 and I knew i wasn't ready to stop lol. I couldn't picture myself still nursing my 11, 8, 5 or 3 year old.....but that's not to say there's anything wrong with people who choose to do so. (well I guess I would have to say 11 is definitely too old and 8 probably, but that's my opinion).

themom 07-04-2007 09:33 PM

First baby - 2 days, pumped for 6 weeks.

Second baby - 9 months (had feeding and weight gain issues)

Third baby - 3 years (my personal limit)

Fourth baby - 9 months (severe, ongoing feeding and weight gain issues)

Googly Bear 07-04-2007 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beatle412 (Post 1383458)
Well, long story...I originally wanted to BF DS. But due to hospital snafus it didn't work out. I had a crummy hand pump and would supplement his formula w/ about 6oz of BM.

Around 3/4 months he was dxed w/ an allergy to corn, milk, soy, and wheat. I couldn't afford the neocate, so I instead got real busy w/ domperidone, ED, and got a GOOD pump. I was able to fully relactate within using 3 cans of the neocate.

At 14 months we are still going strong as DS is still showing signs of milk and soy sensitivites.

I will probably stop around 2 years though....Flame away, but EPing is hard work and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Steph

I think its sad to have to worry about being flamed! 2 years is awesome, you're doing a great job mama! My dd had the same problems, maybe not as bad because she tolerates Nutramigen well. But I had to do the ED, and relactated, but by the time I relacted (5 weeks) she had self weaned. She was almost 5 months old. So kudos to you for going this long! I know how extremely difficult pumping and ED can be!!! :goodvibes:

I watched a video on You Tube today about a mama (somewhere in the UK I think) who was still breastfeeding her 8 year old and 5 year old. It was from some sort of documentary titled "Extraordinary Breastfeeding".. It was really interesting to listen to her views on extended BF.

kattayanna_mom 07-04-2007 09:36 PM

My DD is 23 mths today and we are still nursing.We believe in CLW(child led weaning) so when she's ready to stop we will.
I believe in letting the baby/toddler/child decide when they are done.

frogandtoad 07-04-2007 09:36 PM

DS1 - 35 mos
DS2 - 30 mos
DS3 - currently EBF @ 2 mos, plan 2 cont. for at least 1 yr or as long as it works for the both of us

jenncatsmeow 07-04-2007 09:40 PM

We are still nursing at almost 25 months.... :)