Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What kind of detergent do you use on your pockets? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17992)

ocfb16 06-27-2006 08:06 PM

What kind of detergent do you use on your pockets?

Okay I am just about fed up with my pocket diapers. I love them when they are working and hate them when they're not. I've been using cloth for 4 months now and it seems like every other week I am stripping. I first realized I might be using the wrong detergent (TIDE) and the wrong amount. So I stripped them over and over (hot washes with dawn). There are never any bubbles when I wash them in the hot water alone. The only thing that worked was hand scrubbing them with dawn. With 35 diapers that is exhausting and my hands ended up blistering. So from that point on I started washing with Dawn only (I was told by the FB lady that this was okay) and hang dry them all so it cannot be from fabric sheet buildup in the dryer. Well I have leaking pockets again!!!! :banghead:

So what kind of detergent do you use? and exactly how much for about 20-35 pockets? Have you had any problems with it? Keep in mind I have NO washing soda anywhere around me and no TTO. I cannot afford to order detergents online or anything like Allens.

My inserts absorb well but they always reek of urine and ammonia after she pees. I was them with dawn as well and do hot washes over and over afterwards and there are NO BUBBLES. So what is the problem?

Fullhouse 06-27-2006 08:12 PM

Re: What kind of detergent do you use on your pockets?

I use just Dawn myself. The "Odor Eraser" formula, lol!

Voltige 06-27-2006 08:20 PM

Are you washing all 20-35 at the same time? I have the best results with all my diapers (only a few pockets, mostly fitteds and prefolds) when I only do half loads and wash on a large load setting- plenty of room for the diapers to swish around.

My favorite detergent is Sports Wash. I used SUN once and got stinkies that I'm still fighting. I am using Allen's now, and I'm undecided about it.

I boiled all my hemp inserts today- and I didn't have any bubble reside either. I might try vinegar next- but I'm still not sure about that.

Good luck!

cblurose 06-27-2006 08:21 PM

Well I only use pockets at night...used to use fuzzibunz and now wonderoos so I only have 8 to 10 per wash load (2 in cloth at night) with prefolds, wipes and covers mixed in also.
I don't wash them seperately or anything.
I've used Fab and Tide on my diaper laundry and just enough the cover the bottom of the cap. I'm guessing 1 tbsp. I don't know why your having problems. I'm sorry. Hope someone might be able to help more than I tried. :thumbsup:

jamiectw 06-27-2006 08:27 PM

I've had the best luck with using just baking soda. Alot of it can depend on your water too if it's hard. If I use baking soda and vinegar then I get problems but not with just baking soda alone. I also had okay results using about 2tbsp of detergent (usually sams brand) and vinegar in the rinse cycle. Good luck!

mom2t 06-27-2006 08:46 PM

If you have MF inserts, you can bleach them once and a while. (Info on Cotton Babies web) That really works about 1/4 cup with inserts only. Sounds like you have absorbancy problem. Your baby may be a heavy wetter, or like mine and save it for one big pee. Mine dd is 17 months, this is agood sign for PL.
Hope you have luck.

masonite 06-27-2006 08:53 PM

Man! It seems like this is one of those things that what works for one might not work for another! :(

I'll give you my "recipe" and what works for me, and hopefully it can help you in some way.

I use Sun detergent on my dipes. I usually wash in loads of 10-12 at a time (including inserts) anymore than that, and I don't think there is enough room for everything to move around. The more water per load, the more the water is going to be able to soak up the yuckies. So, even with 10 dipes, I'll do the biggest water size load that I can.

I use about 1/4 of the cup that's included of the Sun. Usually I'll do three rinses instead of two, but it all depends. I do have lavender oil, but I don't really use it all that often. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, but I don't think it makes a difference as to whether my dipes are smelling good or not.

99.9% of the time I have stink issues, it comes from my inserts and not my dipes. The best method that I've found for that came from a diaper website. It's called their "Deep Clean" method. (Again, I have only done this on inserts, not the dipes, but I could email and ask if it'd be okay on pockets. It's from www.nickisdiapers.com)

1. Cold water rinse, no detergent, with the water on the highest setting.
2. Fill washing machine with hot water.
3. Add bleach alternative (like Oxyclean--I use the Sun version of Oxyclean) and detergent (again, I use Sun).
4. Soak diapers (inserts) for 2-3 hours. (I will often soak overnight.)
5. Do at least 2 HOT water rinses adding a few drops of lavender oil to the final rinse. (Again, I don't think this is a big deal if you don't have it or can't get it.)
6. Dry inserts in the dryer, or sun to dry for extra whiteness.

I do this no my inserts whenever I'm having stink issues, and it's always cleared them right up.

I hope you can find whatever works for you! That has got to be SO frustratring! :(

Bare Bottom Gear 06-27-2006 08:57 PM

http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.co...entchoices.htm

Detergents that say "fights stains" have stain fighters in them ie: Enzymes. Bad for baby and diapers. Detergents that say "brightens/whitens" have optical brightners in them. Bad for baby, bad for diapers.

Use the link above. That website has a color coded chart that tells you what type of detergant to use on what type of diapers.

Be carefull not to overstuff your FB's (or other pockets) or this could cause leaking. Also, I second doing med size loads. 1 tbsp of one of the liquids or small amount of powder to a med load is perfect.

Sportwash can be found in the hunting section next to the waterproofing sprays for $3 something a bottle. I use one capful on a med load. It rinses clean so even if you used too much you'd be ok. No smells either. Hunters need that so their prey cannot detect human presence.

If your microfiber gets stinky (or hemp) boil them and then use a little bit (tbsp) of bleach, soak and wash with no soap. Hot wash/cold rinse.

HTH!

SarahJane 06-27-2006 09:13 PM

I wash my pockets separate from the inserts and have not had any issues with stink or build up. I usually wash about 15 at a time on the highest setting. I use dawn sometimes but also washing soda with either Allen's or 7th generation. I had been using Tide free and Clear in the beginning, but after reading around switched to the above. Try separating out the inserts and washing them alone a couple of times with oxy clean. It sounds to me like either you need to add hemp for more absorbtion or your inserts have build up. I like the hemp babies doubler behind a microfiber for a fast heavy wetter..... pm me if you have more questions. I'd be happy to help.

:hugs:

blondeviolin 06-27-2006 09:21 PM

We use Sam's Detergent and haven't had a problem yet. :)