Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How often do you nurse a 10+ month old?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18153)

keeperof3angels 06-28-2006 11:13 AM

How often do you nurse a 10+ month old??

Hi all, I am concerned if my 10 month old is nursing enough. She is only interested in nursing once in the morning (this time is usually from both sides), then once in the afternoon, and then before bedtime, but then sometimes she may skip one here or there....but she is gaining fine and healthy, so i'm not worried, just wanted to know what everyone elses children were doing :-) She loves to eat snacks and finger foods and i think that may be what she wants more often, and she has about 4-5 oz of juice/yogurt juice a day too, but i want her to have enough liquids....But, I am concerned that my milk will dry up because i'm not feeding her as often...so i hope not.

I'm also wondering how others breastfeed for up to 2 years or more...i would love to do this but i have a feeling it will only be at night, is that how it usually is?

I nursed my other two DD for about 15 months, and they basically weaned themselves, no matter what i would do they would just turn their head or bite me (i was so sad)...and for the life of me I can't remember how often they nursed at that age and younger.

TIA!!

ChurchPunkMom 06-28-2006 11:56 AM

Re: How often do you nurse a 10+ month old??

That's pretty typical of a 10mo. At that age, they're busy learning and developing new skills and will lose interest in nursing for a little while. That's part of what makes 1yr such an easy age to wean at for most! 10-15mo is usually a bit of a slow period. If you're still nursing at least 2-3 times a day, I wouldn't worry at all! Your body will actually adjust and your milk will be more 'concentrated' to compensate for the infrequency. Chances are once she's mastered more of her gross motor skills (crawling, cruising, walking), she'll start nursing a lot - partly out of boredom! Most toddlers only nurse 2-4 times a day - many over 20mo or so will only nurse 1 or 2 times a day. After 2 years, some don't even nurse every day. It just depends on the child. Some will still nurse a few times a day, some only at night..

As far as extra fluids, just make sure you offer her water or juice during the day in a sippy cup. If she's thirsty, she'll drink. Also, offer drinks before snacks. It's very easy for thirst to be mistaken for hunger and it's important for toddlers to receive plenty of fluids so that they can tell the difference - does that make any sense? Anyway, sounds like you're doing fine!!:thumbsup:

snowbird25ca 06-28-2006 01:13 PM

My dd was nursing 6X a day at that age. Basically when she woke, before & after each of her 2 naps and then at bedtime. She wasn't real big into eating huge amounts of solids, but drank lots of water in a sippy throughout the day.

My dd just finished self weaning this last month due to my milk supply dropping & starting to change to colostrum. She dropped to 4 nursing sessions a day around 15 or 16 months and varied between 3 & 4 pretty much right up until she started getting frustrated at the lack of milk.

As long as your dd is nursing your body will customize the milk to how much she wants & you won't dry up. My daughter was a real booby baby & never took a soother or bottle so that might've been part of the reason why she kept nursing as often as she got older. I think she'd still be nursing if I still had milk.

So far as how some people nurse past 2 yrs and longer, I think it just depends on the child. Some babies really do self wean before 1yr of age for whatever reason despite moms best efforts. Maybe someone else will have more insight on that...

Kellyd 06-28-2006 02:00 PM

My son weaned himself during an illness with RSV when he was almost 12 months old, but before that he was still nursing/taking a bottle about 4 times a day. With both my girls I nursed them until they were 18 months old, and it was about the same with them. My youngest still woke up during the night to nurse all they way up until she was almost a year old. But- both my girls had some food reactions and so they really didn't start on solids until between 10 and 11 months- so them nursing 4 to5 times a day was probably a little unusual since it was still their primary food source. You may want to cut out the juice drinks and only offer water. Juice can often give so much sugar- even when diluted- that it really decreased their drive to want to eat.

kezoo 06-28-2006 02:37 PM

My 1 year old dd is still nursing about 6x per day (maybe 7x if she wakes up in the night, although that is becoming rare, thank goodness!). She is, as pp said, a real boobie baby, so I think she will easily make 2 y.o. My ds was not a "boobie baby" and he self-weaned at 18 months. Just keep offering, and she will let you know when she wants to be done. :)

Psychomom 06-28-2006 05:02 PM

I'd say that is pretty typical behavior of a 10 month old, but my son was the opposite; he nursed every 3 hours or so. But he didn't eat solids, so that totally makes a difference.

danibu98 06-28-2006 09:05 PM

Greg- nurses 4-6 times a day.

Liam- on an extended nursing strike. I pump for him 4-5 times a day.

Both are 10 months

Danielle

Ginamcf 06-29-2006 09:28 AM

When my little guy was 10 months old he went through 2 nursing strikes due to teething. I didn't know that was what it was until the teeth came in and nursing went back to normal. I didn't want to loose my supply either in case he got re-interested so I pumped when he would normally have nursed. Boy, was I glad I did that because once he was done teething those teeth he was back with a vengence and he didn't have to work hard to build my supply back up. I know it works it's way out without the pump but I have really grown to love my pump and believe it will be the key to keeping him interested in extended nursing since I can use it to increase my supply if he doesn't want to nurse. At 10 months my little one became so distractable that I had to nurse him in a quiet dark room to get him to focus!