Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   for those ebf-ing... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1870)

squirtymomma 04-27-2006 01:41 PM

for those ebf-ing...

Does your dc (past 1 year) just get breastmilk, or do you give him/her some other kind of milk as well? Like, if you only nurse a couple of times a day, do they get formula/cow's/goat's/soy, or whatever too? I'm thinking about what I want to do once dd turns 1 year. I don't want to wean completely, but I may be ready to cut back a bit. TIA.

dirtdartwife 04-27-2006 02:16 PM

Re: for those ebf-ing...

my baby will be year in a few weeks and I've given her a small sippy with organic cow's milk. Seeing how a half gallon costs more than a gallon of gas, I have to figure something else out. I don't want to put her on cow's milk without the BFing as my oldset had lactose intolerance for a long time after switching her to cow's milk from formula.

I think in small doses, baby will be fine. I'm trying to follow my baby's lead with her weaning (not me forcing it on her like I did with DD2 :cry: ) but still want her to get calcium and all that.
good luck!!! :goodvibes:

momeeboys 04-27-2006 04:02 PM

Because of some allergy issues I had with DS1, our allergist recommended waiting until 15 months before we started cow's milk. I'll do the same for DS2. Until your baby is getting a good amount of calories and nutrition from solids, no sense cutting back since the BM provides such a perfect source of nutrition.

sparkygirl74 04-27-2006 04:36 PM

We do bm, H2O and every once in a while a little juice. I don't think there is anything in cows milk that she isn't getting from eating healthy and getting bm. We try to get her to drink rice milk every few weeks, but she thinks it's yucky. lol. I am not worried about it, and her ped recommended a vitamin supplement or fortified oj instead, but wasn't pushy about it.

wbkt8 04-27-2006 04:52 PM

dd is 19 months and she has a sippy of organic whole milk that she works on during the day. she drinks somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 oz/day. she drinks a little water & the rest of her liquids are from bf. it's nice to have something to give her with dinner or for dh if i'm not around or just if i don't especially feel like nursing right that second. i don't think it has any impact on her nursing - for us anyway.

Shaineinok 04-27-2006 05:40 PM

No allergy issues here so I introduce cow's milk gradually. They don't have any interest in it though. Mine drink water, juice, a little tea from mom's cut ect. And still nurses a few times.

Proverbs169 04-27-2006 05:59 PM

We introduce cow's milk gradually as well. None of our kids has ever had an issue with it.

roseselene 04-27-2006 09:20 PM

Our DD cannot tolerate cow's milk so we have rice milk in our house. In this instance that I'm not home and DS wants milk, he gets EBM if its available or rice milk, but he's never had cow's milk.
Amy

Drummer's Wife 04-27-2006 09:39 PM

DS is 14 months and has a cow's milk allergy, so when I'm away from him (not very often) he drinks a small amount of soy milk... I would pump but I haven't been able to get much out lately. He still nurses a ton :)

Prettylocks 04-27-2006 09:55 PM

DS #1 only got my milk until I weaned him at 18mo. He did get yogurt a lot though. For DS #2, I plan to make my own yogurt from raw goats milk when he is ready.