Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   s/o-Were you allowed to eat & drink during labour? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18713)

sparkygirl74 06-30-2006 10:13 AM

s/o-Were you allowed to eat & drink during labour?

I keep reading about you guys who weren't allowed to eat and drink during labour. When I was labouring they wheeled in a huge tray of food for every meal, and kept this wonderful water jug with a straw filled with ice water right next to me. I didn't eat much, but at least it was there if I wanted to. They also brought meals for dh and kept a little kitchen stocked with snacks for us in the hall.

This is a a pretty c-section happy hospital too.
(we are in the middle of nowhere with no NICU and they would rather cut than be sorry):sadno:

bamamom 06-30-2006 10:14 AM

Re: /o-Were you allowed to eat & drink during labour?

I prefer to stay as far away from hospitals as possible, so yes, I ate and drank at will during labors.

I think its absurd to expect a woman to do the hardest work of her life, and deprive her of nourishment. Absolutely stupid.

wbkt8 06-30-2006 10:15 AM

i don't know about allowed, but they definitely didn't bring in food. i really should have drunk/eaten more while i was in labor. they did give me juice and crackers after she was born. i had a friend who said she snuck in a big candy bar and a bright red soda - and would hide them every time they came in to check on her. she said the game was up when she finally puked and it was bright red :smiley_haha:

kissum 06-30-2006 11:02 AM

I wasn't allowed. And my labor was LONG. I was starving.

scatterbrainedmom 06-30-2006 11:14 AM

i wasn't allowed in the hospital, but when i had my home birth i did.

Samantha 06-30-2006 11:18 AM

I think they let me have broth when I was having DD oh and water.

DS...only water.

sparkygirl74 06-30-2006 11:27 AM

Re: s/o-Were you allowed to eat & drink during labour?

OK, that just really stink! I would never go back!!!:lostit:
How do they expect to to be able to have the darn baby when you are startving?!?

bsydprmkn 06-30-2006 11:34 AM

with dd, i wasnt allowed to have anything. it wasnt that bad though since from start to finish it was only 7 hours. with ds i did eat some because it actually took a full day for me waiting to be induced in the hospital. but once everything started going, it was only 3 hours of labor, so i didnt eat through that one either.

deejahd 06-30-2006 11:43 AM

Nope I wasn't even allowed water, only Ice chips. I was very very thristy but not at all hungry during my ordeal.

GrowingUpMad 06-30-2006 11:49 AM

With ds I ate before I went to the hospital (to get induced, no clue I was dilated to 7 and in "hard" labor) so when they said no food I was fine. Then they said no water only ice chips and I thought the was crazy. Right after he was born I drank everything I could get my hands on.

With dd I was induced and they admitted me the night before with no food or water after midnight. I didn't have her until 5pm the following evening. While I don't remember actually caring about food I do remember sneaking drinks off dh when the nurses were out.

Third baby and yet a different hospital so we'll see how it goes. I plan on packing snacks and drinks and will snek if I feel the need.