Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Reglan (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18836)

KnottyLDSMama 06-30-2006 05:47 PM

Reglan

Well, I didn't want to do this. Yet here we are. I'm already very prone to depression (and on Zoloft), so I was avoiding Reglan like the plague. But everything (and I do mean EVERYTHING) else has failed. So I have a month to find out if this is going to work, and then I'll just have to accept that my son will never be 100% breastfed. :(

Please please please pray/light a candle/whatever you do for me. This could get ugly before it gets better. :yuck:

titania 06-30-2006 08:15 PM

Re: Reglan

oh, hon, im sorry you are having a hard time. just because reglan can have the side effect of depression, doesn't mean it will. i hope it agrees with you. have you thought of domperidone instead? it doesn't have the risk of depression. just something to think about. i took it for about 8 weeks. not sure if it actually made a difference, but i was able to cut out the bottles and bottles of formula i was using. for me though, and i'm sure you have done this, but for me what finally did the trick was nursing more frequently. i nursed (and still do, actually) before and after every nap, and several times during their awake time. that was the turning point for me. but that didn't happen until the boys were 6 months old! also, for a few days i pumped for 10 mins after every nursing. ok, not every one, but a lot.

i will say a prayer for you and i hope all goes well for you. good luck, and remember, even if your baby gets some formula, you are still doing a great thing for him, and for you. hugs.

jennyofthemoon 06-30-2006 08:21 PM

:hugs: mama...try not to go into it with a negative attitude, maybe you WON'T be one of the women who has the side effect of depression. And think, if it works, how DELIGHTED you will be!!! On a serious note, stress/depression in mothers can actually inhibit milk supply, so try to relax. I know it's hard, I know how frustrating it can be, but if you can get a little bit of tension eased, maybe that will help out a little too. Good luck, and I'm SO sorry you are having such difficulties, but even if it doesn't work out for the best (which it WILL-THINK POSITIVE!!!!!) you are giving all the rbeastmilk you physically can, and that is no small accomplishment!

rlharp5375 07-08-2006 11:09 AM

I took it for three months before switching to Domperidone for two months. It didn't make me depressed but really tired. I can see how someone would get that way when all they feel like doing is staying in bed. Just get up and go out.

Have you tried the fenugreek and blessed thistle combo? It helped me more than either of the drugs alone did. I actually started using an SNS to encourage him to suck harder and longer on the breast but still give him the extra calories. It worked miracles for me. I double my supply in two weeks.

Now ds is almost 9 months and EBF with a little solids. It can be done. Good Luck Momma!!!:hugs:

blessed with boys 07-09-2006 08:30 PM

I'm on reglan and I dont notice a difference in my mood, and I had ppd after Eli was born. I was tired for the first 2 weeks or so but I'm always tired it seems.
Jackie

KnottyLDSMama 07-10-2006 08:28 PM

Thanks for your support everybody. I'd done EVERYTHING except Relgan. It seems the reglan is actually going to be the thing to help!! At his last appointment, they weighed him, I nursed him, and we weighed him again. He got 4 ounces! He's never gotten more than 1 - 1 1/2 ounces. I was SOOOO excited. He's still getting a lot of formula (2 ounces every 2-3 hours), but I'm satisfied that he's at least getting a bit more breastmilk. My depression has been a bit worse, but nothing totally unmanageable. Let's hope it continues this way.

toryandrew 07-10-2006 08:35 PM

Get Domperidone instead, same kind of drug NONE of the side-effects!!! Reglan does bad things to me but not depression. Domperidone is theoretically illegal here but you can get it and it's very safe.

KnottyLDSMama 07-10-2006 08:36 PM

Tried it. NO effect at all. I actually still have a lot of it left. It was a waste of money to have it imported all the way from New Zeland when it didn't work at all.

toryandrew 07-10-2006 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonprysm
Tried it. NO effect at all. I actually still have a lot of it left. It was a waste of money to have it imported all the way from New Zeland when it didn't work at all.

Wow! I've never heard of it not working :hugs: Even if Reglan doesn't work out you've tried everything and you can feel really good about that! :thumbsup:

Meisubaby 07-11-2006 05:15 PM

Maybe I am just confused but are you not wanting to take Zoloft? or trying to avoid getting horrible depression from Reglan? I am on Zoloft for PPD and I still nurse. I haven't been on Reglan with this baby but when I was with #2 and for s short time with #3 it worked wonders! Then again Fenugreek 3 capsules 3 times a day does as well! Good luck!