Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   All You Breastfeeding MOMMYS!!! HELP (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189500)

Mommy2bagain 07-22-2007 02:07 PM

All You Breastfeeding MOMMYS!!! HELP

Hi everyone! I have been reading the post and trying to get a feel for everything on this site and you all seem like AWESOME people! Your so nice to everyone and give advice Its great!! So I thought I might throw this topic in here!

I am a mommy to 2 little girls. A 2yr old and a 14month old. I did not breastfeed them, I did try and my milk ever came in. I felt bad that I could not give them what they needed. My second one was born at 32 weeks and I tryed to pump for months and did everything NOTHING! So I had to bottle feed her. Well I am 7 weeks pregnant with my 3rd and I really want to breastfeed! I really do! Has anyone had a problem and than finally it all worked out? I feel that if I do breastfeed this time and it works that I let my other 2 down cause I couldnt do it for them? I need some advice!! :)

Also- I need someone to tell me about cloth diapers!!!! I have heard of them but do not know how it works and would love to learn!!! :) Thanks for hearing me out!! :)

frogandtoad 07-22-2007 02:16 PM

Re: All You Breastfeeding MOMMYS!!! HELP

Get loads of information - check here for great info - http://www.lalecheleague.org and locations for local meetings. Get a fantastic support network, make sure DH is on board and family too, *and* highly recommend that you find a "mentor" mom, one who's breastfed successfully.

Also, you mention you had supply issues. Without knowing all the details, I can say that generally this is extremely rare that a women *cannot* produce enough milk but it is possible. You will want to be sure and rule out any medical issues with your supply so be sure and talk to your doctor/midwife about this.

CrunchyMama0607 07-22-2007 02:16 PM

So glad you've decided to breastfeed! And CONGRATS on your new little bundle! (I have a 15mth old) I didn't really have alot of nursing problems but I had a few...I had thrush when she was smaller (ouch!) and so did she :cry: but we worked through that, had a clogged milk duct and I pumped and nursed alot until it went away and also, my milk letdown was really fast at first, but here we are....15mths and still going strong and I'm 18wks pregnant :lostit: Its truly wonderful & addicting.

Those first 2wks are going to be the hardest...I suggest you find a really good lactation consultant (hosp has them and la leche league), maybe join a LLL (la leche league) while your pregnant & educate educate educate! Buy a good BFing book. (Dr. Sears is wonderful) and I have a nursing bk I'd sell ya if your interested. :hugs: Hope that helps, you can do this!!

As for cloth diapering...pocket diapers and AIO (all in ones) are the easiest to start out with in my opinion. But they can be expensive, so I'd check the FSOT section on here and invest in some used ones to try until you know what brands ya like. Sorry to write a book, lol, hope that helps!

P.S if you wanna talk BFing, feel free to PM me or if you'd like the nursing book i have. :goodvibes:

Supply issues: eat a bowl of oatmeal each morning (after u have baby) to increase your supply & buy some mothers milk tea. It has an odd taste at first, but you'll get used to it.

***rule of thumb*** with nursing, the more you nurse/pump, the more milk you make! :)

momahaylie 07-22-2007 02:22 PM

AIO's have been easiest for us. I have gotten most of mine off of fsot

ThreeBunniesMoma 07-22-2007 03:40 PM

I successfully EBF dd#1 from birth till 15months. DD#2 came along when DD#1 was 18mo.With DD#2 I had preeclampsia and various other problems. I wasn't able to bf DD#1 because my milk never came in. (I tried for 6 weeks and got nothing) Along comes DD#3 three years later and she went into the NICU at birth. I started pumping 3 hours after birth. My milk came in on day 4 and I got to physically bf her on day 6. She came home at 8 days old and she is still nursing like a pro at 17 1/2mo.:thumbsup:

hungrytree 07-22-2007 05:12 PM

I would be curious if you could find out why your milk never came in. If it really didn't come in [you never leaked or got engorged or anything] that would seem to be some kind of medical issue that you might need to get help with. You can pump all day long, but if you really don't have milk it won't help. I second talking to local La Leche League people to see if they can help and it might be something to talk to your doctor about. Hope you can figure out the problem :goodvibes:

AddysMama 07-23-2007 12:33 AM

i suggest start taking goats rue.
and get thee to an IBCLC.

Kiliki 07-23-2007 12:52 AM

I had a LOT of trouble BFing, and honestly, I still do. DD is 6 mos. It can be very difficult, but the rewards are so fantastic, that even on days that I just want to quit, we just keep plugging away. I'm determined to continue, even though it is still hard sometimes for us. I think the other mommas here have given you some GREAT advice! And, I agree with pp that it is VERY rare that a momma never makes ANY milk for her baby - if that is truly the case, it is quite possible that there is something preventing you from making milk. Nursing immediately (or as soon as you can) after birth is really important (IMO) for getting your body to make milk. The only thing I'd suggest that hasn't been suggested yet is to nurse your baby right away after birth - within the first couple of hours if it is possible for you to do that. Best wishes!

MamaZ 07-23-2007 08:27 AM

Definitely pursue it with your dr about why you may not be making any milk. Unfortunately I had to change drs so it was impossible to get any of my drs to help me out because I was in the same boat-no engorgement, nothing. It was as if she was nursing off a plastic doll or DH :giggle: But this time I hope with the Mother's Milk Tea and the More Milk Plus tincture I picked up I'll have a better shot. Good luck mama!!

Kita 07-23-2007 08:48 AM

Certain medications can hinder milk production, particularly magnesium sulfate, which is used a lot for preeclampsia. However, it's not like you can refuse the mag, because it can save your life, KWIM?

I also second the suggestion to go to an LLL meeting while you're pregnant. You can network and meet other moms, and LLL leaders (while not board-certified lactation consultants) are highly trained, and can refer you to the proper expert if they can't help. It's important to have the proper guidance lined up before you give birth, since those first few days can be so overwhelming. The more comfortable you feel with a person, the more likely you'll be to reach out for help!