Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   need your input. baby shower gifts...long (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190801)

missy_cbell21 07-24-2007 01:42 PM

need your input. baby shower gifts...long

my sil is about one month farther along than i am, at first she said she didn't really want too breastfeed. not that she was against it just that it was not that big of a deal too her. now she has been talked into it by her so, mom and docter. so she has told everyone that she wants too try for atleast the first six months but when we talked she didn't really seam into it. like she is just saying that so everyone will leave her alone. for all of my friends and fam that get pregers i ask if they plan too bf and if so i make this great bf'ing support kit for the babyshower gift. i can't decide if i should for her? if she decides not too bf that would be a large gift and price tag going too waist. not too mention the fact that i don't want too upset her by "pushing her" as my dh calles it. now i admit i am kinda militant about bf'ing but support every womans choice. if you read all of this so far thanks, so, if you are/were on the fence about bf'ing would you be offended or feal pushed into bf'ing if you recived a bf support kit? another option would be too tell her what i plan on getting her and ask if it is something she would like. what do you think?

mamaof3 07-24-2007 01:59 PM

Re: need your input. baby shower gifts...long

I don't think it would offend her, but I dont know her. I think if I were you I would talk to her and see how she reacts to you. That sounds like a cool gift! Good Luck

Hitchkids 07-24-2007 02:07 PM

Would you be ok with asking her what she would really like or prefer? Unless you are trying to surprise her. If you will be around to provide emotional support if she chooses to BF, maybe you could just put together a pamper mom gift basket instead.

munchkinflame13 07-24-2007 02:10 PM

I think you should talk to her first. No point in going to that much expense for something she doesn't want to use if you KWIM. :goodvibes:

sherbear178 07-24-2007 02:17 PM

I think a breastfeeding kit sounds like a great gift idea, I would love if someone gave me a gift like that. That being said, if you really dont think that she is truly interested in breastfeeding I would get her something else. There is no reason for you to put your time and money into making her a gift that she wont really appreciate, and ultimately she might not even use it. Dont get me wrong I am sure she would appreciate the gift from you, but if she isnt really interested in nursing she might appreciate something else more, like a gift basket with bottles and formula. I think breastfeeding is great and every mom should at least give it a try but I know that some people arent into it and thats just how they feel. If you are really set on giving her the breastfeeding kit try to talk to her and get a feel for how interested she is, you might be able to decide her interest level without actually having to give away the secret on what you were going to give her.

GrahamBaby4 07-24-2007 03:11 PM

From what you have described, she doesn't want to bf her child, she simply wants everyone off her back. Ask her if thats why she is saying it, tell her that its OKAY to not bf (I too am a bit sharky when it comes to BF, but I would never every "force" it down someones throat either) Let her know you support whichever decision she wishes, but ask her to tell you how she truly feels so that you can get an appropriate gift. - in my honest opinion, she would be more thankful to have an option than get something that is so wonderful but sooo not what she would need or want.

Lots of Love to both of you

1bigfamily 07-24-2007 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrahamBaby4 (Post 1484020)
From what you have described, she doesn't want to bf her child, she simply wants everyone off her back. Ask her if thats why she is saying it, tell her that its OKAY to not bf (I too am a bit sharky when it comes to BF, but I would never every "force" it down someones throat either) Let her know you support whichever decision she wishes, but ask her to tell you how she truly feels so that you can get an appropriate gift. - in my honest opinion, she would be more thankful to have an option than get something that is so wonderful but sooo not what she would need or want.

Lots of Love to both of you

this pretty much sums it up for me too. this way you can get her something she would really use whether it is the breastfeeding support kit or something else equally as wonderful. :) congrats to both of you! :thumbsup:

Nique 07-24-2007 07:34 PM

As someone who was on the fence and pushed too far by someone, I'd say have a nice talk with her first!

HTH

MamaToBe84 07-24-2007 08:01 PM

i say ask her... but then, im not one for surprises, lol...

but i think if you talk to her, and she says she truly doesnt want to breastfeed, then your money wont be wasted.. ya know?

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 07-25-2007 02:45 AM

i say talk to her also, your better off finding out what she really wants so it does get used:goodvibes: