Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   I want to throw my diapers away!!!!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19129)

Irishmommy 07-02-2006 06:37 AM

I want to throw my diapers away!!!!!

They have the stink so bad, I am so tired of battling it!!!!! I don't know what to try at this point. I've poured in a little bleach, I've boiled, I've vinegared, I've boraxed, I've rinsed, rinsed, rinsed. I'm in essence washing diapers on two cycles everytime I wash! The stinkies just keep coming back! HELP - I want to get rid of everything and just start over! It seems like I only had this problem when I started buying used. Please assure me that this can't happen with NEW diapers! I just used prefolds and covers with my son and NEVER had this problem, why is that?

Someone please advise me at this point because I'm about to put all these diapers to rest and start over and dh will have a FIT if I do that.

:cry: :lostit:

Irishmommy 07-02-2006 06:39 AM

Re: I want to throw my diapers away!!!!!

Oh, and can my wool get the stinkies too? I don't want all my covers to get "infected" by my diapers. Please tell me that this can't happen!

vick 07-02-2006 06:45 AM

I wonder if you tried wet pailing with some TTO if that would help? The instructions that came with my Sea Pearls said that TTO could remove odors, so I wonder if a few drops in a wet pail could help you with the stinkies?

I would *think* that any stinkiness that gets on your wool would be temporary and easily renmoved with a nice long bath in some good-smelling wool wash.

aimeemarie 07-02-2006 07:02 AM

What kind of diapers are you using?

ReagansMommy 07-02-2006 07:05 AM

I usually throw some TTO in with the wash... no stinkies and my stash is new and used....

raceNzanesmom 07-02-2006 07:16 AM

I don't think buying new would help. It would just take a bit before it started again.

I have found the only way to keep the stinkies away for good, and not drive myself insane, is to bleach every other wash. I was doing it every 4-5th wash and that just wasn't working. So, every other wash I do a normal routine then take everything but the inserts and plain hemp fitteds and wash those again with a TINY bit of bleach, double rinse. It's the only thing I've found to keep the stinkies 100% gone. This is much easier than all the rinsing and rinsing, adding boiling water, etc. My only problem now is I do have a handful of fitteds that I can't/won't bleach and they can get a little smelly, but not as bad as the inserts. I would seriously go to all prefolds except almost all of mine are dyed or tie dyed and I cn't bleach those either. I HATE using bleach, but it's a tiny amount, maybe 1/8 c, and I too could not stand the stinkies anymore.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

upstategirl 07-02-2006 07:19 AM

Are they hemp? I know my hemp diapers once they get pee on them, the urine smell is really bad. Once I wash them they are fine. I usally also strip them once a week. As long as they don't stink after I wash them I don't mind.

SarahJane 07-02-2006 07:24 AM

I only used pockets, but to keep my inserts smelling clean. Once a week I wash with washing soda, and oxyclean and try to sun if the weather allows. I haven't had any issues. I use a lot of sherpa with burley cotton knit and these don't have any issues at all.....

Hope you don't have to start over. I don't think it has anything to do with used. Do you use a different detergent for your family clothes? Maybe you need to just deep clean your washer. The diaper hyena has a process there for that. I'm finding that it just a good idea every month or so to just really clean my machine. I have an older child and a husband with sport clothes and they smell much worse than any diaper. So the deep cleaning for our machine just made sence...

Good luck :hugs:

Irishmommy 07-02-2006 07:32 AM

I'm now using Sensiclean and I use very little detergent with my other clothes. I use a variety of hemp/microfiber for fitteds, pockets and I also have some prefolds, which I think I am going to switch to until I get all this resolved. I am not just getting the stinky hemp smell, it's the ammonia smell which to me says build up, but I don't see how that is possible, kwim? Unless the boiling that I did last week wasn't enough. The smell was so bad this morning that it stunk up the bathroom and the two rooms closest!

It's just making me really tired right now.

vick 07-02-2006 08:05 AM

Dude, I'm tired just thinking about all the work of stripping repeatedly to get rid of stinkies!

Have you done just a plain cold water wash to see if there are suds showing up when the dipes agitate? Do you do a cold rinse before washing? I know hot water can set stains, and I think I've heard that it can set smells ...