Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Taking a one year old on a plane??...crazy?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19359)

ashandri 07-03-2006 11:03 AM

Taking a one year old on a plane??...crazy??

Okay....soooooo...I have the option of driving 18 hours with my one year old and husband to Arkansas (we are moving) or flying. I have chosen to fly with her. However, I will be flying alone with her and she will be sitting on my lap!!!! Of course, my mom (she had 6 kids) says I will be fine. However, I can't even imagine Bess (my little girl) sitting in my lap for an hour flight and the a 1 1/2 hour flight. I could buy her a seat, but they would make me pay full price. I can't afford to do that. Has anyone traveled this way? Does ANYBODY HAVE ANY ADVICE? Any experiences? Were people nice to you and helpful? We are flying southwest. I am already having nightmares. Bess is a good baby, but she sleeps with us and I lay with her to put her down for naps. She is not a real independent baby if you no what I mean. She doesn't get upset really easily, but she is high energy. Do ya'll think I am crazy to do this? THANKS !!!

Proverbs169 07-03-2006 10:23 PM

Re: Taking a one year old on a plane??...crazy??

I did the same thing, a number of times. I even did the 18 hours in a car thing- with a 2 y/o and a 6 m/o, so I know you can do it! My suggestion... snacks, books, crayons, stickers. Smaller things that are quiet and can fit into your bag. My dds were so enthralled with the plane ride itself, we didn't even use most of the things we brought. I brought treats they didn't get much at home and I got new books and stuff to keep them occupied. They both even fell asleep at one point. you can do it!

toryandrew 07-03-2006 10:27 PM

We have flown our kids everywhere, Europe, the Caribbean. I took a 6 month old on an 8 hour flight. It's easier than driving if you ask me because they can see you and you can interact better. When we have flown with a seat it hasn't been full-price, discounted but still not cheap.

Everyone was okay, we got glares when we first got on the plane but once they realized that DC were not goingto be screamers everything was okay. 1.5 hours is a breeze even if they scream it's over soon.

Sarah 07-03-2006 10:28 PM

I've flew 6 month preg with an 18 month old. What I did was went to the dollar store and bought a bunch of little toys,wrapped them in tissue paper and give him a present every half hour. He loved it and by the time he was done with one toy it was time for another.

Sarah

i0lanthe 07-04-2006 01:52 AM

If the flights tend to be underbooked, you might be able to put a carseat in an empty seat.. you can take it to the gate and gate-check it if not.

When I've bought a baby a seat, I got half price provided that a paying adult (me) accompanied (i.e. not a "free ticket from frequent flyer" adult) - but this was a different airline. I had to book by phone with the airline.

Bring something to chew or suck on to make ears pop during the pressure changes.

Bring a baby carrier? :) I find it easier than taking a stroller.

When I flew with a lap child I used a "Baby B'air" flight vest during the flight for my own peace of mind... keeps them from bouncing off the ceiling if there were to be excessive turbulence (or from falling off my lap if we both napped.. heh.)

EasterBun 07-04-2006 02:29 AM

I just did this a week ago, unexpectedly, and we did just fine. We were both really sick too (and came home early), which didn't help, but it really was NOT bad at all - much much better than the 3 day car trip (should have been 2 but we took a detour) to get to where we were.

I brought along a few toys she really likes (which she didn't really play with much - my bottle of excedrin was much more fascinating!), as well as a sippy cup with juice (even though she's still nursing, I wasn't sure if I'd even have ROOM to nurse on the planes!) and some snacks (various crackers and a couple of rice cakes).

I had a row to myself on both flights so nursing was no problem (it WOULD have been if I'd been seated inbetween two people, since she doesn't stay still and those seats are SO narrow), and she nursed through 90% of the first flight (only an hour) and at the beginning and end of the second (two hours) and watched TV with me a bit and slept the rest of the flight. The 5 minutes or so she wasn't attached to me during the first flight, she was GLUED to the window! The second, it was dark, so she wasn't interested in looking out, but she fell asleep, so it wasn't a big deal.

I hadn't brought a stroller on vacation, so I carried her in a Mei Tai around the airports.. it worked fine. I got loads of strange looks, but she was happy, and my hands were free :)

Flying is definately easier than driving IMO - I know my DD who normally does fine in the car did NOT like being in the car seat that much. I know it had to be uncomfortable for her to be strapped in for so long, even with breaks. If we do this again next year, Kaia and I will probably fly both ways.

ltelly00 07-04-2006 04:54 AM

DH's son just took his son (14 months) on a plane. He did great. He just held him while they needed to be seated and let him run (supervised) while they were up in the air. If you can't get an isle seat, maybe try to adjust naptime to your flight?

geckoed 07-04-2006 07:19 AM

I did 4 hours with a squirmy toddler once. I nursed during take-off and landing and we were FINE. I thought it would be hard (I had my other kids too, and they were in the row in front of me). We booked a night flight there and early morning back home and he slept a lot. He DID wake and cry about his ears some. I thought he would be running up and down the aisle, but he was fine.

Carrie 07-04-2006 09:36 AM

We just got back a week ago from 2 hrs. 40 min. flight from Austin to Raleigh. We each held one of our 18 month old twins. We held them in our toddler Patapum carriers in the front carry the entire time. On the way home the flight attendent told me that officially carriers are not allowed to be used during the flight and if anyone asked me I was to say that I "forgot" they weren't allowed (no one said anything on the way there). But it did make it much eaiser, because they really couldn't try to get down or anything, and they are usually pretty happy in the carriers. You will want to make sure you have something for DC to drink/suck on for take-off and descent. This is particularly important for descent as that is when the ears bother them the most. Be sure to check in with your gate because sometimes there are rules about where a lap child can sit on the plane and the people at the main check-in are not always familiar with these rules. I think Southwest is a family-friendly carrier. We flew American and they are not known for family-friendliness but it was still fine. Have fun!

Psychomom 07-04-2006 10:05 AM

First of all, where in AR are you moving to? I live in northwest AR. We could be neighbors! Secondly, is your daughter still nursing? We recently went on a vacation to Florida and we flew with our 3 kids...the youngest was 14 months old and he sat in my lap. He was good most of the time, but on the way back home, he was just SICK and TIRED of being confined. Our only saving grace was that I could nurse him. At that point, he was actually day-weaned, but on the plane I had no other choice and he was so happy to be able to nurse that it totally calmed him down.