Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Can water break slowly? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19493)

Manna00 07-03-2006 09:28 PM

Can water break slowly?

As you all know, today was my due date... and nope, nothing! I have a doctor's appointment on Thursday in the morning and if all is still looking good (last Wednesday I was 2 CM and 75% thinned out) they'll go on and induce me.

But, here's my question: I've been having a lot more fluid "down there" nowadays. I drink a LOT of water but it always seemed like my urine was still yellow... it never gets pale yellow. But now, when I wipe it's clear. Someone told me that their water had broken, but because DC's head was so low it can out very, very slowly. My doctor wanted me to only come in if A) I had a bloody show B) Contractions are 4-5 minutes apart or C) My water breaks. I'm going to call the nurses... but I just want to make sure I'm not hoping too hard. I mean, I always thought that when one's water breaks it's more of a gush and then a trickle... I got no gush... and I can't tell if I'm urinating or trickling. It's been going on for hte last 3 days or so... but I didn't even notice it COULD be my water breaking until today. Any advice (besides calling the nurses.. I'm-a gonna do that)???

Sarah 07-03-2006 09:41 PM

Re: Can water break slowly?

With Taci,my water broke and it wasn't even a trickle. I didnt' even think that why water had broken just that I was having bladder issues. The only way I even leaked fluid was if I completely relaxed those muscles

annes_cottage 07-03-2006 09:41 PM

With my first my water broke and it WAS a TINY trickle. They will always tell you it is a gush and in most cases it probably is. My sons head was down so far it acted as a cork. I was not sure at first that it was my water, but my panties kept getting damp and I was laying down. About the 4th time I went and wiped I did have a pink show. So we went to E.R. The nurses there were very rude and treated me like a baby. is this your first, awe poor thing, we will go ahead and check you then send you home. What a sweetie! Then they ask if i need a wheel chair!! So anyway they take me to an exam room and when she checked me she pushed up on baby's head....there was my gush!! ALL OVER THAT NURSE!!!! She was SOAKED. I bet she never treated anyone else like that again!! They do have a test strip they can use to see if it is amniotic fluid. Call see what they say, and maybe go in just to be on the safe side. If your water has been broke for 3 days you don't want an infection or anything! Prayers your way!! :goodvibes:

Gloria 07-03-2006 09:46 PM

YESSSSSSSS it can! The same thing happened to me. I sat down to pee and when i stood back up I had a trickle of fluid running down my leg. This was at 8:15am and there were NO contractions. Well I went in at 12:30pm cause I knew my water had broken and the nurses at the hospital checked me and told me it hadnt. So a few more days went by and I decided to go into my Dr's office for her opinion. Well come to find out it was a high leak and I had 'wiped' all of the amniotic fluid away so when they went to check me there wasnt anything there. Soooo my Dr had me 'push' like I would to have the baby and sure enough some fluid came creeping out and my water had indeed broken. Needless to say she was VERY upset cause the nurses should have known better and now me and the baby were at risk for infection. I had to be on antibiotics and they induced me. All was well and me and the baby were fine!! Good luck but if you think it has broken make sure you "push" some fluid out so they get an accurate reading...LOL

Lyric 07-03-2006 09:47 PM

Just to let you know it can trickle I though I had pee'd on myself and It was almost a month till my due date so I go scared and went to the doctor. They said that is had broke and their was only a tiny bit of fluid let in the sac but I also had a small leak in my sac where it would tear and then seal back up. End the end my baby was born early but since you are at your due date I wouldn't worry too much but if you mind is telling you to go in go listen to your body.

Samantha 07-03-2006 09:58 PM

I didnt read the responses but here is what I would do (and what I did when I wasnt sure if my water broke or not)

Go pee...and then go lay down for 15 minutes. Get up....if you felt a little gush of fluid, I would say get new undies and try it again :blush: but I am a little OCD and want to make SURE. If it happend for the 2nd time I would say its probably your water and it wouldnt hurt to go get checked out. Its a pretty quick and easy check to see if its your water.

Manna00 07-03-2006 10:12 PM

Thanks for the advice Sam! I have felt that little gush when I sit up... but I figured it was just a really full bladder.

I REALLY want to make sure before I go in to the hospital. I hate hospitals anyhow and don't want to boomerang and go in tomorrow and then go in on Thursday.

Still no "Trickle" per say... but I'll try that pee, lie down trick... thank goodness for mama pads! I'd be going through underwear like no one's business!!

lovemygirls 07-03-2006 10:26 PM

keep us posted. I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you.

masonite 07-03-2006 10:31 PM

With Camden I had been on bedrest for about 6 weeks, when my "water broke."

He was my 2nd baby, and I had a hard time telling! I stood up from my bed to tuck my son in. I had one initial "gush", but that was it. I really, really didn't want to be the girl who peed her pants and came into the hospital anyway! LOL! I kept trying lying down and standing up, and I never got a "gush" again, but I would get trickled on here and there. In the end, I went in to the hospital anyway... I was supposed to have been induced the next morning (I had a alot of problems...)

Anyway, they did the pH test, and sure enough my water had broken. But, when they checked my cervix, they could still feel my bag of waters. I was admitted and about 40 minutes later, the full bag of waters broke EVERYWHERE and Camden's head followed immediately after.

Point being (sorry, this is turning into a novel), they determined that my water had indeed broken---but rather than breaking the full bag (or both bags) I either had a "slow leak" or a tear in the upper part, or the fore bag of waters and broken and the other hadn't (usually they break at the same time).

If this continues, it could definitely be some action. Call your L&D and see what they say.

And good luck!

teachermama 07-03-2006 10:33 PM

I had the same thing happen to me with my first and I did end up calling the hospital just to be on the safe side. It was my first and I just wasn't quite sure what to think, but it was not enough fluid to feel like my water had broken, I just felt wet "down there" all the time.

The hospital told me basically what a pp told you.............to wipe after going to the bathroom, put on a clean pad and wait an hour to see how much fluid had come out. If the pad was noticeably wet, then I should call back and probably would be allowed to come in............if not, they told me that the fluid would continue to replenish itself until my labor commenced. I did not end up having enough fluid to be concerned.................and my daughter was born eventually by C-section (interestingly enough I did not have enough fluid left at that point to try to turn her and she became breech only days before my due date..........but that's a whole other issue). Good luck and just keep drinking lots to replenish and keep your body hydrated.